Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Bike Rack for T6

Andyclockwise

Andyclockwise

VIP Member
I saw a T6 at the weekend with the new style VW bike rack fitted on the back, what can I say, it looks ugly and not at all streamline like the T5 one, a bit of a step backwards. Apparently due to the different tailgate on the T6 it has its own bike rack and they are not interchangeable

12299378_10153772192596660_3891974949711173048_n.jpg

10409012_10153772192656660_6432887188844481469_n.jpg

Can't say I like it much either.

Mark

Thanks, not unlike the fiamma one i had then sold it and bought a thule one that fits on towing hitch

John

7e96f0ae1011c521cda21f8dcf3e3b2b.jpg

Damn that does not look good. By way of comparison one for a T5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fortunately as I need a bike rack and don't have storage i do like the look of the Cali with a bike rack and can handle not looking out the back window.
Unfortunately not so sure I like the look of the one for the T6.

T5 one looks nicely shaped to the Cali made to fit it not the T6 one, very strange. VW need a kick up the a***

Strange and a shame....we really like our VW rack, the new rack seems more like an afterthought rather than part of the van....especially as the new T6s look the part etc...is it definite that the older style rack won't fit?

Ahhhh. .. I guess people struggle in general with change and yes when I saw my T6 with the new bike rack fitted I thought Ahhhh not what I expected, I figured it would be the same as the T5 with modified brackets... However I need the bike rack for practical reasons, I cycle apx 10 thousand miles a year and see the Cali as an aid to my cycling adventures. I didn't want to store a towbar mounted rack and have to mount it on a daily basis so the VW one was a solution. When I'm away for weeks or a weekend my bikes are with me... Rather than the way the bike rack looks, security of my bikes is more of an issue.... but that's another thread.... Happy days.....

I'm with you there I also want my bikes to be secure when I'm travelling. Are you saying it is a better designed rack?

I'm with you there I also want my bikes to be secure when I'm travelling. Are you saying it is a better designed rack?

Mike
I can't comment on the T6 rack design compared to the T5 rack.... I went for a VW rack as I liked the look of the T5 one... LOL... So the design has changed, OK so after the initial visual comparison I accepted the change... My reasons for choosing a fixed rack rather than a tow bar mounted rack.
1) It's always ready and waiting.
2) least cost option
3) No storage issues
4) Quite like the look of the rack on the back
One downside is they are high and when 1st bike is mounted close to the vehicle the top clamp is hard to reach....
Sure many people will point out many other negative points but I'm willing to accept these as a compromise.... After all I would have chosen a LWB Cali Ocean.... but compromised and bought a SWB, as LWB not an option lol..

I'm with you on all those as I have reached the same conclusion for the same reasons. Just a shame they haven't bothered with the aesthetics. Thanks

Looks to me like the arms on that T6 rack are on the wrong way round?

I'm with you on all those as I have reached the same conclusion for the same reasons. Just a shame they haven't bothered with the aesthetics. Thanks

Hey Mike they ain't that bad.... just different and soon to become the norm. Get one if it suits your practical needs..... and let's go and ride the world !!!!! If my bike is still on it when I return from the supermarket that's a bonus LOL.....

Looks to me like the arms on that T6 rack are on the wrong way round?
You are quite correct.. that's how they come out of the box... clearly they haven't transported a bike on that one yet. ...

Was thinking of a rack due to the opportunity of waiting until I really need it i.e taking kid's bikes too when they are older. It is rare to see one with bikes on! How hard is the new one to put on and take off?

Must say I do prefer the VW rack ( new or old style!) to tow bar but that just personal choice....we have found it really easy to use and it's always on the van ready to go...others have a different view I'm sure !

That really does look like and afterthought stuck together with spare parts. No style at all.
Much rather keep the T5. Seems like more and more of the T6 is afterthoughts.

Was thinking of a rack due to the opportunity of waiting until I really need it i.e taking kid's bikes too when they are older. It is rare to see one with bikes on! How hard is the new one to put on and take off?
HI Mchbiker Garage put it on and it is staying on as mine is in use regular ( I wouldn't have spent that sort of money only to use it now and again)... My California is my every day vehicle so if you see me going to work it won't have bikes on, if you see me going shopping it won't have bikes on, if you see me going on a night out it won't have bikes on.... But if you see me going cycling away from home it will have bikes on.... enjoy.....Paul

I also keep my rack on all the time as I don't want the hassle of taking it on and off every time I want a quick bike ride. There's also the issue of storage and potential damage moving it around all the time.

I think the VW T5 bike is the best looking rack out there by far. It follows the lines of the van nicely and imho even enhances the "adventure" look of the van. I can't see why they didn't just subtly alter it for the T6. After all, most of the changes to the T6 itself seem pretty subtle. Instead, they seem to have completely redesigned it and come up with something that, to me, looks like a cross between the cheap Fiamma racks and a bit of scaffolding attached to the back.

Maybe the passage of time soften my view (as it often does with new cars) but I doubt it.

Mark

Back