Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Used T5.1 vs T6 (vs T6.1?)

T

teapeaage

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
Hi,

I am looking to change my current daily driver (I really don't drive a lot in the city, more of a bike commuter) to a California after taking a couple rides in a friends T4 and a rental T6 recently.
Apart from weekend + week-to-couple-weeks-long trips in the summer around Europe with my SO, I also plan 1-2 night winter trips for backcountry skiing both during a deeper winter as well as spring skiing -- around weekends where I'd venture out from the bus, too.

I obviously had a look at the prices, and here in Poland a 6.1 spec that suits my needs would be circa 62-65k EUR. I'm looking at a 150 Ocean/Coast with AT, FWD, auxiliary air heating, things like awning and some steering systems, LEDs etc.

That's obviously a ton of money so was looking at cars for sale in Germany where it seems it's about 55k EUR for a < 80kkm T6 or about 45k EUR for a <120kkm T5.1. I know these mileages can mean nothing until I see the car, but just used them as gauges so I can put in at least an additional 100kkm on either.

LIke I mentioned, I want to get the car as my daily driver, I'm planning to do a ton of trips next year, with the number slowly going down as my family grows. But all in all, I gotta say, I'm looking to get it and keep it for quite a long time and probably not looking to sell really quick.

I have three main questions and I hope you'll be able to help:

A) Do the prices I'm quoting look ok to you? Or should be looking at much lower / higher ranges for these cars?
B) In my position (and use case and time horizon), would you be looking at a T5.1 or T6 with these price differences? I have to say waiting for a T6.1 I would live with but the wait and the prices might be a tad on the tough end for me..
C) For both of these models and especially for my (winter) use case: are there any particular things I should either spec in the T6.1 that I haven't mentioned here or look for in a used T5.1 or T6?

Thanks a ton for any tips!

Hey
We have ordered a new T6.1: a coast because I think the starting price for an ocean is too high and they can also use options, so that makes the total price even higher. We did not want an electro-hydraulic roof because we have been very satisfied with the ease of use of the manual roof on our T4 westfalia for 8 years now. I also prefer not to experience traveling with a broken automatic roof ...
I know many argue that if you can buy a coast with options you better buy an ocean but the price difference with all the discounts on both vehicles is still over 8,000 euros here in Belgium and that is a fairly large amount for us (and we don't want that electro-hydraulic roof, so).
But each his choice of course.
Due to the emission standards that became increasingly strict in a short time and I will use the california as a daily vehicle, a euro standard 5 wasn't what I wanted so no T5.1 (their prices are also still very high: 45,000 euros with any mileage). A coast new with options but also with a big discount, turned out cheaper than a second-hand T6 / T6.1.
Our choice was quickly made and the long waiting time (ordered 31 August, delivery in May 2021) ensures that we can still save a little extra when payday comes ;)
Good luck with your choice

Last edited:
Paid £34k last Nov for 2014 T5.1 40,000 miles 180SE with decent options. Now worth a bit more I expect. Could have bought a T6 but felt we’re gettting 90% of the same experience for 50% of the cost and super low depreciation. Likely to be higher maintenance however...

Paid £34k last Nov for 2014 T5.1 40,000 miles 180SE with decent options. Now worth a bit more I expect. Could have bought a T6 but felt we’re gettting 90% of the same experience for 50% of the cost and super low depreciation. Likely to be higher maintenance however...

congratulations on your purchase and have fun; I think you will have 100% of the fun :) but at half the price?... maybe; our coast with 150 hp, DSG and quite a few extras (no 4motion) ordered two weeks ago does not cost twice what you paid at all. I don't know how much a coast like ours in the UK would cost though (we live in Brugge, Belgium).
Fortunately, we all have low depreciation.

greetings

Last edited: