Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Beach owners change to an Ocean?......

Ian-M

Ian-M

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi newbie here, - hello everyone!
We're doing extensive research, reading and searching for a Beach. In our own mind we really believe the Beach and the flexibility meets our requirements. Out of interest are there many members that have a Beach, but then change and opt for a kitted out Cali after a few years ownership and decide they want the cupboard space, sink and cook inside? Thanks

If you think you need a Beach you are probably right.

You are on the right lines if you are asking the questions you already suggested Do you need flexible space or organised storage? Do you usually cook inside or out?

Also add in the consideration of the Ocean built in must have/ could do without features like hydraulic roof/simple roof. The Beach is generally a simpler vehicle with less to go wrong over time, that said some would argue many of the Beach options/ Ocean std spec are essential. High spec Beaches are sought after.

The one concensus is that most would have opted for a parking heater as standard on a Beach and many were sold without them.

Good luck

agree. I went the other way when I realised we lived out of bags in cupboards and rarely cooked inside. These turned out to be easy things to solve in a Beach.
The main frustration for me was the poverty spec often found on Beaches as mentioned for the price. Parking heater is a must in my view.
On the T6 I thought I wanted a comfort dash. It turns out I'm not bothered at all.
my other deal breaker was 3 zone climatronic and heated seats.
I now have a beach with a sliding boot tray, Caligap, fridge freezer (flexible), camp kitchen (flexible) and storage boxes fitted to the exact size of the boot on the tray.

Leaving me a large double bed downstairs and more cabin room, 5 seats or 7 seats. It works more for us.

It frustrates me VW don't see the beach as a similarly luxurious lifestyle vehicle as the Ocean as I think it is and also that they appear to overcharge new.

You are on the right lines if you are asking the questions you already suggested Do you need flexible space or organised storage? Do you usually cook inside or out?

Also add in the consideration of the Ocean built in must have/ could do without features like hydraulic roof/simple roof. The Beach is generally a simpler vehicle with less to go wrong over time, that said some would argue many of the Beach options/ Ocean std spec are essential. High spec Beaches are sought after.

The one concensus is that most would have opted for a parking heater as standard on a Beach and many were sold without them.

Good luck
Thanks, that's useful to know - I actually added parking heater onto the 'must have' list yesterday :)
We've done 20 yrs+ of tenting, so really looking forward to extend the season

Thanks, that's useful to know - I actually added parking heater onto the 'must have' list yesterday :)
We've done 20 yrs+ of tenting, so really looking forward to extend the season
If you are hoping to extend the season. How will you cope in Winter?

I've had my beach for 5 years now, sometimes ponder an ocean but I think I would miss the internal space and extra flexibility.
I recently camped for two nights with just two people, and began to understand the attraction of an ocean.

There is so much more space available when it is just two people, and while I did not mind setting up the kitchen outside, I saw the attraction of an internal kitchen ready to go.

Quite a few members have gone both ways. ooo errr!

We recently bought a T6 Beach.... Having owned owned a few earlier (T3) Multivans and a Westfalia Club Joker we knew that the Beach was the vehicle that best suited us... We love the flexibility of the Multivan 'Whitestar' that we have, but headroom was always an issue... and being a 30+ year old vehicle now, we wanted something more usable as a car in modern traffic.

The Beach ticks all those boxes :D

I recently camped for two nights with just two people, and began to understand the attraction of an ocean.

There is so much more space available when it is just two people, and while I did not mind setting up the kitchen outside, I saw the attraction of an internal kitchen ready to go.

My solution to that, and I agree with you btw that at times it’s valuable, is to have either & £500 Vangear Nano. OR in my case now a Dock Kitchen with a seperate fridge, currently in the boot tray in the form of a CFX, my plan (and I appreciate this comes at a cost) is to have the CFX supplemented by a smaller fridge that fits between the seats or behind the passenger seat where I just don’t need such a large fridge but want some more boot space so shorter trips with family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're doing extensive research, reading and searching for a Beach. In our own mind we really believe the Beach and the flexibility meets our requirements. Out of interest are there many members that have a Beach, but then change and opt for a kitted out Cali after a few years ownership and decide they want the cupboard space, sink and cook inside? Thanks
I think you may find switching to an Ocean from a Beach is more amongst people who've kids have left the nest. There are people who swap the other way though. I think @Borris may have, if I remember rightly.

Yep, with just us 2 now and a small dog we went straight for the ocean. Although in 18 months I've used the hob once and the water and waste tank never (we still camp like we did in our old Toyota that had none of that - old habits!). We do use the fridge though and appreciate the cupboards. I often wonder if we'd have been better with a Beach, but my hubby's sure the Ocean was the right choice as far as he's concerned. He paid for it (I just buy all the internal extras), so I was happy to compromise :)

I think you may find switching to an Ocean from a Beach is more amongst people who've kids have left the nest. There are people who swap the other way though. I think @Borris may have, if I remember rightly.

