Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vanorak

Lost Boy

Lost Boy

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
My van came with a Vanorak, not sure exactly what brand it is but its grey and comes in a VW California branded bag made of the same material. I've used it a couple of times but I'm not sure I'm securing it correctly (BTW it has one strap missing from the front drivers side!).

I slide the whole of the passenger side into the rail at the back to the front, throw right over the van ensuring the roof is partially raised and putting the corners over the roof corners, raise the roof and then secure on the drivers side at the front and rear using the straps again into the rail. Issue is I have an awning and so the other straps can't be attached as they can't slide down the rail? I also attach the two straps at the back around the bike carrier brackets. Issue is its a bit loose on the drivers side and also at the front (even allowing for one of the straps having ripped off by the previous owner) albeit there is an eyelet in the centre, perhaps this should this have a guy rope?

Any help in specifically whether I should be doing something different around the awning area, would be very useful. Pictures also appreciated.

Thanks

I know the type you've got. You're doing it pretty much exactly right. Some people put extra straps into their awning (wind it out an inch, jam the straps in and wind it back) some stuck velcro patches onto the back of the awning and velcro'd the straps to that (with limited degrees of success...)

The "mutze" style stop has a bungee (shock cord) that runs from the front to the back on the awning side which then attaches to loops on the top. Perhaps you could do something like that.. (that may not make a lot of sense but I'll try and do some photos at the weekend if I remember)

Yeah as californiaman says.
Mine is baggy on the awning side, it came with some velcro patches which stick to the awning, the idea being that the unattached straps on that side stick on them to provide a degree of security. The problem is that in anything over the lightest of breezes they come off.
Also the straps on the front drivers side have started pulling out of the awning rail this year which makes it even worse.
Looking forward to californiaman's pictures!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Also be careful it doesn't catch on the passenger corner mine did and it ripped the cover and buckled the roof. VW didn't want to know nor did the supplier of the vanarack. I changed to a Cali topper no chance of that getting stuck. Good l

My Vanorack is splitting where it is inserted into the rail. Nothing a sailmaker couldn't fix. I have now changed to a cali topper, which is easier to fit, though not as warm. I am willing to sell the Vanorack for a very modest price if anyone wants it!

As others have said, you're fitting it correctly. Using Velcro to attach the Vanorak on to the back of the awning hasn't worked for me but replacing these with bungees (similar to the Cali Topper) would definitely improve things. I haven't got round to doing this and just put up with occasional flapping in the wind. The Vanorak was I think made/distributed by 'The VW California', who managed the original Cali forum.

Back