Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VB air suspension

Devaprem

Devaprem

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I thought I would post my experience of buying the VB air suspension for my T6 150 Ocean. I did have to think hard because of the cost (over £6k with options) but took the plunge earlier this year and went for the full air 4C with auto levelling and emergency inflation valves. It's great! Ride comfort is significantly improved and there's less road noise too, especially good for long journeys on motorways. The auto levelling works very well too. It was a lovely vehicle to drive before that but this has made it even more so. I had it fitted by Rosmia, who provided an excellent service.

Here are some points that might help others considering this option:
1) Insurance: it has added a little to the cost, even though it is a VW approved modification. I'm with LV. I did shop around and got much higher quotes elsewhere (up to 5 times compared to my premium with LV!). One company (Admiral) refused to insure me because I could now lower the ride height (!)
2) Significant bumps (e.g. pot holes): I still notice these but less so and, if bad, still slow down for them when possible.
3) DCC comparison: I'll preface what I say here as being anecdotal. According to a VW California engineer at a main dealership who's experienced this and the VB system, DCC doesn't improve the ride as much as air suspension does. As an aside, apparently DCC alters the viscosity of the fluid in the suspension system to provide the different ride settings.
4) Warnings / alerts: the system does warn me via a low-level bleeping sound when I move off parking if I have left auto levelling on or am not in the standard or lowered ride height. Also, it does alert me if the system has to make adjustments to the ride height as a result of significant change in road camber / vehicle angle. If the system warns me, then I stop the vehicle to give it time to adjust to the chosen ride height. If it is just an alert, then I just drive a little slower, if possible, until the system stops bleeping (which is usually very quickly)
5) the lead time from order to fitting is very long, although I was fortunate in that Rosmia had a kit in stock by chance that was available when I called them. I was told (in August) that this was usually 14-17 weeks.

If I think of anything else, then I'll update this post but, in the meantime, I hope this is all useful information for anyone considering air suspension. Happy to answer any questions

Rosmia do a good job, and IMO, it is a good investment. Yeah, as long as you are not on super low, the bleep is just information that it is pumping up pressure back on.

Wait for that smug grin on your face when you are able to enter a car park with 1.8 m clearance on parking setting or when you get to a campsite and with the press of a button the van is level. A level van does take a lot of stress off even when brewing a cuppa tea. If I stop enroute, always press it to go level so that when you are sat, it is stress free.

Enjoy!

5) the lead time from order to fitting is very long, although I was fortunate in that Rosmia had a kit in stock by chance that was available when I called them.
Glad you enjoy it! We have really enjoyed our system these last years!

Now, our left front suspension has started to leak air (see elsewhere on this forum for our topic on it). After 8 years and 150.000 km in sometimes trying circumstances (see our travel reports on this forum), no real surprise.
We wanted to replace the left front system, but ran into the same delivery issues, that seem to be facing all of the automotive industry currently: looooong delivery lead times! Weeks, for a replacement part!
Our dealer made a provisory repair so we can safely continue to run the van (it doesn't seem te leak air now) until the new left front suspension is delivered. May still be 4 weeks...

Interesting that 1.8 clearance possible, kurienp. I hadn't yet done measurements, so good to know that's possible. It'll be even better if I can go through the barrier and there's a car park attendant that I can wave to as I do so!

I thought I would post my experience of buying the VB air suspension for my T6 150 Ocean. I did have to think hard because of the cost (over £6k with options) but took the plunge earlier this year and went for the full air 4C with auto levelling and emergency inflation valves. It's great! Ride comfort is significantly improved and there's less road noise too, especially good for long journeys on motorways. The auto levelling works very well too. It was a lovely vehicle to drive before that but this has made it even more so. I had it fitted by Rosmia, who provided an excellent service.

1) Insurance: it has added a little to the cost, even though it is a VW approved modification. I'm with LV. I did shop around and got much higher quotes elsewhere (up to 5 times compared to my premium with LV!). One company (Admiral) refused to insure me because I could now lower the ride height (!)
2) Significant bumps (e.g. pot holes): I still notice these but less so and, if bad, still slow down for them when possible.
3) DCC comparison: I'll preface what I say here as being anecdotal. According to a VW California engineer at a main dealership who's experienced this and the VB system, DCC doesn't improve the ride as much as air suspension does. As an aside, apparently DCC alters the viscosity of the fluid in the suspension system to provide the different ride settings.
4) Warnings / alerts: the system does warn me via a low-level bleeping sound when I move off parking if I have left auto levelling on or am not in the standard or lowered ride height. Also, it does alert me if the system has to make adjustments to the ride height as a result of significant change in road camber / vehicle angle. If the system warns me, then I stop the vehicle to give it time to adjust to the chosen ride height. If it is just an alert, then I just drive a little slower, if possible, until the system stops bleeping (which is usually very quickly)
5) the lead time from order to fitting is very long, although I was fortunate in that Rosmia had a kit in stock by chance that was available when I called them. I was told (in August) that this was usually 14-17 weeks.

