Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Updated Bolt-on Cali and T5/6 Solar Panels for 2017

On the 6.1 yes, earth to chassis , as is in my instructions but not on earlier models. Earthing to the chassis makes no difference and the Cali display does not register the solar charging.

On the 6.1 yes, earth to chassis , as is in my instructions but not on earlier models. Earthing to the chassis makes no difference and the Cali display does not register the solar charging.
Except on your dual charger you are also charging the starter battery.
the leisure battery negatives on the T6 are both connected to the shunt, so the negative from the starter battery would effectively be going through 2 shunts unless you use the chassis.

Ahh i see what you are saying. I not sure what effect that would have if the charger was isolated. As it is, it is screwed into a metal panel so it is chassis earthed anyhow, bypassing both shunts. I'll modify my instructions to chassis earth the starter earth on the charger in case it's own chassis earth is poor for any reason. The charger is always screwed to a metal panel so is usually earthed anyhow.

Reactions: Loz
I don't think you can rely on the bond between the wardrobe back panel(Dibond sheet) and the chassis unless you have added a bond strap. As you say though, it's easy enough to use chassis negative and cover all situations.

Back