Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upgrading alloys...watch outs?

David Bailey

David Bailey

Jaunty
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi all

I have a 4motion DSG Ocean, which I would like to put 18in alloys on, and wanting to understand the watch outs.

I am trying to improve the handling just a little...I know it’s a camper but a little less lurching around the corners would be nice.

I understand first of all that you can’t lower the suspension on the 4 motions...is that correct?

Any reason you could not put 18in wheels to replace the current 17s

I am only going to be genuine VW ones on, seems easier to find if you search under transporter...but is there an easy way to check a part number or something to ensure comparability? I know they need to be heavy duty for instance?

Any other watch outs or experiences....I know it will ruin the ride, but to be honest a bit more firmness would be appreciated.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18" wheels are absolutely fine, have a look at the T6 Sportline range, they are load rated for your Cali. One inch difference won't make much difference to your ride.

I switched to 20's after a couple of months on 17's and didn't notice much difference in ride quality if I'm honest. I let the insurance company know, but it didn't change my price, but they took note of the cost of them. I DO NOTICE, every time I curb them though !!!!!

Hi all

I have a 4motion DSG Ocean, which I would like to put 18in alloys on, and wanting to understand the watch outs.

I am trying to improve the handling just a little...I know it’s a camper but a little less lurching around the corners would be nice.

I understand first of all that you can’t lower the suspension on the 4 motions...is that correct?

I am only going to be genuine VW ones on, seems easier to find if you search under transporter...but is there an easy way to check a part number or something to ensure comparability? I know they need to be heavy duty for instance?

Any other watch outs or experiences....I know it will ruin the ride, but to be honest a bit more firmness would be appreciated.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

I presume you have a 17" steel spare. Keep it as a get you home tyre as the 18" won't fit in the Spare Wheel Carrier.
I can't say I've noticed any problems on my T5.1 4Motion but it does have the HD Anti-roll bars fitted.

Of course, had not thought about it the spare.

Yes I am thinking about the HD ant roll bars, one thing at a time though.

I have found a couple of nice sets with tyres included on eBay (new), so probably won’t go the sport line route, hence my concern about load rating.

No experience with 4 motion but if possible lower on -30mm VW sportline springs £400 ish at a dealers then you have the warranty, they take the body roll out and firm the ride up to the extent of reducing car sickness. But if I had a 4 Motion I would be raising it and fitting bigger wheels plus a snorkel kit, going for the Tonka toy look but we are all different.

https://www.seikel.de/produkt-kategorie/volkswagen-t6-eh/?lang=eh
T5_Extreme_07.jpg

Based on that sentence, I'd start with roll bars, then springs, before bigger wheels.

Good advice. I guess I believed the HD roll bars are heavy, the lowering is problematic on the 4 motion, although having read a few more other posts I am not sure that’s true.

The wheels have the side benefit...if you’ll excuse the pun...of looking good. Very vain I know.

Will explore the bars and lowering with a dealer tomorrow.

Stick to the big names and make sure they are load rated.
BBS, Borbet and Autec all offer load rated alloys for the T-range and of course Volkswagen.

Be aware that some aftermarket alloys use a different size wheel bolt, i.e. 17mm head as apposed to 19mm, on our first van we had to carry a set of spare bolts for the VW spare.

I switched to 20's after a couple of months on 17's and didn't notice much difference in ride quality

Wow!!!!! Do you understand the meaning of “ride quality”?

If you're going for genuine California Alloys the 18"s are rare and expensive in any format.

I'd like 18"s but don't want to go aftermarket.

Wow!!!!! Do you understand the meaning of “ride quality”?
Yep I think I do... having owned series 3 land rovers, through to discoveries, and daily ride a KTM to London over all the speed bumps.... and a golf R.... oh, maybe I do like firmer rides. Still didn’t notice much difference in the switch... of course it’s not as much fun over speed bumps and pot holes.

I went through the 'you can't lower a 4 Motion' saga. Got some illogical reason as it upsets the bluemotion/regenerative charging.
I've lowered using air suspension with no charging problems.

Definitely have the antiroll bars uprated. H&R ones are highly rated. VW HD ones on factory or dealer fit is another route.
Many sources of H&R also free fit them. Mine were £341 fitted. Now have zero body roll when combined with Bilstein Air suspension.

If uprating/lowering the van I'd recommend doing a full conversion of springs and dampers. You could go the whole way and have Bilstein adjustable height ones where you can have your own ride height set.
The DSG 4M needs to have the T32 or 2.5ltr engine front springs not the standard 2 wheel drive ones. Vanstyle can supply the correct ones but won't fit to a 4M. Need to find your own fitting source.

Might be worth a visit to Stanced UK in Reading for a view on what can be done. They do vans mainly. Haven't dealt with them personally but not seen anything negative about them.

Last edited:
I went through the 'you can't lower a 4 Motion' saga. Got some illogical reason as it upsets the bluemotion/regenerative charging.
I've lowered using air suspension with no charging problems.

