Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vehicle Service and Warranty records

Perfectos

Perfectos

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I started a new thread on this subject as it is starting to be discussed in another thread & I think it warrants its own discussion

VW do not provide a service book (anymore.)

all service records for VW vehicles are now electronic records.

in theory any dealer should be able to print out a service / warranty record for any vehicle for the owner / prospective owner, however this system is severely flawed.

VWCV system is different to the car group, ( cars have an app that can access the info immediately by the customer) Commercial vehicles do not !

VW further complicate this for warranty works:
VW do not supply customer paperwork !
Even if the customer formally requested, the dealer will not routinely provide paperwork!
most customers are probably happy with this, particularly as the work has been provided for free?
but how do you prove it in future?
Answer: you don’t !

My experience: I had to formally request paperwork copies of warranty work to date, the dealer was unable to provide this!
initially I was told they would not provide this due to “Data protection “ ?
I persisted and asked for the details of MY VAN, to which any data protection relates to be provided in full !

written records of various warranty work were eventually and begrudgingly provided in part, some considerable time later.

The records I was provide, were dealer generated PDFs , emailed to me !
individual page was provided for each instance of warranty work. Not a comprehensive record on one report
The records provided did not / do not include all items I know have been carried out and recorded on the VW system ! (I have seen the records on VW system)

Beware of what VW / dealers tell you regarding the ease of access to a vehicle service records, particularly relating to a Commercial vehicle records such as a Cali.

There is massive scope for specific works not to be evident on the vehicles comprehensive records (available to the customer or prospective future owner).
(I.e. no concise proof can provided to customer relating to “All works” and it certainly will be made available (in writing) to others without vehicle registration documents !

Is this a potential future issue ?

VW have cleverly glossed over this potential issue in their marketing by grouping all Vehicles into the same category (cars vs commercial) VW policy clearly say that the vehicles records (works carried out by VW) can / will be easily available and will be printed out by dealers and handed to the customer on request? which is not my experience, even when requested it was / is incomplete and not a concise report of all works !

If you doubt this, ask a / your dealer to provide you with a full “service and Warranty“ record for your vehicle either electronic or paper copy to be provided within a few minutes of your request ?

I bet VW can only provide the customer with routine service information? Minor / major Etc not proper records for all works

please feel free to discuss your findings and if you have had any paperwork provided for warranty work to date ?

is this a dealer specific issue or a failing with the whole system ?

what are people’s expectations and experience Of the Electronic records ?

I would suggest that all owners keep a proper paper copy record for all work Over the life of your vehicle

Each visiting time to Service Center you can asking Service Center for printing receipt paper record for what functions they have perform your California what is detail each piece remove and new one attach.

Vw is not own Service Center. Service Center is separate business who is ask to perform function of Sell / Service Vw identity vehicle. Vw make inspection this business and is say Yes or No they can be represent Vw brand to sell or to Service.
When is vw gives authority to separate business to selling and servicing Vw brand vehicles also allow computer connection allow Vw to building record of history for vehicle - guesswork is if is warranty claim made can seeing vehicle is or is notting correct procedures follow.

So is always owner good to ask Service Center printing paper work complete each time is visiting then is not problem.

Each visiting time to Service Center you can asking Service Center for printing receipt paper record for what functions they have perform your California what is detail each piece remove and new one attach.

Vw is not own Service Center. Service Center is separate business who is ask to perform function of Sell / Service Vw identity vehicle. Vw make inspection this business and is say Yes or No they can be represent Vw brand to sell or to Service.
When is vw gives authority to separate business to selling and servicing Vw brand vehicles also allow computer connection allow Vw to building record of history for vehicle - guesswork is if is warranty claim made can seeing vehicle is or is notting correct procedures follow.

So is always owner good to ask Service Center printing paper work complete each time is visiting then is not problem.
Thanks for your response.

My point is the records are not freely available to customers as VW state in their own blurb!

you should be able to access a full record of your vehicle via the dealer network (as stated by VW)

what records do you have for your vehicle to prove / back up your vehicles provenance?

have you had warranty work carried out ?

A main dealer service history is one that shows that all work completed on a vehicle has been carried out by an official authorised dealer. This is often regarded as the most coveted service history. As it shows the owner has spared no expense in looking after their car.

The key benefits of using a main dealer to carry out work on a vehicle is the peace of mind that only approved parts will have been used and that all staff are trained to work specifically on your make of car.

