Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vango awning - am I doing something wrong?

Spitfire

Spitfire

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We've had our wonderful T6 Ocean for a few months now and added a Vango Idris for winter trips with the dog. We really like the Vango - it weighs more than the Quechua base seconds we used for a while but it's more compact to transport, much more practical (for our needs) and doesn't require potentially embarrassing gymnastics to put away - I got quite good at it, but it wasn't a dignified performance!

I'm not sure I'm fitting it correctly though. Attached to the vehicle awning by the kador strip, the tent fouls the sliding door. So, I moved it to the top edge of the awning using a figure of eight strip. That connects easily but there is a big gap to the sides of the vehicle. I notice that there are straps at the top sides of the awning tunnel, but they don't seem to do anything.

I think I might be doing something wrong here so any advice from the Vango Idris or Kela users would be very much appreciated.

Straps are to pull the awning sides in and give a more snug fit. A gap can be trimmed out to a certain extent using these straps. Regarding catching on the sliding door we get this with the Attar and the Sapera we used to have. Is yours a low model?

We've had our wonderful T6 Ocean for a few months now and added a Vango Idris for winter trips with the dog. We really like the Vango - it weighs more than the Quechua base seconds we used for a while but it's more compact to transport, much more practical (for our needs) and doesn't require potentially embarrassing gymnastics to put away - I got quite good at it, but it wasn't a dignified performance!

I'm not sure I'm fitting it correctly though. Attached to the vehicle awning by the kador strip, the tent fouls the sliding door. So, I moved it to the top edge of the awning using a figure of eight strip. That connects easily but there is a big gap to the sides of the vehicle. I notice that there are straps at the top sides of the awning tunnel, but they don't seem to do anything.

I think I might be doing something wrong here so any advice from the Vango Idris or Kela users would be very much appreciated.

We bought an Idris Low. It did foul the sliding door so I used the long straps to take it over the top of the roof. The fixings at the bottom pulled it in to make a snug fit at the bottom. We sold it after two months. Found it a pain to carry and put up. Also when the Ebacher was on and it was attached to the magic bus the fumes were of putting. We did sell it to a guy from London who had two children,no Ebacher and he is delighted with it.

Thank you for the replies - I have it figured out now! I can see that an awning could be a pain in many circumstances, but we find the extra dog washing/drying/feeding area to be a great plus. I can imagine the same would apply to two children!

I have a bit of a routine developed now (much to the frustration of other forum members who have very kindly offered to help me put up the awning and then I re-do it all).
Once the awning is in the figure of 8 and the poles pumped up, I then peg the corners closest to the van (making sure the flap part is still left to peg down along the van inside the awning, near the wheel arch - that hopefully makes sense). You need to make sure the awning is pulled more towards the back of the van - having the sliding door open can help make sure it is far enough back and not going to foul.
Then the corners furthest away and finally the ones in-between. Finally the tightening straps to pull the awning doors close against the van. Doing this the dogs are secure - but I do usually store a box in each of the corners of the awning next to the van to make sure it stays tight even in high winds. I've also started storing boxes under the van to prevent puppies wriggling underneath...
When doing the reverse, remember to undo the tightening straps (or check they are loose before erecting next time).
Hope that helps.

I have a bit of a routine developed now (much to the frustration of other forum members who have very kindly offered to help me put up the awning and then I re-do it all).
Once the awning is in the figure of 8 and the poles pumped up, I then peg the corners closest to the van (making sure the flap part is still left to peg down along the van inside the awning, near the wheel arch - that hopefully makes sense). You need to make sure the awning is pulled more towards the back of the van - having the sliding door open can help make sure it is far enough back and not going to foul.
Then the corners furthest away and finally the ones in-between. Finally the tightening straps to pull the awning doors close against the van. Doing this the dogs are secure - but I do usually store a box in each of the corners of the awning next to the van to make sure it stays tight even in high winds. I've also started storing boxes under the van to prevent puppies wriggling underneath...
When doing the reverse, remember to undo the tightening straps (or check they are loose before erecting next time).
Hope that helps.
That's really helpful, thank you. It sounds like a very effective routine - I'll be trying it out soon!

Back