Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VED from 12th March 2020 - Classification

ChocolateEclair

ChocolateEclair

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Does anyone know if a Cali is currently registered as a M1SP vehicle - i.e. a motorhome?

I understand that in the budget there was an announcement that from tomorrow, motorhomes will be treated as vans for the purpose of VED but I'm not sure whether this would apply to a Cali?

If so, it means the VED goes from £1820 to £260 but this may be wishful thinking!

Can anyone with a new T6.1 let us know what it is classed as please. I can see us with a T6 registered as MPV being royaly shafted If different.

As Californias no longer qualify as Motor Caravans (must be a high roof, pop tops not counting) it seems pretty safe to assume that they will be taxed in line with cars. Equality??

Does anyone know if a Cali is currently registered as a M1SP vehicle - i.e. a motorhome?

I understand that in the budget there was an announcement that from tomorrow, motorhomes will be treated as vans for the purpose of VED but I'm not sure whether this would apply to a Cali?

If so, it means the VED goes from £1820 to £260 but this may be wishful thinking!
The California has always been registered as M1 Diesel Car, with a Body Type defined as Campervan/Motor Caravan/Motorhome up until September 2019 when it changed to MPV, Multi Purpose Vehicle

The Big White’s or Motorhomes are coachbuilt on Commercial N1 chassis and were treated as a N1 Commercial vehicle with Body Type Motorhome.
September 2019 that all changed and they were taxed as Diesel Cars with a very significant increase in VED. This has now been reversed.

However, van conversions also based on a commercial N1 vehicles can no longer have their V5c Body Type changed from Panel Van to Campervan/Motor Caravan/Motorhome following conversion, only to Van with Windows.

collecting ours later this week and it is an MPV

collecting ours later this week and it is an MPV
Thanks for confirming jillyfish, not a great situation and obviously its a way round the V5 saying a van with windows!!!!

Back