Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Using water tank for the first time

paulevans

paulevans

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We're off for a weeks trip to Harris & Lewis at the end of May that is likely to invest a little wild camping. Since buying Dave we have not used the onboard fresh water tank. I was wondering if I should flush the tank through first before filling it up. What do you recommend - liquid Milton?

Is there anything else I should be aware of with regards the fresh/waste systems?

Thanks

That's correct. Half fill with water + Milton. I use the liquid and it has directions/dosage on the side. Drive around for a while. Run it through the tap, about half of it. Empty both tanks. Leave waste open. Refill water tank with clean water. Flush some through tap. Drain, repeat again if you wish. Then fill up to go travelling.

Whatever you do don't overdose on Milton if you want to drink plain water from the tap again in the near future!

If the van us new, I would just leave tap water in for 12hrs. It's already chlorinated but won't leave that Milton taste. Drain the tank, refill and enjoy.

Manual Supplement says first time fill it completely, add disinfectant (we used 1 milton tablet) drain a few litres into the waste tank to flush through the pipes then drain both tanks.
I then added another 5 litres to wash the taste of the milton out, drained out, then added the water I wanted to drink/use
ps. My water tank wouldn't drain unless I undid the filler cap.

We are going through this process today. We have filled the Fresh Water Tank with a spot of Milton and ran some through the tap and into the Waste Tank. Checked the water level gauges on the roof computer. All was good.
Then opened drain valve on the Waste Tank. The water seemed not to come out of a hose or any particular spot it dispersed itself from numerous places under the vehicle.
Is this normal or should it come out of a hose somewhere?

It comes out onto a under protective shield, probably so water tank can't get contaminated from the drain. Ours came out all over the rear quarter and spare wheel

It comes out of a pipe under the body undertray and runs out wherever

That's a relief thanks guys thought a pipe had come off somewhere. We did notice a small black hose pipe close to where all the water came out but nothing came out of this. I wonder what that pipe is for.

That pipe is the waste tank drain
Looks like I will have to take a closer look tomorrow. I put a bucket under the black pipe opened the valve and the garage got a soaking from the under tray and nothing seem to come out of that hose.

Which valve did you open? the red handle one on the left side of the cupboard under the cooker?
Also it drains better with the plug out of the sink

Yes that one under the left hand side of the cupboard under the cooker. Drained easily I was expecting it to come out of the black hose, hence the bucket.

I am thinking the pipe is there but not secured properly so I will take a look under the vehicle tomorrow. Will take some pics.

As stated above waste tank should drain via a hose. Water tank just comes out everywhere at the back, which is not very clever.

Sent from my SM-G900F

A stupid question I know, but where exactly are the drain taps on the SE?

The waste drain tap is inside the left hand cupboard at the bottom through the round hole.the freshwater drain tap is under the bottom
Shelf in the rear cupboard by the side of the gas bottle lid.
Tip/ remove the freshwater filler cap for better draining.

Thanks Kev, I'll go and sus it now.

I have just filled my water tank for the first time and filled it to the top. The milton liquid said 1 cap for 5 litres. I have put 3 cap fulls in roughly half way through the filling process which should be half the recommended dosage right? (30 litre tanks?)
Then I have run the tap with the grey water drain closed to flush the pipes, tap etc.
Does it make any difference to leave it like this as the milton is still in there overnight or should I continue the flushing/emptying ? i was going to drive around and empty it after work tomorrow.

I have just filled my water tank for the first time and filled it to the top. The milton liquid said 1 cap for 5 litres. I have put 3 cap fulls in roughly half way through the filling process which should be half the recommended dosage right? (30 litre tanks?)
Then I have run the tap with the grey water drain closed to flush the pipes, tap etc.
Does it make any difference to leave it like this as the milton is still in there overnight or should I continue the flushing/emptying ? i was going to drive around and empty it after work tomorrow.

Drive with it for a few days , then fill back up and do thesame after a few days empty it and flush the tap a few times . You'l be fine , we never drink from the tap only for cooking ans washing up.

Last edited:
Just make sure you don't leave any Milton in the sink - its corrosive to stainless steel.

Back