Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upgrading T6 basic headlights (for bike lights)

vananarama

vananarama

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Has anyone ever been given a price to upgrade the underwhelming headlights on the T6 to the LED versions via a main dealer? Suppose it’ll be eye wateringly expensive given, A) it’s not a simple job, and B) main dealers are stupidly overpriced. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone ever been given a price to upgrade the underwhelming headlights on the T6 to the LED versions via a main dealer? Suppose it’ll be eye wateringly expensive given, A) it’s not a simple job, and B) main dealers are stupidly overpriced. Thanks!

Main Dealerships won't do it. Only 3rd party companies will, such as Hazzy Days as mentioned above by @subthree

If you have the very basic H4 lights I found a reasonable difference with the H7 units (as standard on the Ocean) which are relatively easy to fit.

I was unhappy before and I'm happy now, if I were to order again I'd spend the money on other options before LED headlights.

We changed our factory T6 headlights for the ones from Transporter HQ. Very happy.

We changed our factory T6 headlights for the ones from Transporter HQ. Very happy.
We did the same (H7s with LED DRLs) a few years ago, fitted them ourselves after watching their video, and are v happy with tem
Can recommend Transporter HQ, we had an early problem with one of the DLRs, but it was sorted by THQ without any problems.

Converting to VW LED headlights isn't a cheap option.

Possible options in price steps are.

If H4 headlights fitted currently.

Osram H4 +150% bulbs. Under £30.

Change headlights to Halogen twin H7 units. These can be sourced fairly cheaply from van owners going to LED upgrade. Need wiring and control changes to allow for both dip & main lights to be on simultaneously.

Fit transporter HQ V3 light units. Note only the DRL's are LED in standard option. LED can be added but not technically road legal.
Have seen some issues with indicator brightness. Possibly now resolved.
This seems the logical route if replacing H4 units.

If H7 headlights fitted.

Osram H7 +150% halogen bulbs. £40ish for 4 bulbs + DRL LED bulbs.

Osram H7 Gen2 LED bulbs . £160 for 4 bulbs. + DRL LED bulbs.
Not road legal.

Fit Transporter HQ V3 LED headlights--as above.

I changed my 2018 Oceans using the Ostmark plus 150% bulbs for under £30. They are better but after coming from a vehicle with xenon headlights, the standard VW lamps are pretty pathetic for a vehicle of this value.
I did not have the option to choose the led headlights but my neighbour who had them fitted from new and the difference is mind boggling, but it cost him around £1500 so is it worth it? I would say yes.

........Osram!

Main Dealerships won't do it. Only 3rd party companies will, such as Hazzy Days as mentioned above by @subthree
I was quoted £4700 by main dealer and the explanation was this included re codeing, self leveling mod, light washers as required by mot ?
I did not go ahead and to this day still am looking at alternatives. Quite like the idea of led lamps in existing units at £100.00 the pair as they are proving reliable now.

After being similarly underwhelmed I purchased the T6 aftermarket option from the guys at Transporter HQ and chose the LED bulb upgrade option. This was supply only and required me to fit. Given I am not mechanically minded I managed to remove the front bumper, headlights, fit and am more than satisfied with the output. Seemed to recall it was around the £500 mark.

I was quoted £4700 by main dealer and the explanation was this included re codeing, self leveling mod, light washers as required by mot ?
I did not go ahead and to this day still am looking at alternatives. Quite like the idea of led lamps in existing units at £100.00 the pair as they are proving reliable now.
And illegal I'm afraid for on road use. Also if involved in a crash, particularly at night, and the Insurance company find out - No Insurance, also is a MOT failure. But your choice.

VW Main Dealers will be contractually required to only provide VW approved parts and to full original spec plus being fully compliant with all legal requirements.
Hence the cost to supply and fit Auto level and washer systems.

LED headlights must have auto levelling or the vehicle must have auto levelling suspension, air suspension with auto level control is acceptable.
Washer system doesn't appear to be an MOT requirement, auto levelling does. I've seen many quotes of vans passing MOT with LED bulbs in standard headlights but-----

Change headlights to Halogen twin H7 units. These can be sourced fairly cheaply from van owners going to LED upgrade. Need wiring and control changes to allow for both dip & main lights to be on simultaneously.
A minor point but my T6 only needed recoding with VCDS in order to get both lamps lit with high beam.

it was interesting before the coding as pulling the stalk to flash brought both lamps on but high beam left a dark spot in front of the van as the dip beam lamps were off.

Washer system doesn't appear to be an MOT requirement, auto levelling does. I've seen many quotes of vans passing MOT with LED bulbs in standard headlights but-----

The rules on the LED bulbs were tightened up this year, so what passed last year may not pass this year.

If the output is under 2000 lumens headlamp washers are not needed. As OEM LEDs are focused so well, 2000 lumens of LED actually gives you far more light in the right place than the same amount from a halogen bulb.

If you have the very basic H4 lights I found a reasonable difference with the H7 units (as standard on the Ocean) which are relatively easy to fit.

I was unhappy before and I'm happy now, if I were to order again I'd spend the money on other options before LED headlights.
In my defence, I didn't spec our van. Bought it new-ish this time last year as thought the Beach was getting, well, permanently beached. Thanks for this suggestion. I'll look into it.

Converting to VW LED headlights isn't a cheap option.

Possible options in price steps are.

If H4 headlights fitted currently.

Osram H4 +150% bulbs. Under £30.

Fit transporter HQ V3 light units. Note only the DRL's are LED in standard option. LED can be added but not technically road legal.
Have seen some issues with indicator brightness. Possibly now resolved.
This seems the logical route if replacing H4 units.

If H7 headlights fitted.

Osram H7 +150% halogen bulbs. £40ish for 4 bulbs + DRL LED bulbs.

Osram H7 Gen2 LED bulbs . £160 for 4 bulbs. + DRL LED bulbs.
Not road legal.

Fit Transporter HQ V3 LED headlights--as above.
Thanks very much indeed for taking the time to explain the options. Now...how do I work out if I have entry level headlights? I mean, apart from the fact that I sometimes go to turn on the lights at night and find they're already on?

Replacing the crappy h4 headlights with h7s is definitely the best idea.
But for those who did, how much did it cost ? Either by doing it yourself, or by doing it at the dealership?

Thanks very much indeed for taking the time to explain the options. Now...how do I work out if I have entry level headlights? I mean, apart from the fact that I sometimes go to turn on the lights at night and find they're already on?
H 4

E8FEA975-B159-435B-BE6C-EEC20BCED2E1.jpeg

H 7

D46CF4DA-8636-47C6-A5B9-ABA92DB52F27.jpeg

We did the same (H7s with LED DRLs) a few years ago, fitted them ourselves after watching their video, and are v happy with tem
Can recommend Transporter HQ, we had an early problem with one of the DLRs, but it was sorted by THQ without any problems.
Thanks for your recommendation. Just on the THQ website now...

Um. Thanks for posting. Now I’m really confused. (It’s not that hard to confuse me, admittedly.)
46d5fd3525b8672f0ac866ba34f8427c.jpg

Replacing the crappy h4 headlights with h7s is definitely the best idea.
But for those who did, how much did it cost ? Either by doing it yourself, or by doing it at the dealership?
So it seems that no one has really gone from H4 to H7 :rolleyes:

Back