Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vango Kela II drive away awning

I

Ianantking

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I've just acquired a Vango Kela II drive away awning and am wondering about the best way to attach it to my Cali Ocean. Should I remove the wind out awning and use that kador rail? I'd be grateful for any advice. I'd like to hear about people's experience with the kela awnings. Cheers.

Never had a drive away awning before, so I really cannot advise you on what is best to do. But I just bought a Kampa Pod Motion Travel Air last week, so at least I can tell what we intend to do.

Removing the wind out is quite a hassle. So we definitely go for using the Kaldor strip. If you want to drive away, I guess you need the figure eight attachment anyway … so it seems from the reading I did, that it is the way to go.

Thanks for that. I don't know if I'm being stupid but how do I attach the kador strip to the awning rail if the wind out awning is still in place?

Thanks for that. I don't know if I'm being stupid but how do I attach the kador strip to the awning rail if the wind out awning is still in place?

If you have a Thule Omnistor (the genuine provided awning), there is a recess for the Kadar strip if you wind out the awning just a few inches. There you attach the loose kadar.

Between the kadar sewed on the tent and the kadar mounted on the awning, you use a figure eight strip to attach. That solution does make it easy to drive away when removing the figure eight.

You can also attach the tents kadar directly to the awning, but then it is almost impossible to drive away with the tent still standing.

I might be wrong because I never tried it myself. But that's how I read it and imagine it. I will find out next weekend on the Champagne Meet - so beware - there might come some funny video clips her off me trying things in real life ;-)

The wind out awning has a channel in the underside for the kador strip to slide in. Just lift the front up slightly to reveal it.

If you have a Thule Omnistor (the genuine provided awning), there is a recess for the Kadar strip if you wind out the awning just a few inches. There you attach the loose kadar.

Between the kadar sewed on the tent and the kadar mounted on the awning, you use a figure eight strip to attach. That solution does make it easy to drive away when removing the figure eight.

You can also attach the tents kadar directly to the awning, but then it is almost impossible to drive away with the tent still standing.

I might be wrong because I never tried it myself. But that's how I read it and imagine it. I will find out next weekend on the Champagne Meet - so beware - there might come some funny video clips her off me trying things in real life ;-)

Great. Many thanks. I hadn't noticed the rail under the awning cover. Must get my eyes checked! Should be fine now. Cheers.

Hi all

My wife and I are pretty new to all this but planning a trip to France this summer for a week’s stay ‘top and tailed’ with a couple of stops at sites or Aires each way. The question is should we just buy some sides/sun shades for the factory fitted roll out as these will be quick to erect or should we invest in a drive away awning? The Brandrup shades look pretty expensive and I don’t suppose are weather proof? If we go for the drive away, what brand/size should we plump for as it’s only going to be me and Mrs Taff T for the foreseeable?

We use driveway awning if staying one place for several days. it means you go out for the day and not have to pack everything away. As I'm a little bit lazy I don't actually attach the awning to the van but only wind out the roll out till it overhangs the driveway (a cayman). Otherwise we either use nothing or fit sun shades, which you have to remove every time you go out for the day.
It all boils down to how you use you Cali, and also what sort of pitches you are on hard or grass

Try this

Figure of 8 attached to the drive away, open the wind out a couple of inches, click the figure of 8 over the top ( open) part of the wind out, you hear a definite “snap” when they are attached properly, wind the awning back In securely, bobs your untie !
6CC97BFC-11E3-42B8-92CD-0052E4B10201.jpeg6CC97BFC-11E3-42B8-92CD-0052E4B10201.jpeg77E25119-79C9-4D0C-BA3B-DA261CF13EBE.jpegC6404E54-A100-4BF4-881A-5A2133E6120D.jpeg

We use driveway awning if staying one place for several days. it means you go out for the day and not have to pack everything away. As I'm a little bit lazy I don't actually attach the awning to the van but only wind out the roll out till it overhangs the driveway (a cayman). Otherwise we either use nothing or fit sun shades, which you have to remove every time you go out for the day.
It all boils down to how you use you Cali, and also what sort of pitches you are on hard or grass
Thanks Collieboy......looks like I’ll have to invest in both eventually though some sun shades might be best for the kind of trip we have planned this summer.

Regards

Taff