Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Updating new maps Kenwood DNX521 Dab

P

Pete Wilkins

VIP Member
The maps and system is now three years old was thinking of updating the maps has anyone done it, is it easy or can there be downfalls and should we let a expert do it.

Not done it yet, but have been planning to have a go. Ours is also 3 years old and seems to have developed a mind of its own own recently trying to take some quite bizarre routes. I did download a plug in for my mac book, called communicator, from the kenwood website but that is as far as I have got. I think that is to enable you to download the maps updates. I'll repost if I get any further.

Not done it yet, but have been planning to have a go. Ours is also 3 years old and seems to have developed a mind of its own own recently trying to take some quite bizarre routes. I did download a plug in for my mac book, called communicator, from the kenwood website but that is as far as I have got. I think that is to enable you to download the maps updates. I'll repost if I get any further.

That's as far as i have got i have got to give it ago in next two weeks, will post up how it goes

I updated the maps in the spring of this year, and the latest software the maps are only a year newer than what was on the system originally. I am not sure what map info is new, it is still a few years out of date now I think it was 2014 maps and I had 2013 they could not tell me when the latest maps will be released, i am not sure it was worth updating, for the cost and for the very small map changes I receved.

I have a 2014 T5 ,system is RNS 510 edition 05.2014.
In the blurb on the VW site it says something about easy to update yourself and ? free for life , but their "how to " videos are not at all helpful.

Anyone know what to do and whether worth it as the system is pretty good apart from some minor misses on new roads.

I have a 2014 T5 ,system is RNS 510 edition 05.2014.
In the blurb on the VW site it says something about easy to update yourself and ? free for life , but their "how to " videos are not at all helpful.

Anyone know what to do and whether worth it as the system is pretty good apart from some minor misses on new roads.
You can purchase an Update CD from VW - latest costs about £99 or so.
Or you can read this thread.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/rns-510-upgrade.28663/

Back