Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Volkswagen Camper van. T25, 2 berth

JohnGuppy

JohnGuppy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Looking for a project to help my daughter and partner get on the road any bad points to look for
They don't have much money I don't mind doing the work
would welcome any advice

Just the same advise for any old van check for rust they might be better going for a t4

I personally think t4 is probably the useable affordable range now, even the T25 is getting a desireable vehicle as the bays and splits get expensive.

The T25 is growing in popularity and value, cheap ones will often be rust buckets from my experience. They will also be more prone to breakdowns and need more TLC. A hands on approach is a must with these old buses, old classics need a lot of love and patience.

For the T25:
Bodywork is the primary concern!!! Engines are kind of a replaceable item at 30+ years old.
Pre 84 and earlier (air cooled) vans are generally considered to be poorer quality with regards to panels than 85 onwards (around 84/85 they switched to german factories), the engines also went water cooled around 85. 1.6d will go forever, do between 35 and 40mpg but will be very slow and struggle not to lose sped up hills, may frustrate someone used to a modern car. Petrol 1.9 are pretty good will do around 25-28mpg but . There are also 1.9d/td and 1.6td which are good engines if looked after.

Take a magnet to check for filler it may have a lot.
Check rear wheel arches they are the primary location for severe ROT.
Front steps and arches are prone to rotting, not hard to replace but will need a good welder.
Check the trailing arms at rear, expensive to change but new parts are available.
Front bumper is a water trap and difficult to get at to weld, check for filler.

Best place for T25 is club8090 wiki online, full list of common faults and areas of concern.

Last edited:
The 2.1 fuel injected engines were prone to head gasket failure, rust, check along the body panel seams. I'd be tempted to go for a cheap T4 rather than T25.

Thanks for all your messages I am now under the impression pay a little extra and perhaps look at a T4 as a better stress free father option , if anyone is selling an older model please drop me a line

I can point you in the direction of a good Type 25, it's an '82 air-cooled four birth Westfalia with all the fittings available at the time, refillable gas tank, Eberspacher heater etc.
Recent MOT passed with minor (very minor) welding. If you are interested PM me and I'll give you the owner's email address, it's my son.
You will find it advertised in Volkswagen Driver magazine June edition I think.

Rod

Adding to the above, I would also recommend a LWB T4 but had to give Son's Type 25 a plug!

Rod

Looked at a 1988 T25 1900 Petrol yesterday been standing under a tree since 2009 when last on the road and bought it got it started last night , not sure if spiders are protected as lots from Brighton now live in Hastings
Its shows how things have improved or have they
But when my five year grandson said to my daughter can we have one of these vans like granddad we could go away
To see his little face beaming last night kids see though the dirt and grim rust and the block of French cheese dated 2009 in the fridge :oops:

If I can get the engine running today fingers crossed , and an MOT booked next Friday but luck sometimes not on your side all the time

We loved our T25 Westy :) Out of all the VW campers we had (and there were a few!) The kids still talk about ‘Dave’ as we called him, he really was a memory machine! Sadly we sold him about 5 years ago but he lives on with another family with youngsters, and I can see from their Instagram page that he is still very much loved. There is something about the T25’s, if I had the space I’d have another in a heartbeat. Interestingly the layout of my Cali is almost identical to the Westy (see pic below), so it just goes to show that they were well ahead of their time. Great vehicles.

There are several groups on FB you could join for advice and memory sharing if you fancied it. Have fun, There will be pain I’m sure, but the memories you make along the way will be worth it!

DSC_6760.jpg