Vin number being copied

john mar

john mar

Basil
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi all.
Can anybody confirm, can a scum bag copy our vin numbers and get a key cut. Wondering its clear on the dash .
Read this on another group.
Thanks

In UK and most of the world you need to have an original registration document with matching photo ID. It used to be just the registration document but since Heathrow long term carparks were emptied of their valuable cars over a 2 year period by people applying for registration documents and then ordering keys this changed.

Don’t worry about your VIN, they’re often on display inside windscreens, a determined ringer can find out the vin via a finance check. They’re not of enormous use.

Manufacturers parts depts also refused orders for keys if they were “out of territory” as bent main dealers in the former communist republics were ordering keys for their UK based mates.

This makes losing keys on unregistered cars painful and losing keys abroad a nightmare. Leave a spare key with a friend.

Recall cases of Ford (I think) vans being broken into but not stolen or anything taken then weeks later being stolen. Apparently first time was to get the details in order to order a key.

Is there any reason why we can not cover the VIN number by just popping a piece of card in front of it so you can't read from outside the Cali?

Is there any reason why we can not cover the VIN number by just popping a piece of card in front of it so you can't read from outside the Cali?
No reason. Sometimes vehicles also have vin details etched in the glass.

No issue there, I noticed every visible VIN in expensive cars in Bangkok was covered up, just make sure you can get the cover up off, you’ll be more likely to get the police asking why you’ve hidden it.

Your registration number is more likely to be used for criminal activity and you wont be covering that up. Cali’s are valuable in bits sure, but rare, often unique. This is off putting for thieves. A transit or tweaked up Audi much easier to shift. You can get trackers for £50, or fit some excellent anti theft devices for very little. My favourite is a hidden micro switch for the fuel pump. They start the car. They drive off. They get 300m as the fuel in the lined runs out. They wont be hanging around a dead car stuck in the middle of the street.

If you really don't want it displayed, get a brush with black paint and paint the VIN window in the glass black.
You can use some black glass primer.
Carglass or so sometimes has to do it on new windscreens with the VIN window, but on cars without VIN number in the dashboard.

Oh, do it on the inside, otherwise one can scratch the paint/primer and still see the number.

Oh, do it on the inside, otherwise one can scratch the paint/primer and still see the number.
I would like to show me how you are gonne paint over the VIN nr. on the inside ...
On mine that would need a very small paintbrush and a smurf getting inbetween the dash and the window;)
This is my solution
IMG_2679.JPG

I can only try to help.

My VIN is already visible for over 10 years. I am not going to hide it now.
Who the hell would be interested in such an old van? With an electrohydraulic roof... With an Android radio... With a rusty 16" spare wheel... With a crorroded roof and front spoiler... With a plastic steering wheel without multifunction...

Not me

Even if a VIN allows you to purchase a key to unlock the vehicle the electronics still have to be paired to the vehicle to start it or switch off the alarm.

There should be a device that you plug in your OBD that disables the transponder. You plug it in, turn over the key and start the engine without problems.

They even have devices to read your remote code. You lock your vehicle, they intercept the code and use it to open your van without key.

If they want to get away with your van, they will.
The only thing you can try is to make it them as hard as possible, but then you risk more damage.

There should be a device that you plug in your OBD that disables the transponder. You plug it in, turn over the key and start the engine without problems.

They even have devices to read your remote code. You lock your vehicle, they intercept the code and use it to open your van without key.

If they want to get away with your van, they will.
The only thing you can try is to make it them as hard as possible, but then you risk more damage.
True, but the alarm will still sound if you open a vehicle using a key that is not coded.
Easier just to burgle the house and get the keys..
The original question was about hiding the VIN number. To be honest, if someone wants the California they’ll take it with or without a VIN number on display.

Even if a VIN allows you to purchase a key to unlock the vehicle the electronics still have to be paired to the vehicle to start it or switch off the alarm.

And that’s the reason why Transporter gangs open up the bonnet, lift up the battery and plug in a prepared motor computer that allows them to drive away. The whole procedure takes place in a matter of seconds. Our dealer says the T6 is less prone to these visitors than the T5.1 and .2.
With a T5 you can make it a bit more difficult for them, by hanging a strong lock on the bolt under the batt.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Just fit a ghost
I like the idea of a ghost.Can you tell me please how long you have had this device and has it always performed well. I am just worried one day it will not work . Thank you.

I like the idea of a ghost.Can you tell me please how long you have had this device and has it always performed well. I am just worried one day it will not work . Thank you.
I have slept soundly for over 18 months now and it has been flawless, entering the code is second nature and I have also incorporated a press on the start-stop button so that it's disabled for the journey(and I can enable it again with a press if the situation requires it).

I have slept soundly for over 18 months now and it has been flawless, entering the code is second nature and I have also incorporated a press on the start-stop button so that it's disabled for the journey(and I can enable it again with a press if the situation requires it).
Hi Loz,
I’m really interested in Ghost. I am worried though about what would happen if I was away from home and the Ghost malfunctioned. Do Ghost offer support to get you started again? I’m worried about having a vehicle that is impossible to start (I get that’s the point) if there’s a malfunction.

Hi Loz,
I’m really interested in Ghost. I am worried though about what would happen if I was away from home and the Ghost malfunctioned. Do Ghost offer support to get you started again? I’m worried about having a vehicle that is impossible to start (I get that’s the point) if there’s a malfunction.
If you know where it is (Some installers won’t tell you) you can simply snip the power lead. I have one and it has been reliable.
A bit of a faff if you forget to enter the code when someone’s behind you, as you have to wait 30s to try again.

Hi Loz,
If it fails it fails safe so wouldn't immobilise. But it could be disconnected if you phoned your installer he told you where it was.
If you get the code wrong you turn off the ignition and back on and try again no need to wait 30 seconds. The unit remembers the code for 30 seconds if you turn off and start again. It also understands start-stop and wont engage.

Start stop? Is this an overide.

Start stop? Is this an overide.
No the "Start-Stop system" that stops the engine when you stop at traffic lights with your foot on the brake.
Some don't like the system and go to great lengths to disable it etc.
Incorporating that dash button in your unlock sequence you can routinely disable the "Start-Stop" as you unlock the ghost.

Back