Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upstairs mattress downstairs?

PhilR

PhilR

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
(Posted this a couple of weeks ago in the “beds & seating” section but no replies…..)

We fully intend to always sleep upstairs as only 2 of us. However, when it’s not suitable due to severe weather for example, we’ll sleep downstairs. We haven’t ordered the comfort mattress due to the space it takes up considering it’s intended lack of use. Looking at all the videos of self-inflating mattresses, they seem like far too much hassle. So for the very rare occasion, could we not just use the upstairs mattress downstairs? Yes I know it’s technically too big, but as it’s not too thick and fairly flexible I imagine, won’t it do? Not really seen this mentioned so would be interested to hear thoughts.
By the way, haven’t got the van yet in case you’re wondering why I haven’t just tried!!!

The upstairs mattress is a cumbersome thing to take in and out, even in an otherwise empty van. If your occasional use is, say, when it gets a bit windy to sleep upstairs, then lifting the roof to extract the mattress, may be difficult.

Ah, good point, thanks for that. Hadn’t really thought about that. Think I need to do some more research on the mattress options for downstairs then. Cheers

You may know this already - since the rear shelf is below the level of a flattened rear seat (in the 6.1 at least) there is a foam pad which I think VW call ‘bed extension’. This is separate to, but I think sold with, the ‘comfort mattress’.

We find the ‘comfort’ mattress and the upstairs mattress comfortable enough without any topper. We have a firm mattress at home.

(Posted this a couple of weeks ago in the “beds & seating” section but no replies…..)

We fully intend to always sleep upstairs as only 2 of us. However, when it’s not suitable due to severe weather for example, we’ll sleep downstairs. We haven’t ordered the comfort mattress due to the space it takes up considering it’s intended lack of use. Looking at all the videos of self-inflating mattresses, they seem like far too much hassle. So for the very rare occasion, could we not just use the upstairs mattress downstairs? Yes I know it’s technically too big, but as it’s not too thick and fairly flexible I imagine, won’t it do? Not really seen this mentioned so would be interested to hear thoughts.
By the way, haven’t got the van yet in case you’re wondering why I haven’t just tried!!!
The lower bed is some 4" narrower than upstairs, so is already a tighter sleep for 2 to share. With the larger upstairs mattress moved downstairs this will narrow the bed space even more (because the edges will need to be deformed). Also the downstairs mattress has a corner removed to go around the rear column. I think that you will find it totally uncomfortable. Where abouts are you? If you are close by, you are very welcome to see if it will work with my ocean (Stafford).

The lower bed is some 4" narrower than upstairs, so is already a tighter sleep for 2 to share. With the larger upstairs mattress moved downstairs this will narrow the bed space even more (because the edges will need to be deformed). Also the downstairs mattress has a corner removed to go around the rear column. I think that you will find it totally uncomfortable. Where abouts are you? If you are close by, you are very welcome to see if it will work with my ocean (Stafford).
Thanks, it’s not going to be an option then. Cheers for the info. I’m in Tamworth but thanks for the kind offer.

We bought the zone sleeper/mattress to replace the original mattress in 2017. We sleep 95% upstairs. When we had to sleep downstairs because of gale force winds , we put just the zone sleeper on the bottom bed , It’s not difficult.
We bought a double sleeping bag (can be used as single ones),that adds another comfort layer upstairs & downstairs. In fact the double sleeping bag is one of our best buys for the cali.

We bought the zone sleeper/mattress to replace the original mattress in 2017. We sleep 95% upstairs. When we had to sleep downstairs because of gale force winds , we put just the zone sleeper on the bottom bed , It’s not difficult.
We bought a double sleeping bag (can be used as single ones),that adds another comfort layer upstairs & downstairs. In fact the double sleeping bag is one of our best buys for the cali.
Thanks. Interesting about the sleeping bag - sounds a good idea.
Did you mean you replaced the upstairs (original) mattress with the zone sleep one?

Consensus is that the VW comfort mattress for the T6.1 is so thin that its pointless and not really much point having it. If you want a matress look at third party - either inflatable (look at the youtube videos by California Time) or something like a Duvalay (https://+++++++++++++++++++++++/product.php?prod=367)

Thanks. Interesting about the sleeping bag - sounds a good idea.
Did you mean you replaced the upstairs (original) mattress with the zone sleep on
yes we replaced the mattress with a zone sleeper/mattress ,think combination now superseded by zone sleeper ultra. Looking at shop site it seems to only selling zonesleeper ultra for downstairs, not in stock at present. There is video on the shop site.
Some come up for sale on here sometimes.

we have this double sleeping bag ,very cosy.

Last edited:
yes we replaced the mattress with a zone sleeper/mattress ,think combination now superseded by zone sleeper ultra. Looking at shop site it seems to only selling zonesleeper ultra for downstairs, not in stock at present. There is video on the shop site.
Some come up for sale on here sometimes.

we have this double sleeping bag ,very cosy.
Great stuff, thanks!

