Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vango altona low - anyone have one and will it work on a California given the door is on the right?

DOMINICGG1234

DOMINICGG1234

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi

Have the opportunity to buy one if these second hand but all the images show it fitted to vans with the door on the left:

Will this work on a t5 California?

Thanks in advance

One assumes it will technically work both sides, it’s just attached via the rail, but it looks like the entrance would face backwards if so and likely stick out from the back of the van.

So. No. I’d say. Unless the tunnel can swap sides somehow.

One assumes it will technically work both sides, it’s just attached via the rail, but it looks like the entrance would face backwards if so and likely stick out from the back of the van.

So. No. I’d say. Unless the tunnel can swap sides somehow.
I did wonder if the tunnel could be reversed. The dimension image shows it attached to the right of the can though so maybe possible?

I did wonder if the tunnel could be reversed. The dimension image shows it attached to the right of the can though so maybe possible?
No idea - I've checked a few sites and it make no reference to the tunnel being movable. For the price of these nowadays, unless this is an amazing bargain, just go buy another that you know will fit.

No idea - I've checked a few sites and it make no reference to the tunnel being movable. For the price of these nowadays, unless this is an amazing bargain, just go buy another that you know will fit.
Thanks. I think you’re right. Good price though as only used once and he wants £250 for it

Thanks. I think you’re right. Good price though as only used once and he wants £250 for it
Had another look and these definately for LH sliding doors only. Vango do a few of these and the tunnel is not movable. There are plenty on here 2nd hand, they generally overpriced IMHO and you can find the same ones new online for the same or less.

Had another look and these definately for LH sliding doors only. Vango do a few of these and the tunnel is not movable. There are plenty on here 2nd hand, they generally overpriced IMHO and you can find the same ones new online for the same or less.
Great thanks for the advice

I'm having this dilemma at the moment. We have a T5.1 camper conversion and am collecting our T6.1 California soon. We use a Kampa Air Touring drive away awning, which is excellent, but is designed to be attached on the passenger side so the awning door can face the front if the bus. Do I sell my awning and buy the RHD one, or do I succumb to my OCD and have the back of the bus facing forwards when the awning is attached?

Last edited:
I guess it is why the side opening ones are so popular now, like ours - it does not matter which side your door is on.

IMG_4340.jpegI bought this awning new back in March. It doesn’t massively bother me that it is designed for a sliding door on the left. You can attach it to the right hand side without an issue. It just means that I generally park facing in and the tent then faces out. We keep our fridge in the boot so it actually works out perfectly when we are preparing meals

I'm having this dilemma at the moment. We have a T5.1 camper conversion and am collecting our T6.1 California soon. We use a Kampa Air Touring drive away awning, which is excellent, but is designed to be attached on the passenger side so the awning door can face the front if the bus. Do I sell my awning and buy the RHD one, or do I succumb to my OCD and have the back of the bus facing forwards when the awning is attached?
I really don't get it. Is there a reason why front facing would be preferable? I would want it facing the back so I don't have to walk around it to get to the tailgate.

I really don't get it. Is there a reason why front facing would be preferable? I would want it facing the back so I don't have to walk around it to get to the tailgate.
I'm catching up with this thread, having spotted one of these for sale.. Me too, lots of stuff is stored in the rear, so it seems perfect TBH.

Back