Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Beach Arriving Soon - Top 5 Things To Do

bagel.rhodes

bagel.rhodes

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hi All,

After nearly 1 year of waiting my Beach is finally on a boat destined to England.. I’ve spent the last year reading the great recommendations, ideas and creative thinking for all sorts of aspects of VW Camper Life. I’m trying to compile a list of things to get done quickly, making sure though I still get on with it and start Van life as soon as possible, nothing will ever be perfect but if I can smooth the edges then, skill..

I’m thinking of a couple of fundamental ”get it done” to start preparing, thoughts I’d reach out and test and add to my thinking and logic.

1. Upgrade security - I’ve seen some good pointers, swivel seats, spare tire locks wheel brace, ghost - I currently don’t have a garage and we have had cars broken in to around by us, so I want to make sure I don’t wait another 12 (and now probably 16 months)
  2. Bed’s Sorted - matress toppers up and down, bed linen, self inflating matress, additional blankets to add a bit if warmth or comfort, sleeping backs - I want to make sure the kids get a brilliant night sleep, giving options initially to find the best sleep quality vs size/weight/hassle
  3. Awning - Already brought as a Christmas present, I’ve practiced putting it up and looking at the space. Getting the Beach means I’ll put cooking stuff in here + another room for dressing / toilette / fridge. I’m working out the boxes to pack for food + utensil. The Awning is amazing, Outwell Bremburg, it really is 15 minutes and it’s up, great space, well partitioned and lot’s of windows / ventilation, it’s big but worth taking up the space (i’m hoping)
  4. Solar Panels - I really want to be as off grid as I can, I’d like to get this done in the first few months, that added option of going longer without worry about power
  5. Preparation and Packing - having the van ready to go, or quickly ready to go, going light and quickly
What’s other peoples thoughts on priorities, what’s your Top 5, are there any essentials that you did with your purchase?

Thanks for all your tips and I am so excited to finally start thinking about the fun and frolics we will all have…

Craig

Hi All,

After nearly 1 year of waiting my Beach is finally on a boat destined to England.. I’ve spent the last year reading the great recommendations, ideas and creative thinking for all sorts of aspects of VW Camper Life. I’m trying to compile a list of things to get done quickly, making sure though I still get on with it and start Van life as soon as possible, nothing will ever be perfect but if I can smooth the edges then, skill..

I’m thinking of a couple of fundamental ”get it done” to start preparing, thoughts I’d reach out and test and add to my thinking and logic.

1. Upgrade security - I’ve seen some good pointers, swivel seats, spare tire locks wheel brace, ghost - I currently don’t have a garage and we have had cars broken in to around by us, so I want to make sure I don’t wait another 12 (and now probably 16 months)
  2. Bed’s Sorted - matress toppers up and down, bed linen, self inflating matress, additional blankets to add a bit if warmth or comfort, sleeping backs - I want to make sure the kids get a brilliant night sleep, giving options initially to find the best sleep quality vs size/weight/hassle
  3. Awning - Already brought as a Christmas present, I’ve practiced putting it up and looking at the space. Getting the Beach means I’ll put cooking stuff in here + another room for dressing / toilette / fridge. I’m working out the boxes to pack for food + utensil. The Awning is amazing, Outwell Bremburg, it really is 15 minutes and it’s up, great space, well partitioned and lot’s of windows / ventilation, it’s big but worth taking up the space (i’m hoping)
  4. Solar Panels - I really want to be as off grid as I can, I’d like to get this done in the first few months, that added option of going longer without worry about power
  5. Preparation and Packing - having the van ready to go, or quickly ready to go, going light and quickly
What’s other peoples thoughts on priorities, what’s your Top 5, are there any essentials that you did with your purchase?

Thanks for all your tips and I am so excited to finally start thinking about the fun and frolics we will all have…

Craig
Extend the 3 year warranty to 5 years?

