Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Visiting Relatives

Duncan

Duncan

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I would really like to visit my parents who live 350 Miles away in Cornwall

The government say I can't stay overnight at their home but can I stay outside on the drive way in the van?

If you are single then you can visit and stay with another household bubble.

You can not otherwise stay away from your home address.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The government say I can't stay overnight at their home but can I stay outside on the drive way in the van?
I can’t help on the ‘rule’ but as to acceptability
I think that may be more of a question for you Duncan.
i am not judging either way....I see very little consideration of the rules nowI see people having family round for meals regularly now plus larger adult friendship groups meeting in public.

I live in Scotland. Parents in England. They were not put on the vulnerable list so been out shopping more than me (I do most things online anyway). Yet I was not, and am still not, allowed to go and help them.
Yet I see people around me everyday ‘breaking’ the rules. It is heartbreaking that those with elderly relatives are basically being told to accept you may not see them again alive whilst others are allowed to flout the guidelines. I know everyone is under stress and doing their best. I also know from long daily internet calls that all my single friends are struggling, and even more so seeing neighbours with family flouting...
Sorry, just my view.
Please all keep maintaining social distance and washing hands. This is not over yet.

I live in Scotland. Parents in England. They were not put on the vulnerable list so been out shopping more than me (I do most things online anyway). Yet I was not, and am still not, allowed to go and help them.
Yet I see people around me everyday ‘breaking’ the rules. It is heartbreaking that those with elderly relatives are basically being told to accept you may not see them again alive whilst others are allowed to flout the guidelines. I know everyone is under stress and doing their best. I also know from long daily internet calls that all my single friends are struggling, and even more so seeing neighbours with family flouting...
Sorry, just my view.
Please all keep maintaining social distance and washing hands. This is not over yet.
Does Duncan live in Scotland?
Should anyone else have to live by the (chosen?) rules of Scotland if they live elsewhere?
Should anyone else have to live by the rules of where they do live....Especially if those making the rules do not do so?
I don’t have the answers for anyone else.

Does Duncan live in Scotland?
Should anyone else have to live by the (chosen?) rules of Scotland if they live elsewhere?
Should anyone else have to live by the rules of where they do live....Especially if those making the rules do not do so?
I don’t have the answers for anyone else.
Many questions there.
These are hard times. Most are trying to do what they think is the right thing within the guidelines for where they live, be that England, Scotland, Norway or Kuwait.
Others are trying to bend the rules to suit themselves. It’s not a discussion for here. So apologies if I misdirected the thread.

Duncan

My reading of the "social bubble" is a single from one household can visit another household which can be of any size, and there is no restriction on staying the night so I don't see you having a problem.

Currently illegal since June 1st to sleep outside of your house
"6.—(1) No person may, without reasonable excuse, stay overnight at any place other than the place where they are living."

Hopefully you live alone and can bubble with them

Leave very early, visit parents, drive back with 40 winks in a lay by.

Currently illegal since June 1st to sleep outside of your house
"6.—(1) No person may, without reasonable excuse, stay overnight at any place other than the place where they are living."

Hopefully you live alone and can bubble with them

The regs may not reflect it right now but the govt guidance now does say clearly that a single person "bubbling" can stay overnight: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/meeting-people-from-outside-your-household. It says:

"...from 13 June, single adult households – in other words adults who live alone or with dependent children only – can form a ‘support bubble’ with one other household. All those in a support bubble will be able to spend time together inside each others’ homes, including overnight, without needing to stay 2 metres apart."

Under the regs that would as far as I can see be interpreted as "reasonable excuse" as it's hard to see how following the explicit govt guidance could not be judged as reasonable.

The regs may not reflect it right now but the govt guidance now does say clearly that a single person "bubbling" can stay overnight: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/meeting-people-from-outside-your-household. It says:

"...from 13 June, single adult households – in other words adults who live alone or with dependent children only – can form a ‘support bubble’ with one other household. All those in a support bubble will be able to spend time together inside each others’ homes, including overnight, without needing to stay 2 metres apart."

Under the regs that would as far as I can see be interpreted as "reasonable excuse" as it's hard to see how following the explicit govt guidance could not be judged as reasonable.

[EDIT] Worth noting also that the regs have generally been amended on the day that the each relaxation in the guidance takes effect. So I'd expect to see the regs (SI 350) being amended tomorrow, ie 13 June which is when the 'bubble' rule is supposed to start.

or WG, to extend that ... "40 winks in a layby nearby and then go back to them in the morning again :D" problem solved. :thumb

Not really because WG said parents (plural). Still not allowed to visit them in the first place, regardless if you go home for the night. :(

That's my application for the Pedant's Award submitted anyway.

If and only If you are single you can create a bubble with your parents which would mean you could stay.
If there is a Mrs Duncan you cannot stay irrespective of whether she actually comes on the trip with you.

In every bubble there needs to be one adult who is single - in this case it cant be the parents but it could be Duncan.

Not really because WG said parents (plural). Still not allowed to visit them in the first place, regardless if you go home for the night. :(

That's my application for the Pedant's Award submitted anyway.
I’m not sure if you have used the apostrophe correctly here.....in general one shouldn’t use the apostrophe for a plural.....but there are complications when the article is a proper noun I agree(ie Velma’s Dad is correct!)
Sorry, but you did start it......

I’m not sure if you have used the apostrophe correctly here.....in general one shouldn’t use the apostrophe for a plural.....but there are complications when the article is a proper noun I agree(ie Velma’s Dad is correct!)
Sorry, but you did start it......

No no no the possessive in this case refers to the Pedant (singular) who is making the award. It doesn't refer to the Pedants (plural) who are, as a category of people, eligible to receive the award.

In this case the award maker was myself. It's an auto-award.

No no no the possessive in this case refers to the Pedant (singular) who is making the award. It doesn't refer to the Pedants (plural) who are, as a category of people, eligible to receive the award.

In this case the award maker was myself. It's an auto-award.
I think I’ve ‘got you’ here....in that case wouldn’t it have to be “The” Not “the”?

Apparently under the new regs you can visit someone that you have a "reasonable belief" is dying. Which covers everyone....so fill yer boots

[EDIT] Worth noting also that the regs have generally been amended on the day that the each relaxation in the guidance takes effect. So I'd expect to see the regs (SI 350) being amended tomorrow, ie 13 June which is when the 'bubble' rule is supposed to start.

UPDATE: And the regs have indeed been updated today. Making it legal to stay overnight in a "linked household" (which is what a "bubble" is termed in section 7A of the regs).

So your granny can indeed now come and stay with you. However you still can't all go off and camp somewhere together.

And as my daughter turned 18 last week I am no longer allowed to be considered for a bubble! So it’s just me and the dog on the settee watching 52 years of the Isle of Wight Festival!

I’m so confused now! I live in Scotland but need to visit my parents in Cornwall as the Eurotunnel tickets we have for July will require an extra 2 week holiday to cover quarantine!
Options that I can see.
1) camp on their farm and only see them outside.
2) leave my wife at home (may be a blessing) and take the kids to Cornwall to bubble up with my parents.
3) Pull the carer card, as my folks are pretty infirm and have been living out of an ancient chest freezer for the past few months. They need some fresh food!
Still a little unclear if I am able to leave Scotland though....

All confusion and rules aside, the weekend is almost over. @Duncan , we are all waiting with bated breath to see what you finally did

And as my daughter turned 18 last week I am no longer allowed to be considered for a bubble! So it’s just me and the dog on the settee watching 52 years of the Isle of Wight Festival!

Look out for me at the Dylan one in 1969!