A car with a full service history demonstrates to potential buyers that the vehicle has been properly maintained. As well as showing the work that has been carried out it also gives a buyer insight into how the car has been looked after.
A well organised and detailed service history tells a buyer that the current owner cared about the car. While it’s not 100% proof of the cars history, it’s a very good indicator.
For a seller, the service history is important as it helps retain the value of your car.

From HPI website

“Depending on the car’s age and make a partial history might be acceptable, but if it’s more than two years old and comes with no history at all its value will be dramatically affected – it could be worth as much as 40% less than an equivalent car that comes with a full service history”.

VW state

“Peace of mind

You’ll never need to worry about your service record being lost, damaged or altered. That’s because our digital service record can instantly be accessed by any Volkswagen Retailer in the UK, and reprinted whenever you may need it. So if for any reason you need to change your local Volkswagen retailer, it’s simple to make the switch. And as we’ll update your records digitally when you come in for a service, there won’t be any missing records when you come to sell the vehicle.”

A record should be anything/ everything that has been carried out on a vehicle ?
How many have a FULL record, including warranty work,?

how many have tested this comment for a Cali : “reprinted whenever you may need it.”

not just relying on VW marketing Blurb For it to be available in future ?

@Perfectos , this is an issue that has been at the top of my mind for some time and thank you for starting a separate thread on this. I would like to have a detailed record of "my" van for "me" to understand what all work has been carried out.

I asked the dealer when I purchased my van from them, but in all the excitement of the purchase, that fell through between the cracks. I plan to pursue this and will keep this thread updated.

If I were maintaining records, any purchaser from me would get detailed notes on what work was carried out when along with all proof.

From HPI website

“Depending on the car’s age and make a partial history might be acceptable, but if it’s more than two years old and comes with no history at all its value will be dramatically affected – it could be worth as much as 40% less than an equivalent car that comes with a full service history”.

I started a new thread on this subject as it is starting to be discussed in another thread & I think it warrants its own discussion

VW do not provide a service book (anymore.)

all service records for VW vehicles are now electronic records.

in theory any dealer should be able to print out a service / warranty record for any vehicle for the owner / prospective owner, however this system is severely flawed.

VWCV system is different to the car group, ( cars have an app that can access the info immediately by the customer) Commercial vehicles do not !

VW further complicate this for warranty works:
VW do not supply customer paperwork !
Even if the customer formally requested, the dealer will not routinely provide paperwork!
most customers are probably happy with this, particularly as the work has been provided for free?
but how do you prove it in future?
Answer: you don’t !

My experience: I had to formally request paperwork copies of warranty work to date, the dealer was unable to provide this!
initially I was told they would not provide this due to “Data protection “ ?
I persisted and asked for the details of MY VAN, to which any data protection relates to be provided in full !

written records of various warranty work were eventually and begrudgingly provided in part, some considerable time later.

The records I was provide, were dealer generated PDFs , emailed to me !
individual page was provided for each instance of warranty work. Not a comprehensive record on one report
The records provided did not / do not include all items I know have been carried out and recorded on the VW system ! (I have seen the records on VW system)

Beware of what VW / dealers tell you regarding the ease of access to a vehicle service records, particularly relating to a Commercial vehicle records such as a Cali.

There is massive scope for specific works not to be evident on the vehicles comprehensive records (available to the customer or prospective future owner).
(I.e. no concise proof can provided to customer relating to “All works” and it certainly will be made available (in writing) to others without vehicle registration documents !

Is this a potential future issue ?

VW have cleverly glossed over this potential issue in their marketing by grouping all Vehicles into the same category (cars vs commercial) VW policy clearly say that the vehicles records (works carried out by VW) can / will be easily available and will be printed out by dealers and handed to the customer on request? which is not my experience, even when requested it was / is incomplete and not a concise report of all works !

If you doubt this, ask a / your dealer to provide you with a full “service and Warranty“ record for your vehicle either electronic or paper copy to be provided within a few minutes of your request ?

I bet VW can only provide the customer with routine service information? Minor / major Etc not proper records for all works

please feel free to discuss your findings and if you have had any paperwork provided for warranty work to date ?

is this a dealer specific issue or a failing with the whole system ?

what are people’s expectations and experience Of the Electronic records ?

I would suggest that all owners keep a proper paper copy record for all work Over the life of your vehicle
Our van is having it’s first service in August @Perfectos. If not provided I’ll ask for a printout of works carried out. Let’s see ………

When our bench seat wad repaired under warranty we were not given any paperwork. All we have are emails from Citygate and VWCS. TBH i’m not worried about having a full list of parts that were replaced. However if in the future we had a major component repaired/replaced, let’s say the gearbox!! I would definitely want a record.

