Use of Jackery 500 Explorer

• Thread starter Scott and Linda
  • Start date
Scott and Linda

Scott and Linda

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Hello all,
We are considering buying a Jackery Explorer 500 Portable Power Station with solar panels for extra power off grid use use with our Ocean 6.1.Does anyone know whether charging this via one of our 12 volts sockets on the move (over 7 hours or so as slow charging rate), would affect the x2 leisure batteries and engine battery, charging levels. Is the alternator in the Cali up to it? We have the 4Motion 199bhp with x2 solar panels on the roof (200 ws).We would welcome your views thank you.

Hello all,
We are considering buying a Jackery Explorer 500 Portable Power Station with solar panels for extra power off grid use use with our Ocean 6.1.Does anyone know whether charging this via one of our 12 volts sockets on the move (over 7 hours or so as slow charging rate), would affect the x2 leisure batteries and engine battery, charging levels. Is the alternator in the Cali up to it? We have the 4Motion 199bhp with x2 solar panels on the roof (200 ws).We would welcome your views thank you.
2 points to note.
The Leisure Battery charging system from the alternator is fused at 80amps
Secondly, the 12v sockets are fused at 15amps.
You need to check the specs on the power unit for 12v charging. As long as it is less current consumption than 15amps there should be no problem.
There will be no effects on charging of the engine or on board leisure batteries. The alternator is more than capable.

Hello WelshGas,

Thank you for your tech input very helpful. We are now going for an Eco Flow River Pro which can regulate recharge rate. It will charge at no more than 10 amps from a12v socket but it is clever and you can reduce that via its app as well! It has a much quicker charge rate than the Jackery although a little more expensive.

Hello WelshGas,

Thank you for your tech input very helpful. We are now going for an Eco Flow River Pro which can regulate recharge rate. It will charge at no more than 10 amps from a12v socket but it is clever and you can reduce that via its app as well! It has a much quicker charge rate than the Jackery although a little more expensive.
Good choice. Thats the model I got a couple of months ago. I plan to order a pair of XTAR SP100 panels with Sunpower cells to charge it and the leisure batteries when wild camping. Supposedly the Sunpowers are the best on the market due to their high efficiency.

@Corradobrit - Could the SP100 be used to directly charge the leisure batteries?
I was considering a fixed solar panel for my incoming Ocean. But it will live in an underground carpark, so there's little benefit to having something permanently fixed to the roof.

If I could just plug in a panel when parked up for a few days, then sling it in the back when moving on, it'd be a much more elegant solution

@Corradobrit - Could the SP100 be used to directly charge the leisure batteries?
I was considering a fixed solar panel for my incoming Ocean. But it will live in an underground carpark, so there's little benefit to having something permanently fixed to the roof.

If I could just plug in a panel when parked up for a few days, then sling it in the back when moving on, it'd be a much more elegant solution
I'm no expert but I don't think its possible, and if it is, then will be less than ideal. 240V output from the Ecoflow's onboard MPPT controller will be the quickest, most efficient way to charge the onboard leisure batteries.
What I like about the standalone panel setup is I can park the Cali under shade with the panels sitting in the full sun at the optimal angle for power generation. Apart from convenience there are too many real life compromises with roof mounted panels IMO.

I'm no expert but I don't think its possible, and if it is, then will be less than ideal. 240V output from the Ecoflow's onboard MPPT controller will be the quickest, most efficient way to charge the onboard leisure batteries.
What I like about the standalone panel setup is I can park the Cali under shade with the panels sitting in the full sun at the optimal angle for power generation. Apart from convenience there are too many real life compromises with roof mounted panels IMO.
Ok. But with a controller it might be doable? I was thinking exactly along your line of thought, parking in the shade.

I think we’ll have to try the van for a while before deciding what to do. The biggest challenge being winter when the heater’s running, plus lights

Ok. But with a controller it might be doable? I was thinking exactly along your line of thought, parking in the shade.

I think we’ll have to try the van for a while before deciding what to do. The biggest challenge being winter when the heater’s running, plus lights
Yes with an on board MPPT controller its certainly doable. No different to having the panels on the roof.

Folks, simple question on charging leisure batteries from a standalone full charged Ecoflow River Pro - What are my options - 1. Plug from AC OP to EHU, 2. Connect from Car/13.6V DC (cigarette) OP direct to battery terminals (I tried this, didn't work, goy Overload error), 3. Connect from Car/13.6V DC (cigarette) OP to 12V socket in the back of Cali (2015)?
Ive tried 1 - Its working, 2. didn't work and haven't tried 3.
Appreciate the help.

I'm planning to go Option 1. 110W Xtar solar panel -> Ecoflow River Pro AC output -> EHU

I'm planning to go Option 1. 110W Xtar solar panel -> Ecoflow River Pro AC output -> EHU
Thanks, just wondering about inefficiencies...interested to know if Options 2 and 3 could work?
In particular, (Option 2) should I remove the kettle lead above the back leisure battery before connecting directly or is the Overload error because the Car O/P gives 13.6V??? (I'm no electrician!)

Hello all,
Hi,

I have a Jackery 500, I will be fitting a solar kit to my van and intend to wire up a connection on the load port of the MPPT charger specifically for charging the Jackery. On the Victron chargers you can set priority to the load or leisure battery charge depending on the leisure battery voltage therefore the solar charger can keep the leisure batteries topped off before then allowing the Jackery to charge when the leisure batteries are full.

But to answer your first question I would say you will be fine charging on the go.

Back