1. Upgrade security - spare safe wheel lock, cheap & effective. Steering wheel lock (visual deterrent when parked up) if you want to make the vehicle unable to be started without the code then a ghost immobiliser.
  2. Bed’s - try sleeping on the standard mattresses first.
    bed linen: upper bed standard single quilt cover slid over the mattress : down stairs (assuming triple seat bed) standard double fitted sheet, additional blankets to add: you probably will not need for in the van however when sitting outside of an evening extra blankets are a good idea. sleeping bags - three season bags will be plenty warm enough year round (did you get the night heater option ? ) I want to make sure the kids get a brilliant night sleep. (They will after all the excitement)
  3. boxes to pack for food + utensil. Look at really usefull boxes : stacking , various sizes and transparent. Truly amazing what you can fit into a box or two. Awning three days or more take the awning, less you may not want to. (Take spare rock pegs and guide ropes)
  5. Preparation and Packing - see #3, few additional suggestions
  6. compressor fridge (game changer) ,
  7. hook up cable,
  8. suggest: Luci solar string LEDs (white) can be used in the van, awning or under the wind out awning (solar recharge)
  9. plastic two litre drinks bottles (pop bottles ) on-site water storage, cheap & easy to replace take up minimal space, can be satires in the door pockets and the kids are able to carry them easily to / from the water fill location.
  10. Summit pop wine glasses (stacking)
  11. cutlery specific to your Van set up (I.e. A set specifically for the van) store in a plastic box.
  12. Mats For outside the van : Moroccan matting co + some cheap car mats / carpet / canvas floor tarp etc. helps keep the crud outside the van and stops the pitch cutting up when wet under foot.
  13. rock pegs (hammer in type)
  14. kettle
  15. Vw storage “bin” located in side doors are great for tea bags.
that should give you a few things to research.

some links / photos to assist: (no particular order)

D53A6B94-6585-465D-97CE-CB4B3213F8BC.png

122269FD-2A96-45EB-AAF3-BF1B66829F2C.jpeg

B34908F1-A42C-4A1B-87C9-2292499ACEA0.jpeg

Last edited:
Security - To help prevent break-ins, someone mentioned on here about using a U-lock between the steering wheel and door handle. This is a genius idea and something I am going to do. The drivers door is the only one with a visible lock. So if someone managed to get through the lock, opening the door would be very hard with only the door handle to pull on. To use this, you simply exit through the sliding door or passenger door.

To prevent theft, check out the Bear-Lock.

Compressor Fridge - How much space do you need? We use an Indel B TB15, although you can get an 18L version as well. This fits perfectly between the front seats and does not need anything to keep it in place. We only pack the basics in the fridge, which works for us :)

Kitchen bag - I can recommend getting a bag to store all your kitchen items. Here is what we use. Also have a pencil case for cutlery and a separate bag for utensils.

E8ED4E18-AAE5-46F8-A798-0525E35EE2E5.jpeg

Packing and organising - We try to keep things in larger containers. Two 64L Really Useful boxes under the multiflex, packing cubes for clothes go inside.

My top tip would be to keep everything that is going into the awning on top of the multiflex, along with bedding, and keep everything that stays in the van underneath. So once set up on site, making the bed is simple :)

Vanessa window storage bags are a fantastic addition to a Beach.
+1 for Vanessa window bags, using packing cubes, it’s easily achievable to store clothes for 4 people for two weeks (summer) In a “lost space”
they also create a black out for the lower bed

Last edited:
+1 for Vanessa window bags, usingg packing cubes, it’s easily achievable to store clothes for 4 people for two weeks (summer) In a “lost space”
they also create a black out for the lower bed
This is what we do, highly recommend the Vanessa window bags.

Kitchen bag - I can recommend getting a bag to store all your kitchen items. Here is what we use. Also have a pencil case for cutlery and a separate bag for utensils.

