Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upgrade options with factory reverse camera

E

Elrao

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Looking at options to upgrade the standard head unit in a T6.1 with a factory reverse camera. Must be compatible with the steering wheel controls, praking sensors and the reverse camera. Is there such a thing?

Looking at options to upgrade the standard head unit in a T6.1 with a factory reverse camera. Must be compatible with the steering wheel controls, praking sensors and the reverse camera. Is there such a thing?
Yes.
Contact Absolut5, a Forum member I believe, to discuss your requirements.

Two other options for supply and Fit (Both VW approved retro fitters)

SatNav Systems ( Chertsey )

Hazzydays (St,Albans )

Both of those look more tailored to retrofitting VW parts, which is not my aim. I am really looking to identify a suitable aftermarket headunit that will retain the integration with the existing steering wheel and camera.

Both of those look more tailored to retrofitting VW parts, which is not my aim. I am really looking to identify a suitable aftermarket headunit that will retain the integration with the existing steering wheel and camera.
See my Post 2. They only do 3rd party, not OEM.

Agree with WG re Absolut5. We used them for a special unit for our T6, very happy.

Thanks, plan would be to fit myself - so don't really want to take time getting advice from a company that I probably would not use (unless price was competitive on a supply only basis). Was hoping for a recommendation of a unit someone has used that is compatible.

Thanks, plan would be to fit myself - so don't really want to take time getting advice from a company that I probably would not use (unless price was competitive on a supply only basis). Was hoping for a recommendation of a unit someone has used that is compatible.
They would supply the unit, together with all leads etc to make it plug and play . Your choice.

Kenwood DMX8019 + Kenwood interface lead
will give you the features that you are looking for.

Absolut5 can supply both and give excellent support. They can also give advice on other units.

Other suppliers will generally try to sell you a non Kenwood interface lead which will result in inferior graphics on the head unit, will not display Radio station on MFD, requires splicing wires etc…rather than just being plug + play.

Thanks, will check it out. Assume you need some sort of interface cable for the reverse camera as well (or that it is included in the harness you mentioned).

Really only looking for wireless Airplay, got used to it in my Mini, so much easier than the system in the Volvo!

Would really like a digital dash, but as the camper doesn't have the discover media unit in, tat would be an expensive upgrade!

Thanks, will check it out. Assume you need some sort of interface cable for the reverse camera as well (or that it is included in the harness you mentioned).

Really only looking for wireless Airplay, got used to it in my Mini, so much easier than the system in the Volvo!

Would really like a digital dash, but as the camper doesn't have the discover media unit in, tat would be an expensive upgrade!
Seems like a lot of hassle just to get wireless. Wouldn't you better off keeping the factory head unit & adding something like a "carlinkit" which is designed to be left plugged into one of the USB sockets instead of your phone, making your phone a completely wireless connection.

There is a standard input on the back of the unit for the reverse camera. Also displays the parking sensors (as we don’t have a camera fitted).

+ has wireless carplay; Mirrors your phone so you get Waze, Google Maps, WhatsApp etc (you just speak and it types the message for you & will also read out incoming messages)

Appologies I mis understood your quote:

”Looking at options to upgrade the standard head unit in a T6.1 with a factory reverse camera”

I thought you wanted to fit an OEM reversing camera to the standard head unit.

you are correct, both those companies would be OEM

Fitting the unit yourself won’t be an issue. One reason it’s worth calling Jason at Absolut 5 is that he supplies the correct interface for your specific vehicle to make sure the parking sensors / reversing camera works correctly which I believe relates to your question. The interface is what makes it compatible with your vehicle, not the replacement stereo.

Whether you just the actual headunit from them is up to you.

Getting anything worthwhile at present is almost impossible due to the semiconductor shortages as Jason at Absolut5 will no doubt tell you. Maybe by this time next year there will be supplies in stock!

I retro fitted a genuine VW T6 rear view camera a couple of years ago. Bought on ebay from Germany.

Instructions were good and no issues with quality of the camera. It has been a god send in some very tricky tight spots.

It cost around £220.

The only concern was needing to cut a 40x40 mm square hole in the tailgate metal above the number plate. So lots of measuring and use of dremel and file. Then full paint protection before fitting the camera.

Integrates in to existing VW head unit but did require vcds coding.

This company is offering to do everything for you on ebay.

If you are interested I can try to find details of the VW camera and loom I bought. Let me know.

I had a T6.1 Ocean hire van and it came with wireless car play as standard? So that OEM head unit should fit the bill for you surely, if you dont already have it?

Then again - I couldnt for the life of me work out why someone would want wireless car play. It seemed to drain the battery in the phone so quickly that you had to plug it in straight away to keep any level of charge, in which case you havent really gained anything...

Kenwood DMX8019 + Kenwood interface lead
will give you the features that you are looking for.

Absolut5 can supply both and give excellent support. They can also give advice on other units.

Other suppliers will generally try to sell you a non Kenwood interface lead which will result in inferior graphics on the head unit, will not display Radio station on MFD, requires splicing wires etc…rather than just being plug + play.
Turns out there aren't so many options on the T6.1 without cutting plastic behind the dash, as the T6.1 has a two part ICE system, so can only take a half depth unit without it.

Spoke to Absolut5, and no option available at the moment that will fit (without cutting) that can work with factory camera and wireless carplay!

Turns out there aren't so many options on the T6.1 without cutting plastic behind the dash, as the T6.1 has a two part ICE system, so can only take a half depth unit without it.

Spoke to Absolut5, and no option available at the moment that will fit (without cutting) that can work with factory camera and wireless carplay!
I thought you already had a screen and parking sensors and you were just trying to get a camera that would show up on the existing screen with the sensors overlaid like this i.e. as per factory spec https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/reversing-camera.14155/ ?

These guys seem to have done a few installs with and without screens being fitted but I don't know about the cutting
http://professionalvwconversions.co.uk/rear-view-camera-systems-t6/

Last edited:
I thought you already had a screen and parking sensors and you were just trying to get a camera that would show up on the existing screen with the sensors overlaid like this i.e. as per factory spec https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/reversing-camera.14155/
No.

Have a factory reversing camera, but the basic head unit is very poor.

Looking for options to upgrade the head unit, but retain use of the existing sensors, camera, controls.

Even with cutting away plastic behind the dash, you lose the USB C ports in the front and the SOS function.

Back