If I think of anything else, then I'll update this post but, in the meantime, I hope this is all useful information for anyone considering air suspension. Happy to answer any questions
Had no additional Insurance cost when I had it fitted, Safeguard.

Can you add some pics, been interested in this for my new joker if it ever arrives.

Not sure why you’re comparing DCC with Air?

Two completely different things. One is a spring the other is damping.

For 4x4 Joker and anyone else interested, here are some photos, plus approximate measurements, including some from the apex of the wheel arch to the centre of the wheel hub (front driver's side wheel). The height of my vehicle is about 199cm from the top of the awning for reference

VB air suspension - sport mode.jpeg

VB air suspension - normal mode.jpeg

VB air suspension - off road mode (46cm arch to centre).jpeg

VB air suspension - normal mode (43.5cm arch to centre).jpeg

VB air suspension - 'sport' mode (41cm arch to centre).jpeg

VB air suspension - car park mode (40cm arch to centre).jpeg

VB air suspension - remote.jpeg

Last edited:
Sidepod - I was just curious to know if ride comfort in the one was possibly better than that in the other. I appreciate they are different systems

Sidepod - I was just curious to know if ride comfort in the one was possibly better than that in the other. I appreciate they are different systems
Love the sound of air suspension.
I have DCC and am impressed. Whilst I can't change the ride height, I can quickly change the firmness of the suspension for eg roundabouts or hairpins, or softening up for motorways.
Another benefit of DCC on the 6.1 is it weights up the steering. There is an 'individual' mode too so you can have soft suspension and firm steering which makes the feeling more precise and easier to control on the motorway, with a soft ride.

Love the sound of air suspension.
I have DCC and am impressed. Whilst I can't change the ride height, I can quickly change the firmness of the suspension for eg roundabouts or hairpins, or softening up for motorways.
Another benefit of DCC on the 6.1 is it weights up the steering. There is an 'individual' mode too so you can have soft suspension and firm steering which makes the feeling more precise and easier to control on the motorway, with a soft ride.
I don't know of anyone supplying air suspension with DCC as the cost would jump up due to having to utilise a DCC front strut.
Rear only would be OK as the spring is replaced by an air bag.

For 4x4 Joker and anyone else interested, here are some photos, plus approximate measurements, including some from the apex of the wheel arch to the centre of the wheel hub (front driver's side wheel). The height of my vehicle is about 199cm from the top of the awning for reference

View attachment 86595

View attachment 86596

View attachment 86597

View attachment 86598

View attachment 86599

View attachment 86600

View attachment 86601
Figures that I took from the VB site some years back were
Front
Std 440
Sport 415
Off Road 470
Carpark 380
rears were all 5mm higher except carpark which was 25mm lower

Don't think that I could locate the info last time that I searched.

I wouldn’t mind betting air suspension uses a substandard strut as a base. When I say substandard I mean not as good as OEM kit.

The air kit only take a standard Mac strut, removes the coil and fits a balloon.
Costing dictates they use the cheapest kit they can get which may mean possibly worse damping than standard.
Just me being sceptical/realistic.

I wouldn’t mind betting air suspension uses a substandard strut as a base. When I say substandard I mean not as good as OEM kit.

The air kit only take a standard Mac strut, removes the coil and fits a balloon.
Costing dictates they use the cheapest kit they can get which may mean possibly worse damping than standard.
Just me being sceptical/realistic.
I took it off and had Bilstein fitted as I didn't like the bouncy front (ALKO struts)

Shame they don’t do the job properly and make an air chamber that’s adjustable with volume spacers (as per bike forks/shocks) then you could tune the spring rate for a progressive/regressive curve.
The volume spacer could simply be a plunger controlled by a solenoid valve operated from the dashboard.

Presumably the balloons fit on a strut with adjustable damping?

No adjustable damping on struts.
The rear damper being independent from the bag could use any variable rate damper.