Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Velcro Hook and Loop tape.

John

John

VIP Member
A lot of the Brandup accessories like the Iso Top or fly-screens depend on a good Velcro fixing in your Cali. The inside of a Cali can be subjected to a large varieties of temperature and humidity so any old Velcro will not have a good longevity. So where do you go if you need to replace worn Velcro or maybe you are updating to a new Cali and want to keep your Brandup accessories.

I needed some Velcro for a Iso Top so needed to look into it. I contacted a very helpful and knowledgeable chemist at 3M who do there own industrial version of Velcro, 3M hook and Loop tape.

He advised me to first get tape that has a Acrylic adhesive the 3M reference for the hook hairy side of Velcro tape that you need is SJ3571. He also advised me on the importance of degreasing the surface you are applying the tape to. Car thinners, methylated spirits, and surgical spirits all sound the obvious choice but they all leave some form of residue. He recommended Rubbing Alcohol that can be purchased from a chemist.

After I have fitted the Brandup Iso Top I will leave a post in the Iso Top review subject in this section.

John

Next step for me was to source some hoop Velcro and Rubbing Alcohol.

First the hoop Velcro.

The 3M SJ3571 hoop tape was a bit of a problem in that it only came in large rolls of 100m which worked out quite expensive around £100. Finally went for Velcro's (didn't realize this was the trade name) version of 25mm Acrylic adhesive hoop tape. This was purchased for £25.86 (including 1st class postage) for 25m from MPD Hook and Loop. Good company who got the tape to me the next day.

Item code V1825330L

http://www.mpdhookandloop.com/?gclid=CP ... fAodrHI1bQ

The Rubbing Alcohol

Again a problem tried two of our local Chemist and got some funny looks until I explained what I needed it for. It has been illegal for many years to buy any Alcohol over the counter from a chemist. But all was not lost found some on Amazon under the name of ISOPROPANOL IPA Isopropyl Alcohol. It is sold as a cleaner and is used mainly for cleaning electronic connectors and camera lenses. At 99.9% Pure it would burn a big hole in your stomach, I just hope it does not burn a big hole in my Cali. :eek:

Sold by: Shiny Hardware Limited for £4.99 inc. post

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003 ... 00_details

John

FYI, Clas Ohlson is a good high street place to buy velcro of various kinds if you're lucky enough to have one near you...

Simon

Back