Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upgrading from my beautiful Ocean to a Grand Cali

Steve Gray

Steve Gray

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Having made the hardest decision to trade in my beautiful T6 Ocean for a brand new Grand California 600 3.5t does anyone have a handover check list of accessories that are supplied with the van from new that I can check are with my new Grand Cali (things like child bunk net, washing up bowls etc etc)

Hello Steve,

On the 07/07 of this year we made the same change. It was hard, because we almost organized the Ocean exactly as we wanted it. But at the end it was to small for us.

The Ocean was my daily drive. Now with the GC 600 that changed - actually it is a big change for us. I still will use the GC 600 for daily drive if I know that there is enough room for parking where I want to go. But it turned out there are more places with size restrictions as I expected.

I can't exactly remember what came with the camper, but let me try:

• A box with various parts for the gas system (that might be not in your case if you have a diesel heater)
  • A small net for the upper bed
  • Airpump for the tyres
  • First aid kit
  • Yellow jacket
  • Handel for the awning
  • Small pile of manuals

On the passenger side, under the footwell, is space for tools. I didn't check this yet. So I don't know whats in there.

I believe that was all (if I remember correctly). Take your time and check the windows and the skylights. My skylights didn't work, I couldn't open them. It takes only a second to check this.

We had a wee bit of trouble at the beginning, so we haven't finished organize the space in the new camper. I feel it is quite different to the Ocean. I still argue with my wife that there is not sooooo much space in the GC 600 as it might look like.

Have a wonderful time and always save travels and cheap Diesel.

Happy new Grand California,
Eberhard

Hello Steve,

On the 07/07 of this year we made the same change. It was hard, because we almost organized the Ocean exactly as we wanted it. But at the end it was to small for us.

The Ocean was my daily drive. Now with the GC 600 that changed - actually it is a big change for us. I still will use the GC 600 for daily drive if I know that there is enough room for parking where I want to go. But it turned out there are more places with size restrictions as I expected.

I can't exactly remember what came with the camper, but let me try:

• A box with various parts for the gas system (that might be not in your case if you have a diesel heater)
  • A small net for the upper bed
  • Airpump for the tyres
  • First aid kit
  • Yellow jacket
  • Handel for the awning
  • Small pile of manuals

On the passenger side, under the footwell, is space for tools. I didn't check this yet. So I don't know whats in there.

I believe that was all (if I remember correctly). Take your time and check the windows and the skylights. My skylights didn't work, I couldn't open them. It takes only a second to check this.

We had a wee bit of trouble at the beginning, so we haven't finished organize the space in the new camper. I feel it is quite different to the Ocean. I still argue with my wife that there is not sooooo much space in the GC 600 as it might look like.

Have a wonderful time and always save travels and cheap Diesel.

Happy new Grand California,
Eberhard
Thank you Eberhard. It has been very hard to make a decision to part with my Ocean, whilst excited about the new challenge with the Grand California it still feels strange giving up my Cali. Thank you for the list it is a good start to check for things on pre delivery. It looks like you are enjoying the Grand California I am sure both my wife and I will too.

Hi Steve,
Nothing to do with your question but I would highly recommend the option ACC, its brilliant and I wouldn't be without it.

Hi Steve,
Nothing to do with your question but I would highly recommend the option ACC, its brilliant and I wouldn't be without it.
Thank you for the advice Simon, unfortunately the Grand Cali I have bought is already at the dealership so I do not have the ability to change the spec unfortunately. Thank you

Thank you for the advice Simon, unfortunately the Grand Cali I have bought is already at the dealership so I do not have the ability to change the spec unfortunately. Thank you
Sorry I thought you were just about to order!
I'm sure you'll love the van although it took me a while to bond with mine but now I have and I love driving it.

Check your tool kit passenger footwell, I fitted a spare wheel so had a Jack
Check there is no glue staining to the work top of the galley. Manifested about 3/4 weeks after handover. Looks yellow.
Check overhead locker doors are tight when closed as will drop open on journey.
Check, have them prime the Truma boiler making sure heating a water system works.

Not sure when yours was built but the GC has/had problems with the water tap, this has now been updated, be interested to know if yours came with the new tap.

Oh look out for low tree branches.

Anyway good luck looking forward to seeing your photos.

Will

Check your tool kit passenger footwell, I fitted a spare wheel so had a Jack
Check there is no glue staining to the work top of the galley. Manifested about 3/4 weeks after handover. Looks yellow.
Check overhead locker doors are tight when closed as will drop open on journey.
Check, have them prime the Truma boiler making sure heating a water system works.

Not sure when yours was built but the GC has/had problems with the water tap, this has now been updated, be interested to know if yours came with the new tap.

Oh look out for low tree branches.

Anyway good luck looking forward to seeing your photos.

Will
Thank you for the advice Will much appreciated.

I pick the Grand Cali up in two weeks from VW Lancashire Van Centre.
Can I just ask if the handover takes place on the 5th? The reason I ask is that I’m hoping to view a White T6 Ocean 204 4Motion there on that day!

