Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Various qua from a soon-to-be Beach owner

B

BigJohno

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all,

We have ordered a new Beach from Guy at Lancashire VW. Was told it would likely arrive in May 2017 but just got informed it may be as soon as Feb!

So I have a couple of questions....

1. I had a great conversation with Jonny at Slidepods who couldn't have been more helpful. I need to make a decision between a Multi and an Ultra pod - any views?

2. Related to the above, and given I will need to access the boot when I will have bikes on the back, do people think the VW rack is suitable?

3. Any other recommended day 1 buys?

Any and all advice greatfully received!

Many thanks,

Johno

The boot with bikes on the rack can be very heavy to lift. You can use a stick to keep it open - one that's adjustable and used for painting ceilings (that's what I've used last summer). It's doable.. but we started storing little things we access frequently elsewhere because lifting the tailgate with bikes on becomes a hassle.
Depends on your style of camping. If you go to a campsite for a couple of days, you probably take the bikes off as soon as you're there. We almost never stay more than one night a site.. always on the move.

Personally I think the VW rack looks a bit of a an eyesore and I believe that you shouldn't lift the tail gate with bikes on, think of the strain on the hinges. I'm going to use a towball mounting one that has a 'tilt' facility (tips the bikes away from the tailgate) which can be detached when not required leaving an uncluttered rear.

If you have a towbar its a cheaper option.

But he wants a slidepod.. Can't do that with a tow bar bike rack I'm afraid.

IMG_1210.JPG I have the fiamma T5 bike rack, with a little modification it sits lower than the vw one, which makes it less than 2.1 m, so you can get into low or beach side car parks, which is one of the features of a Cali over a big van.
The fiamma can also be set to just two bikes, and with them lid stays up, esp in warm weather.
With three or four,I have an old foldable tent pole that I use , from the tent I no longer need...I sawed it to exactly the right height. Works a treat, as I go to the back a lot when on tour. You can just see it in this pic

Hi all,

We have ordered a new Beach from Guy at Lancashire VW. Was told it would likely arrive in May 2017 but just got informed it may be as soon as Feb!

So I have a couple of questions....

1. I had a great conversation with Jonny at Slidepods who couldn't have been more helpful. I need to make a decision between a Multi and an Ultra pod - any views?

2. Related to the above, and given I will need to access the boot when I will have bikes on the back, do people think the VW rack is suitable?

3. Any other recommended day 1 buys?

I am just going through ordering a Slidepod myself and Jonny recommended to me the multi over the ultra. The reasons he gave me is that the multi can in effect be slightly larger and thus have more storage whereas the ultra would work with the existing multiflex.

I am still a little unsure at the moment because I do like the idea of keeping it factory. Then again the multiflex can just be refitted in minutes when needed. Storage is usually my main concern when travelling and for that reason I am thinking Jonny is right if the multi is slightly bigger.

With regards to day 1 buys, I'd personally use it for a bit and see what you need. A mattress topper though may be a good idea. I also wouldn't be without my fridge but if I was buying again I may go smaller than the 40l waeco I have.

I don't have a bike rack so sorry I can't advise on that front.

I think Johnny is at Campermart in Jan, I am planning to go and may be some pods on show there for you to look at if you haven't had the opportunity (although it may be a trek).

Avoid the Volkswagen rack. I originally went that route and really regret it. It's almost impossible to open the rack with a couple of bikes on. I did manage too, and once i removed the rack I was left with a couple of compression marks on the tailgate.
I now have a Atera Strada sliding towbar rack. It's brilliant and can be removed in 10 seconds when not in use.

Absolutely get a mattress topper...!
Small fridge. I'm currently looking for one which will fit in between the front seats.
External silver screens cover
Kettle
Jetboil or equivalent

Get some levelling blocks, I use these quite a bit and store them with the deck chairs

Thanks @soulstyledevon - much appreciated. And great pics!

@zeratul - did you say slidepods don't work with a tow bar bike rack?

Need to put my order in for a mattress topper!
You need to pull the Slidepod out from the boot, so cannot really do this with the Towbar bike rack on with bikes on it. If you remove the rack, no problems.

Back