Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vertical Kayak Racks

Debra Lumsden

Debra Lumsden

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Has anyone tried a tow bar mounted Kayak option? I came across this company
https://vertiyak.com/products
and was thinking of trying it out or getting someone to make something simiar. Travelling alone loading a 22kg kayak on the roof is a gigantic pain, it’s not the weight of the kayak that is a problem - it’s the manoeuvring of it alone above head height whilst trying to stand on a ladder!

Cheers

Debs

Hi
Looks interesting - no I've never seen it. I presume you've heard of the Karitek system? (Roof rack which drops down the side for loading.)

Hi, Never seen one of these in the UK or Europe. It fits the US style towbar mount (essentially a square socket) so wouldn't fit a Cali.

Not sure how long your kayak is but it would have to be a pretty short playboat for it to not stick up hugely above the roofline of a Cali. Not sure what our traffic laws say about high protruding objects or just how stable it would be. Could work on a big white motorhome maybe.

A boat that short would sit comfortably inside the van with the bench folded down using a survival bag or similar to keep the interior clean and dry.

Sounds like you need to think about getting a step or decorators folding workstep to help you reach higher. That or the extending roofbar that slides back into itself so you can rest one end of your boat up against it before lifting the other onto the roof bar. Thule do those.

Enjoy your paddling.

Has anyone tried a tow bar mounted Kayak option? I came across this company
https://vertiyak.com/products
and was thinking of trying it out or getting someone to make something simiar. Travelling alone loading a 22kg kayak on the roof is a gigantic pain, it’s not the weight of the kayak that is a problem - it’s the manoeuvring of it alone above head height whilst trying to stand on a ladder!

Cheers

Debs
Fine for a 3m, or so, high Motorhome. For a California, unless your kayak is 2m or less as soon as you passed 30mph then likely to be ripped off.