Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vehicle Type when booking Ferries

C

Calimark

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi,

Can anyone confirm whether we can book the ferry (eg P&O or DFDS) by selecting "car over 1.85m" or do we have to always select "motorhome". I believe with Eurotunnel we have to book as "campervan" due to the fact that the height is over 1.85m.

Thanks
Mark

Mark, we always choose Motorhome and put the correct dimensions in as this avoids any hassle at check in, even the isle of Wight ferry would not allow us to go on as a van or mini bus, we had to choose campervan. It is not only the price it is to make sure there is enough space on the particular crossing for each type of vehicle, also some companies will put all vehicles with gas tanks in a certain area's on the ship hence why it is always a good idea to declare you are a campervan/motorhome.

DFDS make this a simple process as the option you want would be car/motorhome <2.4m high

There really is no confusion about this on their website and makes things really easy. Just don't book in with the roof up :lol:

As for carrying gas this does not come under the IMDG regulations which in essence is the maritime version of road ADR regs due to the limited quanitiy

Would you believe I carried 106kg of fireworks on the ferry last week and although they are dangerous goods the quantity and explosive net mass was not considered enough to warrant either ADR or IMDG regs :shocked

Euro Tunnel charge a £9 premium for Camper Vans. When I phoned to ask why we were charged more than the equivalent Van the reply was pretty much 'because we can ....' :evil:

Stu said:
Euro Tunnel charge a £9 premium for Camper Vans. When I phoned to ask why we were charged more than the equivalent Van the reply was pretty much 'because we can ....' :evil:

And don't forget to declare your gas cylinder on the Eurotunnel as this is a requirement for travel

You also cannot carry more than 47kg of gas in your Cali

m4rky said:
Stu said:

And don't forget to declare your gas cylinder on the Eurotunnel as this is a requirement for travel

You also cannot carry more than 47kg of gas in your Cali

When we went from UK they checked it and stamped the tag, coming back from Calais and they also checked it but no stamp on the tag.

Would you believe I carried 106kg of fireworks on the ferry last week and although they are dangerous goods the quantity and explosive net mass was not considered enough to warrant either ADR or IMDG regs :shocked

Yep can believe that. You can carry hazardous chemicals in 1 litre cans, hundreds of them, but as soon as you want to carry 1 45 litre drum you have to be ADR certified !!

Hi Stu, did the gas checking delay you in anyway and reduce the speed benefit of the Eurotunnel in the first place ?

we got pulled over last time we used the tunnel, when he saw the hassle of lifting the tailgate with all the bikes on it he said he would take my word for it and left us to go on our way. coming back from France we were not checked at all.

Calimark said:
Hi Stu, did the gas checking delay you in anyway and reduce the speed benefit of the Eurotunnel in the first place ?

No not really Mark. As Martin says it's just the time taken to access the cylinder.

In the UK it was done en route to the queue, in Calais it was done in the queue.

Re: Eurotunnel gas check......

Last year, got the normal pull over for a 'gas cylinder' check, which means taking the bikes off the bike rack which is a compete pain and time consuming.

The answer? I used my mobile to film me checking the isolator on the cylinder and closing the compartment in the morning we left. As the film is time stamped, he could see that 5 hours ago, I had checked it........

His response? 'I've been doing this 8 years and never had someone do this before- that's fine, I can see you've thought about and checked'.

I'll be doing the same when we go over in a few weeks again.......

Is there a problem with taking a spare 907 gas cylinder on a DFDS ferry? I thought I read somewhere that only one cylinder was allowed ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Not sure about dfds but I took a spare on p&o without being checked

CaliGreg said:
Re: Eurotunnel gas check......

Last year, got the normal pull over for a 'gas cylinder' check, which means taking the bikes off the bike rack which is a compete pain and time consuming.

The answer? I used my mobile to film me checking the isolator on the cylinder and closing the compartment in the morning we left. As the film is time stamped, he could see that 5 hours ago, I had checked it........

His response? 'I've been doing this 8 years and never had someone do this before- that's fine, I can see you've thought about and checked'.

I'll be doing the same when we go over in a few weeks again.......

When we get pulled over for a gas check, I lift the glass and show them no gas comes through the hobs with the valve under the sink on and off. So far they've been happy.

Andy

Back