Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Using Underslung T5 Spare Wheel - Corrosion Warning

G

gatvol

Just a warning for folk that have the underslung steel wheel.

Mine had never been touched in 10 years. I have the locking wheel nut and as a consequence of corrosion required tools to remove the spare.

grips - to remove stainless cap covering locking wheel nut stud as these were bonded together with rust

small wire brush and penetrating oil spray - to remove corrosion inside locking wheel stud

This was the state of the corrosion down there ...20210103_091258.jpg 20210103_091234.jpg20210103_091905.jpg

The spare had held reasonable pressure but needed topping up.

Given the state of the corrosion and the depth of the pitting, I paid £60 to get the spare wheel shot blasted and powder coated.
20210118_112831.jpg

I have ordered this to help preserve it

If you have an older van like mine, it is worth doing a "dry run" by removing that spare, inspecting the extent of corrosion and considering whether using the locking wheel nut is worth the risk.

The Spare should really be removed and checked annually, after all it is carried in a position that is not very well protected.

I don't put the cap on the lock bolt as it's both difficult to access/remove plus as can be seen a water trap.

My Spare wheel gets the same Spring & Autumn removal & full polish inside and out as the 4 road wheels. Spare wheel is in a 4x4 rear wheel cover also.

Last edited:
I was worried it would collect water and not dry out easily. Had a cover on my Defender spare, on the rear and that did. It was always wet inside.
No sign of water, main reason for fitting was that my Air Suspension Compressor is mounted inside the spare wheel area and I wanted to keep dust and water spray out.
Cascavel wheel with spokes.

If I'd found water in it I'd have fitted a couple of those plastic tie down rings that you can get for tarpaulins/groundsheets as drain holes.

Only problem is access to the valve for a pressure check. I carry a small air compressor so not too big an issue.
Did purchase a cheap TPMS System with the intention of using one sensor but they rely on wheel rotation to 'wake' them up.
Removable Velcro flap is next option - probably just stick with 6 monthly check when cleaning.

Thanks for letting us know..As soon as the weather changes I’m going to have a look at my spare..Give it a good clean..Hopefully it will be ok.

Thanks for letting us know..As soon as the weather changes I’m going to have a look at my spare..Give it a good clean..Hopefully it will be ok.

Me too.
Hopefully in August we might see some sunshine again.

I had exactly the same problem. Where did you get your wheel blasted & powdercoated?

Thanks. Looks like they did a good job & they're within striking distance.

I am yes. Just 6 miles away from this shop. Thanks for the tip. I will try them when I'm next that way.

Bit of a detour from the A1.
You try to help people out, maybe even brighten a future day for them, and someone chooses to be sarcastic about it.

I rarely visit this forum nowadays, it used to be a nicer place. Still, I would be surprised if an 11 mile diversion is considered a big deal to California owners.

You try to help people out, maybe even brighten a future day for them, and someone chooses to be sarcastic about it.

I rarely visit this forum nowadays, it used to be a nicer place. Still, I would be surprised if an 11 mile diversion is considered a big deal to California owners.
Sarcastic? Merely a fact as it would take approx an hour to detour and shop.
11 mile each way 22 total. A slow run in the summer with Rutland Water traffic but worth it if time permits.

simpler to detour into Stamford and shop in Nelsons Butchers in Red Lion Square and possibly partake in a Pot of Coffee or Tea in The George Hotel - free parking if using their facilities.

Sarcastic? Merely a fact as it would take approx an hour to detour and shop.
11 mile each way 22 total. A slow run in the summer with Rutland Water traffic but worth it if time permits.

simpler to detour into Stamford and shop in Nelsons Butchers in Red Lion Square and possibly partake in a Pot of Coffee or Tea in The George Hotel - free parking if using their facilities.
Yes, sarcastic. And now you are exaggerating the journey length. It is not a 22 mile detour in total.

For those travelling North or South on the A1, theaa.com states an 11 mile detour in total.

Yes, sarcastic. And now you are exaggerating the journey length. It is not a 22 mile detour in total.

For those travelling North or South on the A1, theaa.com states an 11 mile detour in total.

Bit of a detour from the A1.
I'm with @B J G on this. I also noted that you were detouring from the A1 and mentally considered it more than a few minutes drive without feeling the need to comment.
I fail to see where the sarcasm is in his comment.
Feel free to have a go at me too, if you like.
By the way I agree with his comments about Nelsons. If you want to sample an even better butcher, you could detour to Grasmere Farm butchers in Market Deeping.

Edit: apologies for how far off topic we are.

Last edited:
Strange I live just of the A1 near Stamford and it's 13 miles each way to Oakham when I visit my Brother In Law.
Obviously the AA deduct the mileage saved by not using a section of the A1 between the A606 and B668.

Anyhow I had no intention of upsetting anyone with my 'tongue in cheek' comment.

Back