Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Viciously attacked by a Big White

Whistler

Whistler

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Driving along a narrow country road today to be confronted by a big white coming the other way. I slowed to a near stop so we could pass each other safely. They keep on barrelling along and smack my wing mirror so hard it folds in. Whatnots don't bother to stop and continue merrily on their way.

Time to fit the Boudica Swords on the wheels or maybe the 007 retractable version reserved for Big Whites. New option for the T6.1

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Driving along a narrow country road today to be confronted by a big white coming the other way. I slowed to a near stop so we could pass each other safely. They keep on barrelling along and smack my wing mirror so hard it folds in. Whatnots don't bother to stop and continue merrily on their way.

Time to fit the Boudica Swords on the wheels or maybe the 007 retractable version reserved for Big Whites. New option for the T6.1

When confronted, like you, with a similar situation on a road with no central marking I Stop basically in the middle of the road so that they cannot drive pass. Once they have stopped I’ll slowly pull over and presume they will do the same, to their side, so we pass each other slowly in a controlled manner.
Something similar happened to me in my Land Rover Defender that had rather “ Industrial “ side mirrors. I’d stopped, they didn’t in their large, long Motorhome. My wing mirror didn’t fold and proceeded to leave a very nice, deep and perfectly straight new coach line along the full length. He didn’t stop either.

When I used to drive HGV's I had the same problem initially until I learned not to show signs of weakness by pulling over to my side too soon. I also was given the sensible advice to stop (ie be stationary) and let the other vehicle drive past as they would be responsible for any damage caused.

When I used to drive HGV's I had the same problem initially until I learned not to show signs of weakness by pulling over to my side too soon. I also was given the sensible advice to stop (ie be stationary) and let the other vehicle drive past as they would be responsible for any damage caused.
And get a dashcam to prove their identity.

And get a dashcam to prove their identity.
Will have to think about that. Unfortunately stopping in the middle of the road was not an option on this occasion as the road had a centre line and I would have been over it. I'm just annoyed at big white drivers that have no idea of how wide their vehicle is, especially when passing oncoming traffic.

A lot of great whites are now hired. These drivers are not used to the width and some cannot drive for toffee. You meet them on the NC500 and then you should be worried.

Had the exact same situation a few weeks back in Yorkshire. Blew my mirror to pieces ☹

A Great White ‘my offside mirror ‘whilst driving near Carcassonne
Gathered the bits.and using a mirror ‘borrowed ‘ from my wife’s toilet bag taped it to the remains of the wing mirror
Offending party failed to stop.
Apart from now thinking I will use a dash cam ,has anyone experience of using adhesive spare wing mirrors?

A Great White ‘my offside mirror ‘whilst driving near Carcassonne
Gathered the bits.and using a mirror ‘borrowed ‘ from my wife’s toilet bag taped it to the remains of the wing mirror
Offending party failed to stop.
Apart from now thinking I will use a dash cam ,has anyone experience of using adhesive spare wing mirrors?

A Great White smashed my driver's mirror (lhd) while I was parked at the Talisker distillery on Skye a couple of weeks ago. French rental driver. I was able to snap the pieces back together and made sure heating element/electric adjustment still worked, so I was incredibly lucky. He wasn't, his mirror broke and on the rebound smashed out his passenger (rhd) window. He stopped, asked me to fill out papers for HIS insurance, and accepted full responsibility.

Back