Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vehicle tax

Patrick T

Patrick T

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
sold our T5 conversion and bought a Cali, why is the Cali so much more expensive to tax ? Same shell, Same engine albeit different HP, bit heavier but effectively Not that different, or am I missing something ??
Thanks

It all depends on the year you bought the tax costs changed in 2006 and certain engines became more exspensive to tax. Due to co2 levels.

It all depends on the year you bought the tax costs changed in 2006 and certain engines became more exspensive to tax. Due to co2 levels.
Our T5 was 2009 and the Cali is 2012 ??

What size van was your conversion?

I think it also depends on the initial vehicle classification M1 or N1, found on V5 document.
N1 means commercial and attracts a lower Road Tax.

Mine is the same amount, for California as it is for my Ford connect .

There is lots of confusion of the tax classes of SE's and Beach's, but you are perhaps comparing apples with oranges? Your old van may have still been a Van (for tax purposes), which are cheap to tax. Most people are coming at this from ensuring their Cali is taxed as a motorhome (cheapish) rather than a car (very expensive when they have the emissions of a Cali).

Motor homes and most van conversions are based on a base commercial vehicle, not a car.
Now a camping conversion based on a VW Caravelle or Shuttle would be in the same tax group as a California SE, a car.

The road tax on my 2009 cali and 2011 transporter are identical.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Back