Definitely have the antiroll bars uprated. H&R ones are highly rated. VW HD ones on factory or dealer fit is another route.
Many sources of H&R also free fit them. Mine were £415 fitted. Now have zero body roll combined with Bilstein Air suspension.

If uprating/lowering the van I'd recommend doing a full conversion of springs and dampers. You could go the whole way and have Bilstein adjustable height ones where you can have your own ride height set.
The DSG 4M needs to have the T32 or 2.5ltr engine front springs not the standard 2 wheel drive ones. Vanstyle can supply the correct ones but won't fit to a 4M. Need to find your own fitting source.

Might be worth a visit to Stanced UK in Reading for a view on what can be done. They do vans mainly. Haven't dealt with them personally but not seen anything negative about them.

Thanks for taking the time to make such as informative reply to the question. Think I will do the roll bars to start and see what difference it makes before doing anything else.

Thanks

If going to 18" wheels you basically only change the wheel diameter. The tyre sidewall height is reduced to give the same overall measurement as the 17" wheel/tyre combination.
Usually 18" tyres have 255 width with a 45 profile. 17" now have 235 with 55 profile.
If not familiar with profiles it's the height of the sidewall in relation to the width as a %.

Good advice previously given in relation to wheel brands.
The T5 & T6 have 120PCD and a centre bore of 65.1mm (the hole in the wheel which actually locates onto the hub). Some aftermarket wheels have a larger centre hole and use a plastic spigot ring to fill the gap, best avoided.
Both the actual wheel rim and the tyres need to have the correct load carrying capacity. Some seemingly good deals may not have either and be suited for car use only.

I found a set of 18" rims that the dealer said was OK for a T6 but checked with the manufacturer and found that they weren't, for commercial vehicles, cars only. Disappointing as I liked the wheels.

I’m still waiting for someone with air suspension to explain to me how the tracking is corrected when the ride height is altered?

I’m still waiting for someone with air suspension to explain to me how the tracking is corrected when the ride height is altered?
I have mine set up on the lowered position, or sports mode to some. I had it raised to see what difference it made and it was less than 1 mm.
As I do the long mileages in the lowered position the tracking is correctly set for that, standard height is only on tracks or really rough roads so no great effect on tracking wear. Low setting is only used for parked to enable easy exit/access, not had any low carpark bariers to limbo under as yet but as only for a few yards it would have little effect on tyre wear.

As air suspension keeps a constant height whatever load is carried the tracking will always be correct.
Steel sprung Cali's will change ride height with load which will upset the tracking making them more susceptible to tyre wear than air sprung ones.

Probably not what you thought.

Hi all

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Hi

I just put 18” Topekas on my T5 Cal. Look great. No difference to drive.

Got them through German eBay. Loads cheaper. Fantastic nearly new condition and got tyres with 18 months tread too. Bargain.

I have mine set up on the lowered position, or sports mode to some. I had it raised to see what difference it made and it was less than 1 mm.
As I do the long mileages in the lowered position the tracking is correctly set for that, standard height is only on tracks or really rough roads so no great effect on tracking wear. Low setting is only used for parked to enable easy exit/access, not had any low carpark bariers to limbo under as yet but as only for a few yards it would have little effect on tyre wear.

As air suspension keeps a constant height whatever load is carried the tracking will always be correct.
Steel sprung Cali's will change ride height with load which will upset the tracking making them more susceptible to tyre wear than air sprung ones.

Probably not what you thought.
How does it maintain a constant height, regardless of load without moving the suspension?

How does it maintain a constant height, regardless of load without moving the suspension?
Sensors on the suspension arms monitor the vehicle height and add or remove air to maintain preset level. This is with a fully controlled dynamic system with on board compressor(s), air tank, sensors and control unit.

This can be witnessed when refuelling from a nearly empty tank when the cali slowly drops as fuel is added then the air system raises the Cali back up. This happens 2 or 3 times during the refuelling process. A bit of a surprise the first time.

Very basic ones would need external air supply before departing to manually set the required height which would remain until reset manually.

Obviously the air bag allows normal suspension travel over bumps.

Ah thanks. I’ve used lazer triangulation systems before to maintain vehicle height/attitude.

I found my Beach (not 4Motion) a bit wallowy around corners & into roundabouts in stock setup, but mostly changed the wheels for the looks as the UK T6 Beach comes on undersized 16” alloys. I got the OEM lowering kit and 18” Sportlines fitted at my Dealer at the same time.

I feel that VW OEM wheels are the safest bet & also look ‘the most right’. The T5 generation Sportlines are my favourite wheels ever, but you can’t get them anywhere new anymore & they’re rare and overpriced on eBay.

It’s a very subjective area, but on balance I *think* I should’ve gone with the lowering kit first & then probably moved to 17” alloys after I’d lived with it for a bit. I told a friend of mine with a T5.1 that I thought I’d knackered the ride quality & he said “yeah, but that doesn’t matter - it still looks ****ing cool” :D

full