Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Bike rack damaged...

calicasas

calicasas

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
After 3 years happy camping, I reversed into a tree and damaged our bike rack whilst in the Spanish Pyrenees only a couple of days ago...
Not disastrous, but I would like to obtain a spare part upon my return to the uk. Does anyone know if you can get spare parts and how much this might cost? I could imagine it may have happened to others. Picture attached. Thank you.

image.jpg

Yep...late one night while looking for a place to park and sleep at Dresden in 2010 I reversed into a lamp post. Same damage.

I don't think you can get spare parts, please let me know if you have any luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spare parts are available for some of the rack.

Please call Steve in our parts department to discuss on 01403 581242

thanks

Re: VW Bike rack damaged...NOT IMPRESSED

Well here's an update..
The main u-shaped arm which comes down and could be easily damaged does not appear to be a replaceable part.
I am very disappointed that VW do not make this part replaceable as it can be damaged easily when the cycle rack has bikes on it as others have attested to.
I didn't think it would happen to me and it did!
VW say that this is a new rack!
Be careful if choosing a rack for your Cali. Admittedly it does make the van look nice, however if you damage certain crucial parts you won't get replacements.
I am looking for a replacement rack which is not VW because:

1. No replacement parts for some items
2. The bikes sit quite high and I have found that this restricts access to parkings with height barriers or on some motorway toll points on motorways... Etc...
3. The weight makes it hard to access the boot so you have to take the bikes (or some off)

It's well made but not the most practical of racks...

So get a towbar rack. When I get round to fitting towbar I will be getting a atera strada for all the reasons you list.

Same here. Also the Towbar racks can be used on any vehicle fitted with a tow bar.My Atera swops between a MX5 and a Land Rover Defender and the California when I pick it up.

...yes but

1. You can open the boot and prop it with a stand with four bikes on it. (we use a small photographic lamp stand that doubles as a washing line support) This system worked well for our 3wk summer holiday in N.Spain and last year in France.
2. The ease of having the rack on the van all the time means you can take a bike on a journey with only a few moments notice
3. You can tow a (boat) trailer as well as having bikes on board. If you want both bikes and trailer, you are out of luck with the trailer hitch racks.

...but having said that, I also reversed the rack into a tree (the only one in the car park) whilst ignoring the silly old reversing beepers that were screaming at me to stop!! The rack is a bit bent but does still work and after all no none will nick it now.

Spare parts are available for some of the rack.

Please call Steve in our parts department to discuss on 01403 581242

thanks

Hi

I am looking for a replacement small arm and the extra standalone 4th arm Are they available ??

Cheers Michael

After 3 years happy camping, I reversed into a tree and damaged our bike rack whilst in the Spanish Pyrenees only a couple of days ago...
Not disastrous, but I would like to obtain a spare part upon my return to the uk. Does anyone know if you can get spare parts and how much this might cost? I could imagine it may have happened to others. Picture attached. Thank you.

View attachment 3550
Hi
Just done the same to mine!!! Exactly the same bar/damage!!!Did you get it fixed??

Surely the damage doesn't affect using it? It might not look great but it's high up so most won't notice.
Think I'd live with it than fork out £500 for a new one.

Cant really notice and still works fine... Just my OCD about my poorly cali!!
Gonna look at straightening aluminium tubing first...

I know campervantastic list quite a few spares for that rack......not the main tube, but it may be worth asking if it can be sourced.

Cant really notice and still works fine... Just my OCD about my poorly cali!!
Gonna look at straightening aluminium tubing first...

I've just bought a second hand VW bike rack, can you get mounting rubbers for these? Anyone got any pictures of the mounting points so I can see if they should have rubbers?

They don't have rubbers on what you need are these Replacement Bodywork Protector for VW California Original Bike Rack form the forum shop :thumb