Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

User profiles - assign vehicle key automatically- how does this work?

R_Sargeant_CH

R_Sargeant_CH

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi all,

Maybe I’m just a stupid computer systems engineer, but the California system of “User profiles “ has me stumped.

2022 Ocean with Discovery Pro etc…

When I enter the Cali, it gets me with “Welcome Richard.” Sometimes it greets me with “Hello Gabriela “, and destroys my faith in VW programming. Maybe I can sue VW on grounds of gender correctness?

I’ve read the manuals (in both English and German) and found nothing, except for an indirect reference to storing profiles for the memory seats, which we don’t have.

Browsing through the horribly designed setup menus, I find at Menu, Users, Settings, “Assign vehicle key automatically “. That sounds hopeful, but whether or not I check that box, the Cali still gets it wrong.

My expectation was that I have one key, my wife the second and that we are greeted with our respective names. Bonus points if the appropriate profile is selected.

Am I expecting too much here? How is this supposed to work?

Frustrated from Switzerland…

I was searching for the same issue and thought I'd found an answer....only to find nobody answered your question...;-(

Hopefully someone knows how profiles & keys work.

If its any consolation, I have a Tesla and its nearly as bad. It does assign user profiles to keys (key = your phone) but it randomly selects either my wife's or my phone when entering the car, so its not much help..;-)

I was searching for the same issue and thought I'd found an answer....only to find nobody answered your question...;-(

If its any consolation, I have a Tesla and its nearly as bad. It does assign user profiles to keys (key = your phone) but it randomly selects either my wife's or my phone when entering the car, so its not much help..;-)
Tesla / Just click on the user profile on the in-car display and save settings - should remember paired settings after that.

Tesla / Just click on the user profile on the in-car display and save settings - should remember paired settings after that.
It remembers the settings fine, but gets confused about which phone has opened the car and therefore sometimes uses the wrong profile. Its easy enough to select the correct profile, but I was just highlighting that like the VW it doesn't always select the correct profile.

On the VW side, I've managed to assign a user/profile to each key so it can determine who is driving the car. Next challenge is to see if I can get it to remember things like radio stations etc based on whose key is detected...;-)

Strangely enough, we also have a Tesla (Model S 2018). That has a key fob and the phone coupling is not available on older Teslas. The selected profile depends on whose key fob reaches the car first, which leads to crazy dances whilst approaching and discussing who is driving. Usually gets it right though.

Strangely enough, we also have a Tesla (Model S 2018). That has a key fob and the phone coupling is not available on older Teslas. The selected profile depends on whose key fob reaches the car first, which leads to crazy dances whilst approaching and discussing who is driving. Usually gets it right though.
Ours is a Model 3, but its the same issue with whose phone it detects first...!

On the VW, I set a user in the car then inserted a key and started the car. Then shut the car down and exited the car and locked it. I moved this key far away from the car and unlocked the car with the second key, selected another profile/user , started the car, stopped the car and excited and locked the car.

After that, it assigned the correct user with each key, at least it has done so far. The trick seemed to be to move the first key away from the car while you set up the second key.

Back