Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

USB in glovebox

Ian Burton

Ian Burton

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi, my usb in the glovebox doesn't seem to be working (to charge iPhone), any ideas, its a t6 ocean ?

Hi Ian assuming your using an guenuine apple cable to connect to your phone - car and van systems are very cable specific and usually only work with apple leads.
If answer is yes then second place would be to check fuse - @Loz has posted diagrams I believe if you search threads so should be able to track down what fuse is covered by glove box.

Engine running or not? If I remember well it only works when engine running (Too cold to check right now!!)

The glove box USB is connected to the media unit so its powered from the unit unless you have the telephone preparation or dual USB which uses a separate module in which case its fuse SC18.
upload_2019-1-31_9-19-29.png

Last edited:
Thanks everyone,
Loz, I went and had a look today. My Cali has an aftermarket pioneer head unit. I looked at fuse C18 and it wasn't there, and on closer inspection there were no wires in C18 to take a fuse!. So from what you've said, is this because the head unit has been changed? any ideas !
Also I can't find the fuse layout in my handbook, where's the best place to look ?

With an aftermarket head unit there us a good chance it’s disconnected.
Fuse cards are in the downloads area.

Thats brilliant, thanks Loz. One more quick question, do you know if the other dash USB in the small compartment below the radio - would that be connected to the manufacturers radio for apple CarPlay. ?
thanks again :thumb

Yes, if you have twin USBs they come together in a junction box and that is plugged into the media unit.
There is a Discovery media unit for sale on the T6forum at the moment for 500 plus it will need to be coded to your Cali by a dealer.

Somewhat related - I was disappointed to find the none of the USB plugs will charge an iPad. Phones are OK, but when driving, running a cable from the inverter socket to an iPad for GPS is a bit of a pain... Maybe some new (larger) phones also draw too much power for the USBs? We use car play and a phone for Navigation, but co-pilot is often looking at more detail on the iPad.

Somewhat related - I was disappointed to find the none of the USB plugs will charge an iPad. Phones are OK, but when driving, running a cable from the inverter socket to an iPad for GPS is a bit of a pain... Maybe some new (larger) phones also draw too much power for the USBs? We use car play and a phone for Navigation, but co-pilot is often looking at more detail on the iPad.
Are you mad! :)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077Q8RHDR/?tag=eliteelect-21

The standard USB socket WILL charge an iPad, just more slowly and without the Charge icon showing. It will charge sufficiently to keep up with using it and will certainly charge from 20% to 100% overnight. At least mine does.

Why not fit a multi USB extension to the kitchen 12v socket via a plug. They now come with iPhone and standard USB sockets.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XY27X2G/?tag=eliteelect-21

Screenshot 2019-02-03 at 11.20.09.jpg

The standard USB socket WILL charge an iPad, just more slowly and without the Charge icon showing. It will charge sufficiently to keep up with using it and will certainly charge from 20% to 100% overnight. At least mine does.

Why not fit a multi USB extension to the kitchen 12v socket via a plug. They now come with iPhone and standard USB sockets.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XY27X2G/?tag=eliteelect-21

View attachment 41140

Thanks, good tips. The iPad pro 12 in. battery percentage just goes down when plugged into the USBs....

I ordered the small 30W adapter for now. BTW, can someone please clarify which plugs run off which batteries? Assuming the inverter is on leisure but the two 12 sockets?

Thanks, good tips. The iPad pro 12 in. battery percentage just goes down when plugged into the USBs....

I ordered the small 30W adapter for now. BTW, can someone please clarify which plugs run off which batteries? Assuming the inverter is on leisure but the two 12 sockets?
Kitchen unit, Cup holder by sliding door and Boot 12v sockets run off the Leisure Battery along with the Inverter. Dashboard/Cigarette Lighter socket runs off the Engine Battery.

Back