I love gone the other way. I do sports with my kids, mountain bike, snowboarding and most of the time I want a heater, space for kit and for 2 to to change inside , overnight sleeping and somewhere to make a cup of coffee occasionally if in the wild not next to a cafe.
I don’t do these things when they were up to 8yrs old.
Now they can come to the pub/restaurant, ride bikes and boards with us and we have more kit.

But a few times a year, I want to camp for longer maybe a week or, go on a road trip, tour in Europe with 2-3 day stops. Then I want the option to have some of that ocean stuff.

I found I could do that with a beach with some key additions. Vanessa Bags are perfect for our clothing needs and very space efficient.
Then using the Nano or Dock kitchen (in my case) or similar and with really flexible boot space to keep a fridge or not.
So I now always have spare clothes (at least one Vanessa bag, can now cook inside if I want, always option to make a drink, have the fridge as a choice but 90% of the time I’ve also got a 7seat very spacious lifestyle sports type vehicle.

I love gone the other way. I do sports with my kids, mountain bike, snowboarding and most of the time I want a heater, space for kit and for 2 to to change inside , overnight sleeping and somewhere to make a cup of coffee occasionally if in the wild not next to a cafe.
Now they can come to the pub/restaurant, ride bikes and boards with us and we have more kit.

But a few times a year, I want to camp for longer maybe a week or, go on a road trip, tour in Europe with 2-3 day stops. Then I want the option to have some of that ocean stuff.

I found I could do that with a beach with some key additions. Vanessa Bags are perfect for our clothing needs and very space efficient.
Then using the Nano or Dock kitchen (in my case) or similar and with really flexible boot space to keep a fridge or not.
So I now always have spare clothes (at least one Vanessa bag, can now cook inside if I want, always option to make a drink, have the fridge as a choice but 90% of the time I’ve also got a 7seat very spacious lifestyle sports type vehicle.

"Vanessa bags" I'd seen pictures, but didn't know who supplied them

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm watching the secondhand options for Beach and Ocean; not a lot of choice at this time of the year, but the price gap seems to have narrowed. The Ocean would be a great camper to own; we would plan to Hire one first to see if the bed downstairs is wide enough for us :)

Good luck
Always good to remember that cooking inside in a Beach can be done in the same position and height as in an Ocean with the standard equipment plus a 14€ Decathlon stove. 94813397-084A-44FD-99DE-114CC0D122C8.jpeg

F65DFB15-83FB-4CEA-A3C5-9953AF7F95F8.png
At my 1.82 height, lounging with a pillow sideways on the 3 seat bench after dinner before clearing up is a unique Beach feature.

And, of course, when the time comes, my Ski/bike/Alpine club of 7 comes aboard with all their equipment.This is especially impressive since no one on the team is shorter than 1.80, and everyone rides in comfort.

I did get a high spec Beach, the only one I know with both a parking air heater and the factory programmable upgrade to the engine coolant heater to preheat both the engine and cabin on cold mornings.

Last edited:
Not many that will admit to it.;);)

We have a beach with parking heater and really enjoy it. It's used as second vehicle so we didn't want to travel with the weight of a kitchen etc.

Also we don't personally want to cook inside the van. We have camping equipment we use for cooking which suits us fine.

We are really enjoying the beach and the space inside especially the downstairs bed!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Some go that way, others like me go from the "kitted out Cali" to the Beach. Don't over think this issue. Buy the version that suits your needs now and don't worry about what others are doing or have done. Firstly their needs will almost certainly be different to yours. Also they may not necessarily have done the right thing given their personal circumstances. Look at the numbers of very low mileage Cali Oceans usually for sale on this forum and ask yourself why? They will be for sale for various reasons but you can bet your boots that some just didn't suit their owners.

Decide which version suits you best and go for it. The Ocean and the Beach are completely different vehicles that suit different user groups. Just remember that which ever version you buy, it will be a compromise. All campervans are.

Great description of the versatility of the Beach.

Pros and cons to both models, we loved our Ocean and all its built in storage and still found it comfortable with 4 in. We never cooked in it as we always viewed having a camper van as living the outdoor life. We did make a brew in it a couple of times but I was never really happy with a naked flame in a vehicle.

Pros and cons to both models, we loved our Ocean and all its built in storage and still found it comfortable with 4 in. We never cooked in it as we always viewed having a camper van as living the outdoor life. We did make a brew in it a couple of times but I was never really happy with a naked flame in a vehicle.
Off topic, but @Karlos have you moved from the north west?

Off topic, but @Karlos have you moved from the north west?
Yes, still come up for work spending 3 days in the North West and 4 Days in Cornwall but arrange my working days back to back which gives me 8 days in Cornwall. Mrs K is now permanently working from home so it allowed us to follow our dream of moving to Cornwall.

Back