Our van is having it’s first service in August @Perfectos. If not provided I’ll ask for a printout of works carried out. Let’s see ………

When our bench seat wad repaired under warranty we were not given any paperwork. All we have are emails from Citygate and VWCC. TBH i’m not worried about having a full list of parts that were replaced. However if in the future we had a major component repaired/replaced, let’s say the gearbox!! I would definitely want a record.
Hi GG,

why not have a record of the Bench replacement?

it cannot hurt and IMO should be disclosed in the vehicle records ( innocuous or not) ?

The fact is if you have warranty work carried out, you / future owners should be able to see the extent of works carried out to date ?

if I take a vehicle to a garage and they carry out work, regardless if warranty or not, I expect a record ?

take for example you own a vehicle that has had a warranty repair to a component that later becomes an issue for potential buyers for example the issue with replacing the parts on 180 engines to prevent potential premature engine wear ! If it could be proved that the works were carried out by VW it would carry more relevance?

why would VW not live up to their promise in their Blurb, regarding the simplicity of the dealer printing out the history of a vehicle, not just when the service was carried out ( which a lot of people don’t even understand what is / is not done at service, let alone warranty) after all it’s your vehicle and you have a right to complete records of the work VW have carried out, regardless if you paid for it or not.

incedentally, if you had paid for the bench / bed to be changed you would have been provided with a record to show the works were carried out !

edit: If you specifically ask for a record of ALL works carried out to your van, by VW, why is it not possible to make it available ?

Hi GG,

why not have a record of the Bench replacement?

it cannot hurt and IMO should be disclosed in the vehicle records ( innocuous or not) ?

The fact is if you have warranty work carried out, you / future owners should be able to see the extent of works carried out to date ?

if I take a vehicle to a garage and they carry out work, regardless if warranty or not, I expect a record ?

take for example you own a vehicle that has had a warranty repair to a component that later becomes an issue for potential buyers for example the issue with replacing the parts on 180 engines to prevent potential premature engine wear ! If it could be proved that the works were carried out by VW it would carry more relevance?

why would VW not live up to their promise in their Blurb, regarding the simplicity of the dealer printing out the history of a vehicle, not just when the service was carried out ( which a lot of people don’t even understand what is / is not done at service, let alone warranty) after all it’s your vehicle and you have a right to complete records of the work VW have carried out, regardless if you paid for it or not.

incedentally, if you had paid for the bench / bed to be changed you would have been provided with a record to show the works were carried out !

edit: If you specifically ask for a record of ALL works carried out to your van, by VW, why is it not possible to make it available ?
Good points @Perfectos might well ask for all records when I have the service done at Citygate later this month.
Just remembered that Eurovans did the software update for the roof a couple of months ago, so that should show up also I guess.

Good points @Perfectos might well ask for all records when I have the service done at Citygate later this month.
Just remembered that Eurovans did the software update for the roof a couple of months ago, so that should show up also I guess.
HI GG
That’s the issue !
unless you ask for the record it will not be provided, if the roof issue becomes a future issue how do you tell if your van has had the fix, other than you know it was done but can’t prove it, similarly if you have a future problem its up to you to keep records to determine when and by whom the works were carried out or Guess !

edit: Remember works ( including warranty) can be carried out at any dealer through the country of origin or in the case of service only anywhere within the dealer network world wide!
It relies on that dealer recording the detail of the work they carried out and recording it correctly (noting there is no way of the customer being able to check the “complete” record.

I remember @Amarillo have a service done, for which he paid for, however the dealer recorded it against the service plan he had ! Fortunately he was able to prove he paid for it (I think) maybe Amarillo will update us ?

the point is mistakes happen and a record is only as good as the company who record it, the customer only finds out if there is an issue when they interrogate the record quality and completeness, possible only at sale of the vehicle, and when it could affect the validity of the ”History” regardless if you have done everything correctly!
Or not at all if correct records are not available?

take for example; Add blue update, how many can say for sure (and prove it) that their van has had this update ?
It maybe that in future you will be limited to access areas without such an update, but you won’t have a record or indeed be able to prove it !

edit: there are too many what if‘s that exist but shouldn’t with proper records: Records VW have and keep to themselves

Last edited:
Case in point : from T6 forum

Last edited: