Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Visiting the UK in June. Looking for tips

kurtk

kurtk

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi everyone!

We will be crossing the eurotunnel and go to stonehenge and avebury first. Then we'll be going in the direction of Lincolnshire to visit friends. After that my wife is going to walk Hadrians Wall Footpath. I will be driving the Cali from point to point. Hope to be in Carlisle in a day or 6. After that we'll visit Northumberland and possibly a bit of Schotland to.

So that's it in a nutshell. We have 20 days in total. I have a Britstop membership and lots of campinginfo but would love some firsthand insights.

-Is there a place you would recommend we visit?
-I can't find campsites near Newcastle upon Tyne. This is the start (Wallsend) of the footpath. We would want to camp near there for one night.
-Any tips on Kielder forrest? Place to stay. Is the toll road doable in a Cali?
-What parts of south Scotland are the most attractive?

Thank you!

Kurt, Maya and dog Max

If in Northumberland try Cragside house, a bit of interesting history. Driving north from Lincolnshire stop at York, I believe you can camp on the race course or there are some sites on the outskirts one of which is next to the river and you can take a boat from the site to the town center which is quiet pleasant.

If you look for Campsites around Berwick upon Tweed you will be close to Holy Isle and a variety of places. The weather can be a bit "raining sidesways" however even in summer. :)

You can camp at kielder castle car park overnight. It's a cracking spot. Just a small car park fee to pay. There is toilets but not sure about showers? A must visit is the observatory near by. If you like walking and it sounds like you do you can walk dead water fell from there. And theres a pub too.
on hadrians wall route near the sycamore gap is a pub called 'the twice brewed inn' . you can camp free in their car park if you eat in the pub. showers available and the food and real ale is great.

Last edited:
Thx for the replies sofar! keep em coming :)
@nick: will check Cragside house. Looks great. Have to look up the history
@John and Matt: Was at Holy Island couple of years ago. And yes it was raining sideways all day that day. Hopefully not this time.
@flyingbanana: the observatory I will visit for sure. Hoping for open dark skies full of stars.

On a side note. Just found out there's a "mighty dub fest" in Alnwick the weekend of the 14th. That's def on the list.

Greetz

Thx for the replies sofar! keep em coming :)
@nick: will check Cragside house. Looks great. Have to look up the history
@John and Matt: Was at Holy Island couple of years ago. And yes it was raining sideways all day that day. Hopefully not this time.
@flyingbanana: the observatory I will visit for sure. Hoping for open dark skies full of stars.

On a side note. Just found out there's a "mighty dub fest" in Alnwick the weekend of the 14th. That's def on the list.

Greetz
see you at THE MIGHTY DUBFEST !!! get your drinking shoes on for that one.

Very good luck to your wife, Hadrians wall is a very tough walk. It's also very busy in places as the Pennine way uses part of the wall.

Very good luck to your wife, Hadrians wall is a very tough walk. It's also very busy in places as the Pennine way uses part of the wall.
She's been practicing for a while. But it sure will be a challenge. Hope the weather is not to bad. fingers crossed

Old Hartley campsite at Whitley Bay just North of Newcastle slightly sloping site with views of the lighthouse. And a few white goods :). Old Hertley.JPG

If you have time cheddar gorge area is a great area. Not too far from stone henge, plenty to see and do, great walks, caves, bike rides, cheese factory,

Bristol city, heritage dock area, Ss Great Britan

Weston super mare sea front / pier / beaches etc.

Bath (Roman baths and spa)

Cotswolds, quintessentially English, Old stone cottages and quaint villages ( moreton in marsh, Stowe on wold, Bourton on water etc

Lincoln: cathedral

Lake District, Windermere, Keswick etc.

South Scotland : Edinburgh Castle

Regional food are worth trying

Black pudding - midlands origin I think

Stotty - north

Buttery - Scotland

Lincoln sausages

Cheddar cheese ( cave matured)
All sorts of other regional cheeses

Cream tea (scones and clotted cream serve with English breakfast tea)

Fried mars bar - Scotland

Regional beers and ales

I’m sure others will offer up other things to try on your travels up and down the country.

Enjoy and remember to post some pics of your travels and best bits.

Regional food are worth trying

Black pudding - midlands origin I think

Stotty - north

Buttery - Scotland

Lincoln sausages

Cheddar cheese ( cave matured)
All sorts of other regional cheeses

Cream tea (scones and clotted cream serve with English breakfast tea)

Fried mars bar - Scotland

Regional beers and ales

I’m sure others will offer up other things to try on your travels up and down the country.

Enjoy and remember to post some pics of your travels and best bits.

Thanks! Had to google stotty and buttery. Looks tasty. Fried mars bar is actually a fried mars bar :) Thats so wrong. I have to try it for sure. Haggis I ate once before and liked it too.

We'll post some pics. Probably me eating fried mars bars :)

Thanks! Had to google stotty and buttery. Looks tasty. Fried mars bar is actually a fried mars bar :) Thats so wrong. I have to try it for sure. Haggis I ate once before and liked it too.

We'll post some pics. Probably me eating fried mars bars :)
Don't forget scouse if you go to Liverpool! :)

Useful website if you like your historical places

You can change the search criteria to search for various things like castles etc.

Useful website if you like your historical places

You can change the search criteria to search for various things like castles etc.
Thanks! That's a great resource. There sure are a lot of them along the wall. I'll dive right in to that.
And I would like to thank everyone so far for the suggestions. This forum is top!

Back