Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Using awning in windy conditions

M

MikeK

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Can anyone advise me having not used the awning in fairly strong windy conditions if there is a suggested limit. I have a Comfortz room and Thule tie down kit but assume strong winds will still cause the awning to flap. Conditions on Thursday in Lakes indicate 40 mph winds overnight. Should I take it down or will it likely be fine and not damaged in these conditions. Comments welcome.

In my opinion it’s really only for sunshade and light rain in periods when it can be supervised, not over night or whilst away
I now have quick release strap tie downs which are very good but still wouldn’t risk overnight for the effort involved
It can wreck the awning and damage the van as some have found to there cost on this forum, try a search of threads

We have had ours out in some quite windy conditions...BUT only in conjunction with the Comfortz room and extra ties. All in conjunction with a awning centre extending rafter pro to prevent the rain puddling in the centre. Wouldn’t recommend doing it in very severe weather.

Strong winds, too risky. It's not a sealed awning, the wind can get under it. Consequential damage and be very expensive to repair.

It’s not just a matter of whether it can cope with strong winds, which it can’t, but how easy/safe it is trying to stow it when the wind has got too strong. Better to get it safely wound in before it becomes an emergency.

Totally agree with @BrendanJ and have sadly enough found out the hard way. As have a few people around here.

Really appreciate all these replies. Leaves me in no doubt to keep the awning away when it gets windy. Back home early next week so will close the chat with an update post Scafel break. Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment.

Be aware peeps. Even a rafter wont offer much protection. I have witnessed a Fiamma curved rafter bent double with the weight of rain pooling on the awning fabric just in the last twelve months. It took two of us to remove pool of water. (Be careful sharp finger nails can puncture the awning fabric when trying to de-pool! Water is heavy!!!)

For us, its always put the awning down overnight and if we leave the Cali during the day when rain, snow or wind are forecast its down then too.

Benefits?
A more peaceful/undisturbed nights sleep
Low/No risk of awning damage
Low/No risk of Cali damage
Never having to have to try and stow a damaged awning

Oh, and just to let let you know following a bad experience in France in 2017 we invested in some Peggy Pegs and always use them with a std tiedown kit no matter what the weather.

We watch a few years back a chap who just sat in his whislt other were putting them away. 15 mins later there was a crash as it took off over top of van ripped off the side cracked the roof and smashed the windows on the other side of van. He was crying a lot.......
If there wind don't use it simples.......

As long as the wind is not forecast to be above around 25mph or heavy rain we leave ours out strapped down with the awning room on. Been caught out a couple of times at night staying at the coast when the wind has whipped up a lot more than forecast and even though it sounded like the world was ending upstairs not a single peg had moved by the morning. Always put a big tilt on for rain but would be more concerned about a torrential downpour causing damage than sub gale force winds

CD7AED58-2F7C-4FC0-8048-AD02FE9A9204.jpeg

Be aware peeps. Even a rafter wont offer much protection. I have witnessed a Fiamma curved rafter bent double with the weight of rain pooling on the awning fabric just in the last twelve months. It took two of us to remove pool of water. (Be careful sharp finger nails can puncture the awning fabric when trying to de-pool! Water is heavy!!!)

For us, its always put the awning down overnight and if we leave the Cali during the day when rain, snow or wind are forecast its down then too.

Benefits?
Agree. Never leave an awning unattended and always peg it down even on a calm sunny day. It only takes a strong gust to smack it into the side of your van. If its windy I attach a lightweight tarp to the awning housing and use that instead.

Benefits?
In 6 years since buying our van we have always taken consideration to the weather conditions. If the weather forecast was going to be really bad we don’t put the awning out or the comfortz room. However we do find the rafter pro to make a big difference to water puddling in one central area as opposed to two smaller areas. We always try as hard as possible to get the awning at the greatest angle so the rain will mainly run off the material. The difference between having a rafter pro and not having one is more than halved the problem. And not only that we use it to clean the awning of local detritus that always seems to end up all over the material even though we are nowhere near any trees or bushes.

Can anyone advise me having not used the awning in fairly strong windy conditions if there is a suggested limit. I have a Comfortz room and Thule tie down kit but assume strong winds will still cause the awning to flap. Conditions on Thursday in Lakes indicate 40 mph winds overnight. Should I take it down or will it likely be fine and not damaged in these conditions. Comments welcome.
Two essential things. Firstly always peg the legs down securely, so wind cannot shake them loose. Secondly, overnight, adjust the legs so there is a good fall in both directions and the rainwater does not pond.

Back