Consensus is that the VW comfort mattress for the T6.1 is so thin that its pointless and not really much point having it. If you want a matress look at third party - either inflatable (look at the youtube videos by California Time) or something like a Duvalay (https://+++++++++++++++++++++++/product.php?prod=367)
Thanks, yes we’ve watched Will & Sarah’s videos. I like their honest reviews.

Ah, good point, thanks for that. Hadn’t really thought about that. Think I need to do some more research on the mattress options for downstairs then. Cheers
Have you considered a Sea2Summit self inflating mattress? We use it upstairs and down. Upstairs on top of the original mattress with a wool topper (I’m a princess) and downstairs on top of everything should we need to.

I wouldn’t bother with the VW comfort mattress. Ridiculously uncomfortable.

Maybe we’re in a minority in finding the comfort mattress OK. The only thing that matters is finding something comfortable for you. Maybe worth trying rather than taking it as a given that it’s no use.

Have you considered a Sea2Summit self inflating mattress? We use it upstairs and down. Upstairs on top of the original mattress with a wool topper (I’m a princess) and downstairs on top of everything should we need to.

I wouldn’t bother with the VW comfort mattress. Ridiculously uncomfortable.
Yes I have considered it but concerned it takes up a lot of space and is a faff to set up/put away. Can you confirm or deny this!??

Maybe we’re in a minority in finding the comfort mattress OK. The only thing that matters is finding something comfortable for you. Maybe worth trying rather than taking it as a given that it’s no use.
Good point, however we haven’t ordered it with the vehicle. Can always add it I guess, but there seems to be more negative than positive comments/reviews on it.

Good point, however we haven’t ordered it with the vehicle. Can always add it I guess, but there seems to be more negative than positive comments/reviews on it.
Each to their own but the Comfort Mattress didn't work for us. Even compared to an ultralite thermarest inflatable which I camped on for years, its not great. We replaced it with a Brandrup equivalent (twice as thick and only a bit more money) and have a zonesleep on top. Perfect.

Thanks, it’s not going to be an option then. Cheers for the info. I’m in Tamworth but thanks for the kind offer.
If the weather is that bad your probably not going to have a restful night anyway. It would work for the emergency situation.

Yes I have considered it but concerned it takes up a lot of space and is a faff to set up/put away. Can you confirm or deny this!??
Yes! Haha. It is. But… we are going to store away the upstairs mattress at home, and replace with the inflatable mattress, ensuring it’s deflated before closing the roof. It should be fine. This then reduces the hassle massively and means it’s always up there, ready to go.

Having just spent our first week EVER in France (our first week and our first trip abroad), I can confirm this will be essential moving forward.

At this point, I can’t confirm whether this will be as comfortable but I’m sure it will be. Hope this helps!

if it is just an emergency situation that you would sleep downstairs, i wouldn't carry anything bulky all the time for that remote possibility. I would just sleep on the "bed downstairs" as it is. It's not like sleeping on rocks! For one emergency night it will do. you could put extra clothes or towels on it, just to make it a little softer if needed.

if it is just an emergency situation that you would sleep downstairs, i wouldn't carry anything bulky all the time for that remote possibility. I would just sleep on the "bed downstairs" as it is. It's not like sleeping on rocks! For one emergency night it will do. you could put extra clothes or towels on it, just to make it a little softer if needed.
Excellent, that’s what we’ve been thinking to be fair. I’ve slept in the back of a 5 Series estate once and it was fine. I’m not a light sleeper at all. I can sleep anywhere so this is probably the best option, thanks for the info. Thanks for all the comments though, there’s certainly loads of options.

We've just spent 3 weeks in France and due to an unfortunate accident when I broke my 2 bones in my hands we couldn't use the top bed for the last week. So each night my personal servant moved the mattress downstairs. It fits fine and TBH I find it more comfortable than upstairs. I don't think there is any need for an extra mattress for the slight inconvenience of pulling the mattress down. Happy to find this is one saving we can make.

We've just spent 3 weeks in France and due to an unfortunate accident when I broke my 2 bones in my hands we couldn't use the top bed for the last week. So each night my personal servant moved the mattress downstairs. It fits fine and TBH I find it more comfortable than upstairs. I don't think there is any need for an extra mattress for the slight inconvenience of pulling the mattress down. Happy to find this is one saving we can make.
Hope you get better soon! Ouch!

We use a duvalay mattress bought to fit downstairs but found it As good upstairs as you do not notice it being slightly to slim but you do notice the space for sleeping. Downstairs we had to top and tail, upstairs no problem, same mattress.

Woolroom 50 mm topper for both top or bottom is great for comfort warm in winter cool in summer large single fits perfectly
Packs neatly in bag under behind Ocean back seat

Back