Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Bike Rack - end caps...

bxl_lad

bxl_lad

Its not easy being green...
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Ey up,
I'm looking for end-caps for the rails/trays whatever you want to call them on my VW 'original' bike rack (the 4 bike carrier), before a child or small person scalps themselves when running past it!
I've had a look online and you can get the Fiamma ones as spare-parts (albeit at a price! - bearing in mind I need 8 of them...), but they have a different profile (see images). That said, maybe the additional profile could be filed down to allow a fit, but looking at the two they still seem to have a different shape (wider at the base)?

Just to know if anyone else has managed to sort this?

Cheers!

bike rack - missing end caps.jpg

Fiamma rack end cap.jpg

Heat shrink tubing?

Ey up,
I'm looking for end-caps for the rails/trays whatever you want to call them on my VW 'original' bike rack (the 4 bike carrier), before a child or small person scalps themselves when running past it!
I've had a look online and you can get the Fiamma ones as spare-parts (albeit at a price! - bearing in mind I need 8 of them...), but they have a different profile (see images). That said, maybe the additional profile could be filed down to allow a fit, but looking at the two they still seem to have a different shape (wider at the base)?
Hi just had

Just to know if anyone else has managed to sort this?

Cheers!

View attachment 18049

View attachment 18050

Hi just had a look at fiammi.de,
They want 3.80 euros each
Tony

Option might be to get the Fiamma ones and either file/grind the rack end to allow fitting or cut a slot in end cap then use some clear silicone to secure. I'd buy one to try before getting 8 though.

EBAY option for lowest price below. I looked at Thule but you'd be as well to buy a new rack as just ends pricewise.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiamma-Bi...837567?hash=item4afbe792ff:g:jQ4AAOSwdU1W-AZo

Another solution could be to use alloy angle bar and fix it to the ends across all 4 wheel carriers giving a solid end. You could then put reflective or safety tape on that.

Last edited:
Have you tried a dealership? I had a technical hitch with our VW rack a few years ago. The local dealer was able to find the part number and place an order. It was on back order for a little while but the part did arrive eventually and I was able to reinstate the rack for regular use. Also I have a feeling the current racks use the same profile extrusion. They might be more readily available.

Thanks for the suggestions folks... I will indeed try the dealer first... But the idea of running an angle across the trays is not a bad one either :thumb

I need the 4 plastic covers that go over the bolt heads, but my dealer can't find them. They only have limited spares for the rack on their system. Is there another way to track down a part number?

If anyone has a 3D printer?
I could create a Stl file of the original part.

I'm looking for one of these as well. Asked SMG Tonbridge who suggested I needed to buy the entire 'gutter'. Can't remember the cost, but I did not buy it!

I'm interested to hear if anyone from nods an answer.

Thanks

Rick

Ps: it's the VW rack on a 2015 SE

I'm looking for one of these as well. Asked SMG Tonbridge who suggested I needed to buy the entire 'gutter'. Can't remember the cost, but I did not buy it!

I'm interested to hear if anyone finds an answer.

Thanks

Rick

Ps: it's the VW rack on a 2015 SE

oops, edited auto-correct

Did you ever find these parts. I'm missing one from mine and I would like to replace it.

I've been tracking the https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/ website in Germany - lots of these racks, but mostly asking a high price - Got lucky though, one guy was selling a damaged rack and eventually I convinced him to sell me the caps... Awaiting the delivery as I had it sent to the inlaw's in Germany...
I've seen a picture of what he sent to them though - a little shocked, he just hacked off the end of the rails! :eek:
Will maybe find out why when they arrive... :Nailbiting

...anyway, moral is, keep looking and widen the search, you might get lucky too!

WhatsApp Image 2017-06-20 at 10.36.17.jpeg

I've been tracking the https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/ website in Germany - lots of these racks, but mostly asking a high price - Got lucky though, one guy was selling a damaged rack and eventually I convinced him to sell me the caps... Awaiting the delivery as I had it sent to the inlaw's in Germany...
I've seen a picture of what he sent to them though - a little shocked, he just hacked off the end of the rails! :eek:
Will maybe find out why when they arrive... :Nailbiting

...anyway, moral is, keep looking and widen the search, you might get lucky too!

View attachment 23138
By any chance do you have a spare one??? If not I'll keep looking.

Glue them on. How do you think they disappear?

No luck yet, I was emailing the seller but couldn't manage to convince him to ship it to me. Ill give him another try.

Try contacting Bigted a VIP trade partner forum member who does 3D printing. He might be able to "print" some new ones.

That could be interesting - I'm sure there's a market (albeit small) for such things...