Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Using Discover Care to update Discover Media

Daniel Steely

Daniel Steely

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi
Couldn’t see any discussion that related to my issues so I thought I would start this thread. Essentially trying to put latest update on my sd card. I am using the VW card with write protect off.
Managed to download Discover Care to my IMac. Everything seems fine. Recognises my VW SD card and starts creating back up. Does this fine until it gets to 100%. It then tells me there is an error and I need to check my network settings?
The van is under three years old so I think I should have access to updates.
I have just bought the van from a dealer and he suggested that the maps were up to date but I do not know what the up to date map is so thought it was a good idea to definitely get the latest update.
Has anyone had a similar experience and managed to solve it?

Hi
Couldn’t see any discussion that related to my issues so I thought I would start this thread. Essentially trying to put latest update on my sd card. I am using the VW card with write protect off.
Managed to download Discover Care to my IMac. Everything seems fine. Recognises my VW SD card and starts creating back up. Does this fine until it gets to 100%. It then tells me there is an error and I need to check my network settings?
I have just bought the van from a dealer and he suggested that the maps were up to date but I do not know what the up to date map is so thought it was a good idea to definitely get the latest update.
Hi, I have 2019 Ocean and have had exactly the same problem, so any solution to your query would be welcome. Interestingly, or not ! I did update the maps in the way you describe after collecting the van when new with no problem, but failed with the same technique when trying to update most recent maps.

Hi, I have 2019 Ocean and have had exactly the same problem, so any solution to your query would be welcome. Interestingly, or not ! I did update the maps in the way you describe after collecting the van when new with no problem, but failed with the same technique when trying to update most recent maps.
Hi. Thanks for your message. It is good to know that it is not just me being stupid. Unfortunately, I don't live near the dealer, so I may try contacting them and maybe suggesting that I post back the card to them and let them update it for me. That is hoping that someone in the dealership has the technical know how that I don't. I also wondered if it would probably be an idea to try and do the update on a windows operating system, but I don't have easy access to one.

Hi
This might help.

Hi
Check the capacity of your VW SD card as the latest map upgrades need more than 16GB. You can download the upgrade then delete all the foreign languages on your computer, keeping your own, then it will copy to a VW 16GB SD card. You can't use standard SD cards.

Hola
No pude ver ninguna discusión relacionada con mis problemas, así que pensé en comenzar este hilo. Esencialmente tratando de poner la última actualización en mi tarjeta SD. Estoy usando la tarjeta VW con protección contra escritura desactivada.
Logré descargar Discover Care a mi IMac. Todo parece estar bien. Reconoce mi tarjeta VW SD y comienza a crear una copia de seguridad. Hace esto bien hasta que llega al 100%. Luego me dice que hay un error y necesito verificar mi configuración de red.
La camioneta tiene menos de tres años, así que creo que debería tener acceso a las actualizaciones.
Acabo de comprar la camioneta a un distribuidor y él sugirió que los mapas estaban actualizados, pero no sé cuál es el mapa actualizado, así que pensé que era una buena idea obtener definitivamente la última actualización.
¿Alguien ha tenido una experiencia similar y ha conseguido solucionarlo?
Las nuevas cartografias ocupan mas de 16 gigas, si quieres toda Europa tendras que comprar nueva cartografia que es de 32 gigas.

Check the capacity of your VW SD card as the latest map upgrades need more than 16GB. You can download the upgrade then delete all the foreign languages on your computer, keeping your own, then it will copy to a VW 16GB SD card. You can't use standard SD cards.
Thanks. That all makes sense. I think the download I chose was well under 16GB. Seemed to be lots of options as to which part of Europe you download. I was just a bit concerned about wiping out the data that is already on the card without doing it via the VW application, which unfortunately does not work. If it goes wrong trying to bypass the official App, I may lose my sat nav. (Even though it is not really as good as waze and google maps!)
I am hoping to hear back from the dealer tomorrow so I will update if he comes up with a solution.

This might help.

Thanks for the link. I had looked at that but it starting talking about root directories etc. which is a bit technical for my simple brain.

Thanks. That all makes sense. I think the download I chose was well under 16GB. Seemed to be lots of options as to which part of Europe you download. I was just a bit concerned about wiping out the data that is already on the card without doing it via the VW application, which unfortunately does not work. If it goes wrong trying to bypass the official App, I may lose my sat nav. (Even though it is not really as good as waze and google maps!)
I am hoping to hear back from the dealer tomorrow so I will update if he comes up with a solution.
I used the official Whole Europe 1 map update so had to reduce it to fit my 16gb card but the smaller Europe areas should download and fit fine on a 16gb

I used the official Whole Europe 1 map update so had to reduce it to fit my 16gb card but the smaller Europe areas should download and fit fine on a 16gb
Heard back from the dealer today and they are going to swap the card for an up to date card when the van goes in for some snagging in January. Don't feel so bad now as they also don't seem to be able to manage to download the updates!

You need to save a copy of the contents of your SD card, then delete the contents on the SD card.
Then it will let you upload the new maps to the SD card :cool:

I’ve also had the same issue this week and use a MacBook Pro.
I previously successfully used the excellent T6 Forum how-to, deleting SD card contents and adding updates manually.
This time I tried VW’s DiscoverCare for Mac.
This warned the update would fail.
I tried using one of the smaller updates and this also failed.
I then read the other T6 informative posts regarding the size of the current Euro 1 file size.
I then tried the manual method, deleting existing contents before adding the new unzipped files, from the full Europe 1 update, but deleting the extra country languages, meaning the update should fit on my 16gb SD card.
This also failed.
When I checked the card using the Mac Get Info the card was almost full, despite me consigning the contents to Trash. I didn’t want to reformat it in case it lost the VW Mib2 function required for the maps.

