Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Volvo to VW ?

Caught me out then, ;) I know that the vintage look is available to buy, white on black would just finish off the theme.

So is this the final chapter of our journey or the start of a new one ?

Saturday we are picking up a new white (candy) 204, 4-Motion, DSG with 24 options :eek: that includes monster mats and mud flaps!

Already looked at it and all options seem to there although until its PDI nothing works couldn't even power on on the ICE. Until PDI is complete remote locking does not work, power latch ditto, can only be driven at 20Mph.

Still not that excited ! More worried about what can go wrong or getting it stolen etc.. Wish I could be more excited. Ho Hum.

Nice spec you have there Teejay. Very similar to what I have ordered. Look forward to seeing some pics. I have 5 months to go. I havent ordered HD roll bars so interested to know what improvement it gives you in case I need to amend order. Pleased to see others are choosing white too. Seems theres a growing army of grey vans and I couldn't decide which to go for. Opted for Oryx in the end.

I did add the chrome pack for the, hopefully, reduced white van look. Spent the colour savings on the wheels ;-)

So is this the final chapter of our journey or the start of a new one ?

Saturday we are picking up a new white (candy) 204, 4-Motion, DSG with 24 options :eek: that includes monster mats and mud flaps!

Already looked at it and all options seem to there although until its PDI nothing works couldn't even power on on the ICE. Until PDI is complete remote locking does not work, power latch ditto, can only be driven at 20Mph.

Still not that excited ! More worried about what can go wrong or getting it stolen etc.. Wish I could be more excited. Ho Hum.

TeeJay. You will love it. You say it arrives on Saturday? Enjoy the whole thing. It will all work - keep those fingers and toes crossed! Looking forward to seeing the photos. Guess it will look similar to mine but not as low. The headlights will look fab. Would have liked to have had these but in the end I spend the money on the paint (onyx) and wheels.

TeeJay. You will love it. You say it arrives on Saturday? Enjoy the whole thing. It will all work - keep those fingers and toes crossed! Looking forward to seeing the photos. Guess it will look similar to mine but not as low. The headlights will look fab. Would have liked to have had these but in the end I spend the money on the paint (onyx) and wheels.

I'm sure it will. We are thinking of getting GAP insurance and getting some garden work done so we can have a "drive" at least it will be within the bounds of the property. Couldn't bring myself to pay that for the paint although what we saved we spent anyway! Thinking of getting some decals down the side a bit like the Edition version to break up the large white areas :thumb

We've gone for anything that I would've had on a new Volvo, good lights etc. although maybe not the 4WD/AWD. My seller has never had a mis-configured California and mine makes 100% success so far . Waffling now !

I'm sure it will. We are thinking of getting GAP insurance and getting some garden work done so we can have a "drive" at least it will be within the bounds of the property. Couldn't bring myself to pay that for the paint although what we saved we spent anyway! Thinking of getting some decals down the side a bit like the Edition version to break up the large white areas :thumb

We've gone for anything that I would've had on a new Volvo, good lights etc. although maybe not the 4WD/AWD. My seller has never had a mis-configured California and mine makes 100% success so far . Waffling now !

Like this one?

I see you have those little black cheaters on your wheel arches to make the tyre coverage legal. Did they come like that from VW or did you have to fit them when you put different rims on?

Nice van BTW. Side graphics look well.

Thanks days out. Came like that from the factory along with the wheels side graphics and black roof. It's a Caravelle Edition 25.

Thanks days out. Came like that from the factory along with the wheels side graphics and black roof. It's a Caravelle Edition 25.

Ahh. Makes sense if it's an official edition. Those little black lips on the arches make the car legal to sell. Most people remove them after registration.

The black side graphic does reduce the visual mass at the side of the van. Thinking of getting mine as gloss black California script.

Oo, like those wheels, that's what I'm looking for.. what are they?

Hi Loz, they're the 18"x8.5j Edition 25 specials and unique to that model I think.

After looking at all sorts of wheels I opted for a set of 18" Sportlines (LK Performance in Cleckheaton had a set). Had 255/45/18 104XL tyres fitted. I think they look pretty damn fine :)

Regarding handling, I actually think they make for a huge improvement compared to the stock 16" alloys.

Side stickers and tinted windows help to key-in the black wheels.

Very happy with the results.

20161028_134425413_iOS.jpg

20161028_134447859_iOS.jpg

First weekend away this weekend,Fri and Sat. Couple of hours from home, heading north young man, just as a shake down to see what drops out.

:upsidedown :upsidedown

Just noticed as I type and listen to Stanley Road, Paul Weller. This avatar is perfectly in time with title song.

Still learning the ropes of campervan life but after a few outings here's a couple of our lessons learned:

Get fresh water when it runs out in the evening before the standpipes are frozen after a 0° night.
(using a Platypus 2L bottle at the moment for simplicity)

Tidy away as much as can so you are ready for the next morning.

Have no topper of any kind and probably won't and no bungy either.

...message ends...

edit: check weather for your location for the coming night.

Last edited:
Still learning the ropes of campervan life but after a few outings here's a couple of our lessons learned:

Get fresh water when it runs out in the evening before the standpipes are frozen after a 0° night.
(using a Platypus 2L bottle at the moment for simplicity)

Tidy away as much as can so you are ready for the next morning.

Have no topper of any kind and probably won't and no bungy either.

...message ends...
Wait until the horizontal rain and strong winds/gales. It's all Insurance and saves having to dry the bellows if not using for a few weeks.;)

Hi All,
Story so far:

Picked her up on 29th October '16 and off again this weekend. That will make 14 nights away so far and its still January. Normally we'd be chomping at the bit to get out and about around Easter time, when the weather turned for the "better". Still early days but loving the freedom.

I can safely say that this California lark is a keeper. :thumb

...message ends..
T