Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW 30mm lowering springs

Marc Oldman

Marc Oldman

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Thinking of having these fitted to my T6, but keen to see before and after comparison pics (or even just ‘after’ pics I can compare with my own van)

If anyone who’s had this done has any pics I’d love to see them. And if your T6 happens to have the 18” Springfield alloys and is Starlight Blue, then all the better!

Big thanks in advance. Stay safe everyone

Here is our grey T5.1 with 18” Dakars and lowered 30mm. The front spoiler and side bars also add to the looks in my opinion.

The lower springs improve handling massively and remove the ‘wallowing’ in corners from standard springs (from experience from renting a standard T6 Ocean prior to buying our T5.1)

B2B72A49-79BD-4F19-8F6F-B37C8FF5914D.jpeg

Thinking of having these fitted to my T6, but keen to see before and after comparison pics (or even just ‘after’ pics I can compare with my own van)

If anyone who’s had this done has any pics I’d love to see them. And if your T6 happens to have the 18” Springfield alloys and is Starlight Blue, then all the better!

Some really good before and after pics by Jon A of 18inch wheels with lowering springs in this post:

It’s the best upgrade I’ve done on my Cali, ride is way better and looks better too.

I have some before / after pics, though T5 & 17’s, I’ll see if I can find them.

It’s the best upgrade I’ve done on my Cali, ride is way better and looks better too.

I have some before / after pics, though T5 & 17’s, I’ll see if I can find them.
Totally agree. I was actually shocked how bad the original springs are.
They're fine on straight roads but terrible on any twisty roads.

Had 30mm lowering kit fitted to my Beach.
No real negatives, slightly harder ride but much improved cornering noticable when going taking roundabouts.
One option that was reasonably priced £300 plus vat.

Had mine lowered from new ie 30mm and the up rated ARB, night and day difference. No rolling no bang or clattering monies well spent. All OEM.

You won’t regret it.

710BA4F1-8F87-4076-95F0-523BAB251E21.jpeg
After
4B3E78FF-D7DC-4F10-9FC5-0D58EC001508.jpeg
Before

Had the sidebars done at the same time. Lowering definitely improved handling and ride.

Thanks everyone, that’s super useful. I need to have the brake pads & discs done when it next goes in so I’ll add the lowering springs to the list and see if they’ll do me a deal!

Here is our grey T5.1 with 18” Dakars and lowered 30mm. The front spoiler and side bars also add to the looks in my opinion.

The lower springs improve handling massively and remove the ‘wallowing’ in corners from standard springs (from experience from renting a standard T6 Ocean prior to buying our T5.1)

View attachment 58422
Stop tempting me. There should be a law against seductive posts like this. I guess that's more expenditure to be justified on the grounds of better handling and better looks. I thought that Californias were a luxury version of a utility vehicle and once you broke the bank to buy one the expenditure stopped.

30mm lower 2m with rails onEFCEAE85-04D7-4189-A9C7-F0C0497138C2.jpeg

I admit the lowered vans do look nice and improved handling is appealing. Its not for me though, as I would not want to sacrifice ground clearance.

C2A009B3-03C7-4DF2-A92A-D79C5843CC21.jpeg
We went for the VW approved Eibach coil overs. Had the VW 30mm springs before and they were OK but the ride was a bit harsh. The coil overs have a progressive spring so soak up the small bumps and holes but are really taut going around corners etc. Much more car like to drive and even with the 20 inch wheels (now also supplied by VW) the ride is great! We have a 40 mm drop.

If you need/want to negotiate forest tracks or rutted campsites (after all, it is a camper) keep to original height but go for stiffer springs/anti-roll bars to improve handling on the twisty bits. Don't forget to inform your insurers that you have modified your vehicle if you ever want or need to make a claim.

IMG_3427.jpgIMG_3427.jpg
All lowered
This is our van lowered with vw lowering springs, best thing we did looks wise, I felt it still sat slightly high on the front when fully loaded and the back end sat low so I have put the original springs back on the rear and it sits about perfect in my opinion ( starlight blue with Springfields)
IMG_3427.jpgIMG_20200509_194949.jpg
Lowering springs front back to standard at the rear, ( empty)

View attachment 59045View attachment 59045
All lowered
This is our van lowered with vw lowering springs, best thing we did looks wise, I felt it still sat slightly high on the front when fully loaded and the back end sat low so I have put the original springs back on the rear and it sits about perfect in my opinion ( starlight blue with Springfields)
View attachment 59045View attachment 59049
Thank you! That’d identical to my van and just what I was looking for

View attachment 59045View attachment 59045
All lowered
View attachment 59045View attachment 59049
One thing that bugs me with my standard sprung Beach is the nose high look.. Have considered the lowering springs in the past and wondered if it would sort this problem.

Love the Starlight with Springfields.

One thing that bugs me with my standard sprung Beach is the nose high look.. Have considered the lowering springs in the past and wondered if it would sort this problem.

Front wheel arch is higher cutaway than the rear arch therefore when van level it looks nose up to the eye.

Came across these which look to be the answer to lowering as the front and rear spring heights are adjustable. options from damper/strut as well to comfort rating..

Thank you! That’d identical to my van and just what I was looking for

The Eibach VW coil overs are height adjustable 20mm-70mm so you can set up the stance of the Cali to your liking. They are a VW supplied item (can source elsewhere for less however) and I should have thought will therefore not impact warranty. You will need to advise insurance company and we had a small addition to pay Safeguard for our changes.

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 10.18.27.png

Yes that was my issue, didn't like how it looked, ie sat high at the front, I personally didn't mind the ride before I lowered it.i lowered it just to make it look better but it did also help the handling, during lockdown i decided to put the original springs back on the rear as I was catching the rear mudflaps when fully loaded over speed bumps etc and it also again looked nose high, as it is now I think it looks perfect, the adjustable one's I'm sure will be a far better ride and set them to whatever you want but also seem pricey, as what I have done was relatively cheap as for me it was just about the look, stay safe all and hopefully we can all get back doing what we enjoy very soon

I have a set of Bilstein B8 shock absorbers on eBay at the min item number 202986379582 as an auction. Had these on my Beach to level it out and improve the handling massively. I also have Vw 30mm springs to suit for sale. If sold to a member I will fit for a small fee.
these are a good alternative as the shock body is 10mm lower on the front.

I lowered my 2015 California a few years ago without doing the correct research and left it to suggestions from the person I used. Looking at my paperwork it shows that Eibach 30mm springs were fitted to the front only. I also changed the wheels to Zito 935 19" alloys. I was warned that the ride would be a bit firm and I must say it is to hard for our liking. I actually find myself explaining to new passengers what I have done and that I need to correct it. If you hit a pothole it feels like the whole van is going to break. Reading this post with interest perhaps it is just the 19" wheels and tyres (255/40) that were a step to far? If changing the wheels for 18" will improve the ride then that will have to be done at some point. Image 10-05-2020 at 12.05.jpgIMG_2346.jpg

Back