Can I just ask if the handover takes place on the 5th? The reason I ask is that I’m hoping to view a White T6 Ocean 204 4Motion there on that day!
Yes on the 5th, it sounds like you may be viewing my California it is a 204 4Motion I have had it from new and it has only done 10,026 miles. If it is mine Cali you are viewing I don’t think you will be disappointed it has been looked after better than my wife and everyone always comments on how nice it is. It has been a really tough decision to part with it but we just wanted a Grand California.

Yes on the 5th, it sounds like you may be viewing my California it is a 204 4Motion I have had it from new and it has only done 10,026 miles. If it is mine Cali you are viewing I don’t think you will be disappointed it has been looked after better than my wife and everyone always comments on how nice it is. It has been a really tough decision to part with it but we just wanted a Grand California.
Thanks Steve, yes, I think that’s the one. Steve from Lancashire VW phoned me about it on Friday afternoon. I promise I’ll look after it. I currently have an IH 600 RD and want to downsize. My OH passed away late last year so now there is just me and my toy poodle. I plan to get rid of my car too and use the Cali as my daily drive. I’m very excited about seeing it. How strange I should see your post on here! Many thanks. Christine.

Thanks Steve, yes, I think that’s the one. Steve from Lancashire VW phoned me about it on Friday afternoon. I promise I’ll look after it. I currently have an IH 600 RD and want to downsize. My OH passed away late last year so now there is just me and my toy poodle. I plan to get rid of my car too and use the Cali as my daily drive. I’m very excited about seeing it. How strange I should see your post on here! Many thanks. Christine.
Hi Christine, it very much sounds like it is my Cali the timings and date match up and I did not see any white 204 4Motions on the forecourt. If it is my Cali, it is like brand new, it is fully loaded with leather suede seats, Oxy Pearl white colour, chrome kit I had chrome side bars fitted and sportline wheels. It is a lovely van and I am sure you will fall in love with him. We named him Casper (after Casper the ghost due to his white colour) and I hope he gets a good home with someone that looks after him as much as I do. Happy travels.
Steve

Hi Christine.
Just a thought, if you decide to purchase the California next week at VW Lancashire Van Centre, I have a few things that might interest you before I advertise them that I bought for the Cali and are no longer useful for a Grand Cali:- they are, either a Rainbow Screen pop top cover measured for the Cali and a screen cover both in maroon, or I have a Cali topper which covers all the pop top completely. I also have a Thretford 335 porta loo like new and a special base to allow it to fit in the Cali cupboard. I only live 1.5 miles from VW Lancashire vans if you wanted to see them on the 5th whilst you are in the area (if you purchase the vehicle). Just thought I would put this out to you before I advertise them. No problems if you are not interested just thought you should know.

Hi Christine.
Just a thought, if you decide to purchase the California next week at VW Lancashire Van Centre, I have a few things that might interest you before I advertise them that I bought for the Cali and are no longer useful for a Grand Cali:- they are, either a Rainbow Screen pop top cover measured for the Cali and a screen cover both in maroon, or I have a Cali topper which covers all the pop top completely. I also have a Thretford 335 porta loo like new and a special base to allow it to fit in the Cali cupboard. I only live 1.5 miles from VW Lancashire vans if you wanted to see them on the 5th whilst you are in the area (if you purchase the vehicle). Just thought I would put this out to you before I advertise them. No problems if you are not interested just thought you should know.
Hi Steve
I would definitely be interested. Should I message you when I’m there or you can have my email address or authorise Steven Marshall to give me your number (or he can contact you) when I‘m there. Happy to travel to you if I decide to purchase. I’m in their hands at the moment as Steve is apparently on holiday until the 4th which I only discovered when I contacted him to email the spec to me. He went through it on the phone but wanted to review it before the 5th. I just like things in writing!

Hi Steve
I would definitely be interested. Should I message you when I’m there or you can have my email address or authorise Steven Marshall to give me your number (or he can contact you) when I‘m there. Happy to travel to you if I decide to purchase. I’m in their hands at the moment as Steve is apparently on holiday until the 4th which I only discovered when I contacted him to email the spec to me. He went through it on the phone but wanted to review it before the 5th. I just like things in writing!

Last edited:
Having made the hardest decision to trade in my beautiful T6 Ocean for a brand new Grand California 600 3.5t does anyone have a handover check list of accessories that are supplied with the van from new that I can check are with my new Grand Cali (things like child bunk net, washing up bowls etc etc)
UPGRADE?????

The Grand California is bigger and therefore automatically seen as an upgrade. I am still puzzled when people say that there is a bigger version availalbe to the GC 600, as if the GC 680 is the more superior than the GC 600.

It seems that the press and all the Youtuber have problems to see the various verions of the California family as indivitual vehicles with there special uses.

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard

The Grand California is bigger and therefore automatically seen as an upgrade. I am still puzzled when people say that there is a bigger version availalbe to the GC 600, as if the GC 680 is the more superior than the GC 600.

It seems that the press and all the Youtuber have problems to see the various verions of the California family as indivitual vehicles with there special uses.

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard
Ageed, I have had all three, ie T6 Ocean and a 600. The 680 is very similar to the 600 although the 680 wins hands down with regards to stowage.

Loved them all especially the T6. But the Grands offer more as you will appreciate.

Will

Back