Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vehicle registration/handover before 1st April

D

Darbs

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Can anyone advise whether their dealers have said they can definitely register a California as soon as it arrives on UK soil to avoid the April tax changes?
Our dealer has called the factory today, and our Cali is apparently at checkpoint 7 on the production line so close to being finished. He also said that his admin team have told him that the vehicle has to be actually handed over to us before 1st April for us to avoid the tax change. This seems to be at odds with what other people have been told by their dealers, so it seems there is no consistency between dealerships. Has anyone had direct information from VW about this?

Thanks

What other dealers say may or may not help. I suggest not. I suspect there issue is one of payment. If they registered in your name and you then for any reason refused the vehicle they would have issues. I don't know this is just a guess.
Full payment by you beforehand may solve this if your willing to take the gamble.

Having said that, hopefully they will do everything they can.

Fingers crossed for you

Mike

Last edited:
I think that there is also the issue around ownership, as it would have to be registered in the name of the dealer and on their insurance. The purchaser would technically and in log book terms be the second owner and it would not be a one owner vehicle.

We bought a new Sharan in 2011, and I was then a road at short notice. The dealer offered to sort out registration etc on my behalf, and this was the outcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dealers can register the vehicle in a customers name on line & can use form V996 to deregister it within 7 days if the sale of the vehicle falls through. The V5 only shows registered Keeper not ownership!
I would have thought the dealer should be able to register as long as the vehicle was in the country, you just won't actually get your hands on it until after the PDI is done & you've paid.
The biggest risk is the DVLA computer crashing in the days just before the deadline as there is a surge of dealers trying to register cars.

Our dealer says it has to move to code (I think it was) 50 which is usually a day or so after it arrives in the UK. It can then be registered even though it's not at the dealership or with the new owner.

I have previously bought two new cars where I was the first registered keeper. In both cases the car was registered before I paid for it. This seems pretty normal practice - generally when you turn up to collect (an inspect) a new car it is already registered, taxed and ready to go - you will have been provided with registration details in advance in order to organise insurance and you generally won't have paid anything other than the £1000 deposit until then. So I don't see that payment should be a reason for the garage not to be able to register the vehicle.

Yeah, I bought a pre-reg Transporter in January. Except it hasn't been registered so I paid the deposit & it was registered in my name, same as Rupes. Paid remainder a few days later & the dealership had it delivered.

Once it's registered it'll trigger payment to VW, which some dealers may not want to do. What if it then falls off the transporter or turns up MI's built our defective...
On the other hand, if they need the registration for the quarter year target, they'll be more likely to do it. It'll be down to the individual dealer or group.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I may be wrong but if you check the small print of the contract you signed when you ordered your cali you will find you are liable for payment. Dealer has no reason not to register as soon as they can.

My dealer told me that the dealership gets audited within the first couple of days of the new tax year to prevent fraud (buyers claiming vehicle bought in different tax year). Wasn't sure whether to believe it. Don't care really, just want keys in my hand asap...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back