In frustration I decided to leave more playing for another day…..

Checking the good old auction site, I found this;

D6E523C8-C516-4750-BA1F-12DA97B335C7.png

I previously successfully used the excellent T6 Forum how-to, deleting SD card contents and adding updates manually.
I then read the other T6 informative posts regarding the size of the current Euro 1 file size.
I then tried the manual method, deleting existing contents before adding the new unzipped files, from the full Europe 1 update, but deleting the extra country languages, meaning the update should fit on my 16gb SD card.
This also failed.
When I checked the card using the Mac Get Info the card was almost full, despite me consigning the contents to Trash. I didn’t want to reformat it in case it lost the VW Mib2 function required for the maps.

View attachment 87417
The SD card will show as full, until you clear out the Trash can, on a MAC.

This also failed.

View attachment 87417
Should be fine I've purchased a couple of VW MIB2 SD cards from there a few years ago and all still working fine with the latest map updates. On your old card you should just delete the complete Map folder and there will be plenty of space to upload the latest Euro 1 map after deleting the extra languages on your computer.

This also failed.

View attachment 87417
Thanks for A great deal of really useful info. I think you have confirmed what I was concerned about. I thought there was a chance that I could delete the contents on the card and finish up with a useless blank SD card.
The eBay option looks very straightforward and not a massive cost, although you have to buy one each year to keep up to date and it does seem wrong if you are forced to pay for something that supposedly should be free.
I will hang on to see what the dealership comes up with when it goes in for the snagging list to be sorted.

Here’s what I posted on another thread:

I expect it failed because the 16gb+ map data of the latest release (whole of Europe) is too big for the sdcard. The DiscoverCare downloader is tempremental anyway.

I did a manual download of the data, unzipped it, moved the map folder from the existing sdcard to a backup location, then copied all of the map folder from the unzipped download except these sub folders:
\maps\00\cfg\mapcfg\SKODA
\maps\00\cfg\mapcfg\SEAT

I also omitted all language support folders in maps\00\sds folder except the GB folder but obviously keep the language folder that suits you.

It worked fine then.

Here’s what I posted on another thread:

I expect it failed because the 16gb+ map data of the latest release (whole of Europe) is too big for the sdcard. The DiscoverCare downloader is tempremental anyway.

I did a manual download of the data, unzipped it, moved the map folder from the existing sdcard to a backup location, then copied all of the map folder from the unzipped download except these sub folders:
\maps\00\cfg\mapcfg\SKODA
\maps\00\cfg\mapcfg\SEAT

I also omitted all language support folders in maps\00\sds folder except the GB folder but obviously keep the language folder that suits you.

It worked fine then.
I can confirm that deleting the unwanted language files makes the overall size small enough to fit on a 16GB card. I used "7Zip" (the software available on the VW map update site) to both delete the unwanted files and to copy the remainder over to the SD card.

Off on our travels very soon to Spain and France and I’ve been trying to update with Discover Care for over a week using a MacBook but got the dreaded ‘network settings’ error message!

Having read about similar experiences on here and on other boards, I used my old legacy PC running Windows 10 and finally managed to download a 7Gb sub bundle onto the supplied 16Gb SD card with little incident.

Many thanks for all the advice and tips !

Anyone know how you update maps on a 2021 T6.1, do you do it the same way but with a USBC drive?

I’m interested to understand this for a T6.1 @Richard Hurst

I can see that DiscoverCare can be downloaded to a device i.e. iMac or iPhone and can see that map files can also be downloaded. BUT how would these map updates then be uploaded to the Cali from the device?

Probably wrong but I thought that updates were either ‘over the air’ for minor updates or a workshop visit for major updates?

I’m interested to understand this for a T6.1 @Richard Hurst

I can see that DiscoverCare can be downloaded to a device i.e. iMac or iPhone and can see that map files can also be downloaded. BUT how would these map updates then be uploaded to the Cali from the device?

Probably wrong but I thought that updates were either ‘over the air’ for minor updates or a workshop visit for major updates?
I believe that once you have downloaded the files onto your pc/mac you then transfer them to a USBC stick and plug that into the car to upload the updates.

I would like to try because with the navigation the little cursor is not centred it is always to the right handsome of the screen when it should be dead centre, if you try manually moving the map then the cursor just disappears off screen which is pointless as you can't see where you are. even re-centering it does not work as that just disappears offscreen also.

I believe that once you have downloaded the files onto your pc/mac you then transfer them to a USBC stick and plug that into the car to upload the updates.

I would like to try because with the navigation the little cursor is not centred it is always to the right handsome of the screen when it should be dead centre, if you try manually moving the map then the cursor just disappears off screen which is pointless as you can't see where you are. even re-centering it does not work as that just disappears offscreen also.
I don't think this is a nav software issue but a firmware update is required to be done by your dealer. Looks like a common problem with the VW Discovery systems ...

Post in thread 'T6.1 discover media sat nav map not moving' https://www.t6forum.com/threads/t6-1-discover-media-sat-nav-map-not-moving.32858/post-467012

Back