Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upgrading Part Exchange vs. Private Sale Question

skinnywhippet

skinnywhippet

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all, we're considering upgrading our 2014 SE to a new Ocean. Part exchange would be easier of course, does anyone know of any dealers who were particularly helpful with discount/PX values, or am I going to be much better off selling privately (e.g. through the 'for sale' section here)?

Thanks!

If you price it correctly say £3000 more than you are offered as a trade in it will sell on here in days

That's a very useful point - get a trade-in price and advertise here as you suggest and maybe use the trade-in as a backstop (sorry - controversial word!) in case it doesn't sell by the time the new one is ready. We'll give it some thought, not decided yet whether to change this year or next.

I’d advise selling privately as the px value the dealer will offer you will be much lower than the value you will get from a private sale. This was confirmed to us by a VW dealership!
Saying that I know that We Buy any car.com were offering good trade in values at some point last year so might be worth checking that.

Hi all, we're considering upgrading our 2014 SE to a new Ocean. Part exchange would be easier of course, does anyone know of any dealers who were particularly helpful with discount/PX values, or am I going to be much better off selling privately (e.g. through the 'for sale' section here)?

Thanks!
Not sure this helps but I bought ours after seeing it advertised on here. If it’s in good condition with the all so vital service record you should do ok. The guy I bought off was honest and fair. He just wanted more than the part exchange price and we wanted a Cali that was priced fairly taking into account no warranty, etc. I felt I had had a good deal and he had cash in the bank. Both winners. Good luck.

Thanks for the comments, really useful. We’ve treated the van very well so I think a private buyer would appreciate it.

However we were thinking of the petrol version but I’ve just realised that’s not available any more, so we might wait and see what happens with the planned hybrids.

Hoped not to own another Diesel because we will be using it as a second car in years to come and it seems restricting Diesels in cities is becoming more of a thing.

William

Back