Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ventilation when heating is on

A

aileen

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello helpful Cali owners. I read on here that it is essential to ventilate the van when the heating is running. Can any of you tell me if you leave a window open? I’m camping in Portugal now and it gets very cool after 5.30 pm. Being alone I don’t really want to have a window open. Any advice please

Hello helpful Cali owners. I read on here that it is essential to ventilate the van when the heating is running. Can any of you tell me if you leave a window open? I’m camping in Portugal now and it gets very cool after 5.30 pm. Being alone I don’t really want to have a window open. Any advice please
Maybe get an Airsafe? Lets you lock the tailgate but with a small gap.

If you’re feeling unsafe on this trip, I think the worst you will deal with is lots of condensation in the morning without ventilation. You can think about other options for future trips - air safe for tailgate, dubflecta’s on front windows may help a little as well. Sliding windows are, I think, a bigger risk.

Ventilation has nothing to do with running the Parking Heater.
Just being in an enclosed van, without any ventilation will produce condensation. The roof being up will provide some ventilation through the grills in the canvas but most open the cab windows by about an inch, or if windy then just open the downwind window by 2 inches, and if cool outside turn the heater up.
You can get metal grills to insert in the cab windows for ventilation.

Wind deflectors are a good thing to have, you can
lower the windows a bit without it raining in.

Like Sad says, having the roof up gives plenty of ventilation, if its
too cold outside i often fold the bed down with roof up and
close the shutter 7/8ths.

Aileen, Portugal is one of the safest places and especially if you are on a camp ground, and have the poptop down (but why would you on a campsite), leave the drivers/passenger window a crack open and you will be fine. If you have the poptop open, then don't worry about it as there are vent holes at the top of the canvas.

If at a campground, get the poptop up and you will be fine.

Once you get back to the UK (or if you are at a Portugal address for long, then order online) invest in a side window vent panel.and that will help.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Wind deflectors are a good thing to have, you can
lower the windows a bit without it raining in.

Like Sad says, having the roof up gives plenty of ventilation, if its
too cold outside i often fold the bed down with roof up and
close the shutter 7/8ths.
Vehicles are not sealed boxes, they all have vents, normally hidden in the rear to ensure heating/cooling air flows through otherwise the pressure build up would severely restrict operation. Now how much is enough when the fan is not operating is another matter.

Thanks to all of you grand people for taking time to answer. I didn’t have internet to reply sooner. I’m on a campsite with the roof up but there’s several days of storms forecast and rare sunny days so I may lower the roof. Asked before I had to. I will look in to vent panels. Many thanks

For window vents, have a look at CSI Parts.

Back