Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Using a bike rack on a towbar with anti-snake device?

VW Badger

VW Badger

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I have a T6 Ocean with a factory VW removable towbar. Apparently it has an anti-snake device. When I fit a Thule bike rack to it the rack seems very wobbly compared to when it's fitted to other vehicles without "anti-snake", where it feels really solid. Is this due to the anti-snake device or just the VW towbar being a bit flimsy? Can the anti-snake device be bypassed to allow the bike rack to be more secure? Thanks.

I have a T6 Ocean with a factory VW removable towbar. Apparently it has an anti-snake device. When I fit a Thule bike rack to it the rack seems very wobbly compared to when it's fitted to other vehicles without "anti-snake", where it feels really solid. Is this due to the anti-snake device or just the VW towbar being a bit flimsy? Can the anti-snake device be bypassed to allow the bike rack to be more secure? Thanks.
Not sure what you mean by the Anti-snake device. I too have the factory fitted removable towbar but use an Altera rack and when its clamped on then it is immovable in any direction.

Any photos?

The antisnake device is the vehicle electronics applying the brakes of the van, its not a mechanical connection with the tow bar.

Is the movement between the rack and the tow bar or between the tow bar & the van?
If the former you need to tighten the clamp up more, if the latter get it back to VW for checking.

From VW site.

Trailer stabilisation
The latest generation of ESC also offers trailer stabilisation. If it detects your trailer is starting to yaw, the anti-skidding technology automatically reduces engine power and applies the brakes to the right wheels dynamically, in phase with the yawing. This counteracts the snaking motion and stabilises the car and trailer. When everything is stable again the brakes and engine power return to normal control. The automatic braking process also turns on the brake lights to warn other drivers, even if the driver is not touching the brake pedal.

Only when used with factory fit or approved accessory tow bars.

Thanks. The movement is between the towbar and vehicle, I had assumed it was to allow the vehicle to sense what the trailer was doing so it could initiate the stabilisation if necessary. It’s not so much a looseness as a springiness but it does worry me that the bike handlebars could contact the back window if it bounced a lot. I have solved this so far by rotating the handlebars of the front bike but it would be good if I didn’t have to.

There shouldn't be any movement there. I would be concerned enough to get it checked.

Can you narrow it down further? the obvious suspect would be the removable bar not fitting correctly in its socket, other than that it would be the lump of steel that has the socket in it not being bolted tight to the van.

Do you know if it was a factory fitted bar?

Back