Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

User Manual

R

Rory Mack

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Just in the process of trying to figure out how everything works on my "new" 1994 California. Does anyone know where I might find a copy of the Westfalia user manual? Thanks

Thanks Rod. I will have a read. The controls look different but hopefully there will be enough similarities.

I have 2 control panels. One in the centre on the roof of the cockpit the other above the sink / hob. 20180329_145022e.jpg 20180329_144953e.jpg

I'm no expert on these vehicles but the upper picture is for the blown air heater, left being temperature control and the right one being the timer.
The lower picture I think controls the fridge temperature, displays battery voltage and water tank levels apart from that I cannot help, sorry.

Rod

Yes that's right. I just need to figure out what each button does. The heater isn't showing any sign of life. I think the red button is the constant timer override but when I press it the green light comes on but not the heater. Should the red light beside it come on or is it just to indicate a fault ?

As for the fridge don't what button / icon does what. It's too cold out to judge whether it's on or not!

Yes that's right. I just need to figure out what each button does. The heater isn't showing any sign of life. I think the red button is the constant timer override but when I press it the green light comes on but not the heater. Should the red light beside it come on or is it just to indicate a fault ?

As for the fridge don't what button / icon does what. It's too cold out to judge whether it's on or not!

Re the heaters.

The left panel with rocker switch is the straight manual option. Rock right to fire up the heater, rock left to circulate fresh air (both heated and fresh air feeds will be from the left vent on the floor). The LED will be bright green when heater on, dim green when heater off but on cool-down i.e. thermostat has dictated cut-out. If its green but not heating I'd suggest rolling the thermostat to see if the LED bights up / dims down. Obviously it should fire up when it's bright green. Red LED only ever for faults.

The right panel is the 7 day timer....from memory (L-R)

• left clock button shows the day / time and which program (1,2,3) is set
  • next button selects the program 1, 2 or 3 and you set via < and >. Default will be 120 minutes and can only be reduced once the heater has fired up i.e. you can't set it to come on Friday at 19:00 for 35 minutes.
  • next button is a default 120 minute heater 'ON', can be reduced in 1 minute increments by the < button
  • The < and > buttons are used to step through when setting the timers, days etc.
I found the 7 day timer very unintuitive initially but it's really simple once you've worked it out. I just tend to use the manual rocker.

Then my Eber started playing up so I replaced it all with a Propex 2211.....hence the fuzzy memory of the timer.

Re the heaters.

The left panel with rocker switch is the straight manual option. Rock right to fire up the heater, rock left to circulate fresh air (both heated and fresh air feeds will be from the left vent on the floor). The LED will be bright green when heater on, dim green when heater off but on cool-down i.e. thermostat has dictated cut-out. If its green but not heating I'd suggest rolling the thermostat to see if the LED bights up / dims down. Obviously it should fire up when it's bright green. Red LED only ever for faults.

The right panel is the 7 day timer....from memory (L-R)

• left clock button shows the day / time and which program (1,2,3) is set
  • next button selects the program 1, 2 or 3 and you set via < and >. Default will be 120 minutes and can only be reduced once the heater has fired up i.e. you can't set it to come on Friday at 19:00 for 35 minutes.
  • next button is a default 120 minute heater 'ON', can be reduced in 1 minute increments by the < button
  • The < and > buttons are used to step through when setting the timers, days etc.
I found the 7 day timer very unintuitive initially but it's really simple once you've worked it out. I just tend to use the manual rocker.

Then my Eber started playing up so I replaced it all with a Propex 2211.....hence the fuzzy memory of the timer.

Many thanks for your help. I discovered that the glow plug top and connector were completely corroded. I'm waiting to see if that's its only problem or what else might be needed. Nobody is terribly enthusiastic about taking it on because of it's age. Bloody expensive!

Many thanks for your help. I discovered that the glow plug top and connector were completely corroded. I'm waiting to see if that's its only problem or what else might be needed. Nobody is terribly enthusiastic about taking it on because of it's age. Bloody expensive!

Petrol or diesel? I have a petrol B2 if you wanted to try the glow/spark plug.

Petrol or diesel? I have a petrol B2 if you wanted to try the glow/spark plug.
Thanks .It's a diesel. I've managed to get a plug so just waiting for my local garage to put the heater back on the t4 and test it. Mine is a D2L.....apparently no longer supported by Erberspacher ! How is that legal ?

Back