View attachment 94032
Good ideas, I was thinking about a pencil case for our cutlery. Bought a new set last year and still use the bubble wrap pouches it came in but want something better. We use a lidded box for larger utensils, just bought this after getting fed up fishing things out from the bottom of the large kitchen box (Also another vote for really useful boxes).

This is what we do, highly recommend the Vanessa window bags.
We have the California-Camping modular version with 4 individual bags that velcro to the backboard. If buying again, I wouldn’t bother as I never actually remove them individually. I would just get the Vanessa ones.

Absolutely try sleeping in it before buying mattresses. We've found the standard ones fine, paired with sleeping bags and camp pillows we already had.

Have the lot on here managed to empty your bank as yet?

If no, go to the thread - what have I got for my Cali today? That will definitely help

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

View attachment 94032
If you get stuff like Luci lights from Millets, you can get 10% discount iy you’re a member of a camping club (Cali Club not included unfortunately).

My top 5 would include an outdoor cooker like a Cadac or Campingaz Party Grill, pairs of croque shoes to slip on when on site, “fast” side awning sides like Outwell Fallcrest, Hillcrest, spare Gaz bottle.

You can make up a couple of side awning shade from standard oxford Tarps (Amazon etc Medium size ) two extra Knock in eyelets added to the middle (1 top and one bottom) very inexpensive solution (folds up to the size of a sandwich

six bungee balls per tarp, this was a recent trip to wales, kept the rain from between the Van & driveaway awning so the ground stayed dry and did not cut up (and not end up in the van) side tarps help to secure the windout awning and create a lot more space and privacy (Side attached to awning led via bungee ball)

very easy and cheap to do

edit if you want to extend to tarp further away from the awning to create a more acute angle and add air flow, (second last photo) you can add scaffold sheeting ties to extend the bottom pegging point, (three ties + 3 additional bungee balls per sheet)
similarly you can tension the edge of the sheet By attaching several together and pegging out, the second last photo shows the principle the scaffold sheet ties are highlighted in red (Anchored to ground at 2 points + two extra bungee balls per sheet)

2C749879-2834-4B42-8B2F-3C1CEF51A777.jpeg

1F290E34-1905-49D7-84B8-E2B32BD55164.jpeg

75569429-6550-4C6B-BFFC-8376666EE103.jpeg

BABA5C3E-EF43-4C78-9098-9F7EFAC5EF2E.jpeg

269FA37A-D3BC-4BD7-A0CD-7C79F23C1077.png

Last edited:
Change the under bench storage boxes to IKEA sample. Slightly larger and can stack with the lids if you want to put items in awning for ease of access.
Buy Vanessa window bags, easy access to clothes out the way and adds darkness/ insulation to rear windows.
Have a look at big ted printz for coat hooks or even rail for adding toilet/ kitchen roll.
Get some collapsible ducting to run heat from heater up to pop top if kids will be sleeping there in cold weather.
Decent small cooker, cadac is popular.
IKEA play mat (one with road map on it) furs very well in living area space and might also distract bored kids

Hi All,

Craig
The best thing we've bought for our Beach is the Bradrup Isotop. Be warned it's a bugger to attach and it makes it quite a lot harder to get the roof down. However, it's a game changer in terms of keeping the pop top a lot darker, cooler in the heat and warmer when it's cold. When the kids sleep until 8am rather than 5am it makes a massive difference to everyones camping holiday

Vanessa window storage bags are a fantastic addition to a Beach.
Very true, make such a difference and maximises space!! and I have a pair for sale :) see my ‘accessories for sale post’ not sure it’s gone live yet though :-0

Muji closet drawers.

Either 2x24 cm or 1x30 cm + 1x18cm fit *perfectly* under the Beach multiflex. They then stack nicely in a driveaway awning or can be left in situ under the bed when camping.

066c8fab6037b0b13da871fab39cd40b.jpg

Left: 30cm plus 18cm
Right: 2x24cm

d8d6d5df38ce79b616bd7768cf6a5966.jpg

Used to make the kitchen in the driveaway awning.

Last edited:
Back