Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VED REDUCED!!

Are you sure it’s correct? The VED reduction previously announced was for vehicles registered as motor homes not VW California’s

Yes - I just noticed that too after previously believing the VED reduction didn't apply to Calis - in fact my dealer had previously contacted me to say the price would be higher due to the VED increase so he now has no excuse not to reduce it!

It's on the new price list here: 1st May Price List

I also notice that overall prices have increased slightly from when I ordered in January.

It's great news for those of us with vehicles currently in some state of build at the factory.

Are you sure it’s correct? The VED reduction previously announced was for vehicles registered as motor homes not VW California’s
I'm confused. My registration document gives model as California SE TDI 180 A; body type as Motor Caravan and taxation class as Diesel Car. It's the taxation class that count isn't it?
If what @SusiBus says is correct, VED on my 2013 Cali is going to be higher than that on a new one.

Yes, it's on the price list, £270. Have any other VED categories changed and how would I find out? Wouls Google know?

Bonus, I get my new van beginning of June (hopefully). Thats a nice couple of hundred quid saved :)

Must mean that Oceans are going to be registered as Motor Caravans again.
Cheaper VED for the first five years & more expensive after that than one registered as MPV based on current rates.

That price list is full of errors - there are dashes where there should be dots. Ie in the roof colour section & Kitchen cupboard colour bit.

The VW finance site has changed as well - max term for HP now 5 years was 10. & minimum deposit for HP is 50% !!

Just been told that the VED on a new California has been reduced to £270 + £55 first registration fee. This has come about after lobbying by the Motorhome industry.

Spooky just received this today following my enquiry to VWCC relating to the California and the Grand California.

Was just about to post then saw yours.

Reference Grand California

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxx.

With regard to your enquiry, I have had further information from sales support, which I have included below.

California and Grand California models are now eligible for private light goods (PLG) and private HGV (PHGV) tax classes, following changes announced in the March 2020 Budget.

PLG (tax class 11) is for vehicles with a gross vehicle weight equal to or less than 3,500kg – making it applicable to California and Grand California 600 3.5-tonne.

PHGV (tax class 10) is for vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of more than 3,500kg – making it applicable to Grand California 600 3.88-tonne and Grand California 680

I trust this is the information you require.

Kind regards

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Customer Relations Advisor

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles

T
0800 783 4909
E customercare@vwcv.co.uk
Internet: www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk

Is it being back dated?
I don’t believe it is. I did hear that once the vehicle is registered there is no going back, it is set. Apparently HMRC rules prevent it being reduced. Weird I know, but not unexpected.

Very very unusual for legislation to be backdated. Image the principle it sets down, particularly if the shoe is on the other foot

Will this now open up the Goods versus Car speed limit issue?:headbang

We got our Cali, new on March 20. paid 1280 first years VED. end of March SORN, and received a refund of, I think 435 being 11 months remaining TAX for the year. Note the comments above, including that rate of new charge (270 pa) cannot be backdated, but also checked re intro rate date, and the new rates came into effect on 12 March, a week before we registered our vehicle. Should we not have paid the lesser rate? should I get in touch with dealer or with DVLA? Do i understand correctly that the new rate of 270 now continues ad infinitum, rather than the previous 475 for the first five years as was previously stated. much appreciated.

Agree. I would find out when and who registered the vehicle for you and having a quiet word with them. From the 12th you should have paid the PLG tax. I suspect someone registered the vehicle before the 12th.

Mine was registered on handover once happy.

Agree. I would find out when and who registered the vehicle for you and having a quiet word with them. From the 12th you should have paid the PLG tax. I suspect someone registered the vehicle before the 12th.

Mine was registered on handover once happy.
thanks. ours was registered on the day we collected, 20th March, I am absolutely sure about this as there was a delay in our payment going through and nearly were not able to complete the transaction and therefore, register, which was done, only when all monies received by dealer later on the same day.

We got our Cali, new on March 20. paid 1280 first years VED. end of March SORN, and received a refund of, I think 435 being 11 months remaining TAX for the year. Note the comments above, including that rate of new charge (270 pa) cannot be backdated, but also checked re intro rate date, and the new rates came into effect on 12 March, a week before we registered our vehicle. Should we not have paid the lesser rate? should I get in touch with dealer or with DVLA? Do i understand correctly that the new rate of 270 now continues ad infinitum, rather than the previous 475 for the first five years as was previously stated. much appreciated.
So to re tax your van after sorn will you pay the lesser amount?
Ours was taxed on the 2nd of March I thought about sorn but wasn’t sure what I would get back?
So didn’t bother
If I sorn it now will I pay 475 or 270 pa.

thanks. ours was registered on the day we collected, 20th March, I am absolutely sure about this as there was a delay in our payment going through and nearly were not able to complete the transaction and therefore, register, which was done, only when all monies received by dealer later on the same day.
Also does it say mpv on your logbook or motorhome??

So my last cali my18 was a motorhome but my latest one my20 is an mpv and yours registered 10 days after my20 is a motorhome?
Wow balls up is an understatement .
Do any of these total fruitcakes have any idea what there doing????
Jokers!!!!

Back