California Club Meet Updated Information: Looe Meet - Oct 2020

Lulu

Lulu

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Looe Meet: Friday 2nd to Monday 5th October 2020

Trelawne, Looe, Cornwall PL13 2NA

=====================================================================================

**** Update on Looe Meet ****

Please Note: We are no longer classing this meet as a VW California Rally as we do not want to encourage anyone to go against the current COVID-19 restrictions that were announced this week and all group activities have been cancelled.

Your booking is with the campsite and you are still welcome to attend next weekend. Please ensure you go to reception to check in and you will be then be told where to pitch.

=====================================================================================

31st March update - Due to the current situation, this meet is now postponed. I have provisionally rescheduled it for the first weekend in October (2-5) but this will depend on whether we are out of the crisis by then. If not, it will have to be put back to next year.

I understand that there are many people facing financial problems over the next few months, so if you wish to cancel, please email your bank details to me and I will send you a refund.

lynne.pegler@talktalk.net

I hope you are all safe and well.

===============================================================
Camping Caradon is a very well maintained site with utility block for showers/toilets and washing up, a children’s play area, a small games room and a bar/restaurant with an adjoining club room which would be available for our use.
The site is located halfway between the seaside towns of Looe and Polperro. There is an hourly bus service from the campsite gate to both towns so no need to drive there! Both towns have a variety of shops, pubs, restaurants and cafes.
The South West Coast Path runs through both Looe and Polperro, so if you want to walk, you can get the bus to Looe, walk the 4 miles to Polperro via Talland Bay (with a café for a pit stop), then get the bus back from Polperro (or vice versa).
There are various local attractions for both adults and children e.g. The Lost Gardens of Helligan, The Eden Project, Monkey Sanctuary and Aquapark amongst many others. For literary fans, there is Daphne du Maurier’s Fowey and Winston Graham’s Charlestown (Poldark). See the Caradon website for more information.
https://campingcaradon.co.uk/local-area/local-area/
https://campingcaradon.co.uk/local-area/local-attractions/
Dogs are not allowed on the main beach in East Looe, but Hannafore Beach in West Looe allows dogs all year round as do Talland Bay and Polperro Beaches.

The Club is taking bookings for 50 VANS ONLY so we recommend booking early to avoid disappointment
The campsite have said that they would prefer the club to coordinate the bookings and these can be made via the link below. In discussions with Admin, as per usual club meets, the booking fee is non-refundable.

Cost
  • £48 per vehicle for the 3 nights – Friday 1st, Saturday 2nd and Sunday 3rd
  • £32 per vehicle for the 2 nights – Friday 1st and Saturday 2nd
  • £16.50 per vehicle for 1 night – Sunday 3rd for those already booked for 2 nights to extend their stay
This includes EHU with up to 2 adults, 2 children and 2 dogs and booking/transaction fees. Arrival is from 12 noon Friday, departure by 11am Monday. Any additional nights (at normal prices) should be booked direct with the campsite.

Note: unless you are booking for multiple vans, you are only buying ONE ticket for the 3 or 2 nights!!

This thread will be updated as the date approaches with details of planned events and anything else thought relevant. Happy to answer any queries along the way. This is a lovely area and just around an hour from Exeter.

https://campingcaradon.co.uk/
Camping Caradon is located on the South Cornish Coast between the two harbour towns of Looe 2.5 miles and Polperro 2.miles just 2 miles up from Talland Bay.
DIRECTIONS BY CAR: Head South on the M5 and at Exeter continue on the A38 towards Cornwall. Keep going on the A38 across the Tamar Bridge in Plymouth and Looe is signposted first left at the Trerulefoot roundabout approaching Liskeard. Follow signs to Looe and keep going through Looe harbour town across the bridge, and on towards Polperro.
Camping Caradon is signposted on the right hand side off the Looe to Polperro road and on the B3359, approximately 2½ miles from Looe. Turn right on to the B3359 and first right again,
Camping Caradon is located 200m up on the left hand side.
Sat-Nav Warning: Arriving from the Plymouth side your Sat Nav could take you over a small humpback bridge just before Looe and through some tiny back roads to Camping Caradon.
Do NOT cross the humpback bridge and train level crossing.
In your SAT NAV just type in Looe (not our postcode) that should take you on the right road into Looe. When you have reached Looe and crossed the bridge in Looe you can then find us either by our postcode or go by our direction and signage on the A387 till you reach us.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the initiative here @Lulu;)
Booked via the slinky linky
Havent been able to get to a meet this year, so good to get this in the diary
May make an extended trip of it:)

We’re in. Only for the Friday / Saturday nights though. Monday 4th May is NOT a public holiday next year (they’ve moved to Friday for the 75th anniversary of VE Day)
Now that is annoying!

I guess we will have to bunk the boys off school on the Monday!

3 nights booked. Looking forward to meeting all you Cali lovers Thanks for arranging and the invite Lulu x

Layla and the Trogs have booked in for the 3 nights and have enquired about a longer stay. Have never been to a club meet or indeed ever met another Cali owner. Are you a friendly bunch? Do we need to bring G&T to make friends? Looking forward to the meet up.

Layla and the Trogs have booked in for the 3 nights and have enquired about a longer stay. Have never been to a club meet or indeed ever met another Cali owner. Are you a friendly bunch? Do we need to bring G&T to make friends? Looking forward to the meet up.
Only one rule.

Those on a first meet are required by convention to buy a full round in the bar. :)

Last edited:
Only one rule.

Those on a first meet and required by convention to buy a full round in the bar. :)
I could say we are very religious and condone the consumption of any alcoholic beverage, but that would be a lie. I’d heard that the existing members welcome new ones by each buying a drink on your first visit. I would struggle to drink that much on the first night, but we are there for three!

You also have to do the special initiation dance whilst everyone gathers in a circle around you.
My wife is often the first on the floor, so I volunteer her in advance. Argentine Tango is her specialty. Any leaders there?