Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Bike rack or removeable towbar?

Vincent123

Vincent123

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hello, We have just took the plunge and ordered our first ever camper in the form of a T6 (cannot believe we have actually done it).
We have requested a VW bike carrier, however reading various threads on the forum, it seems the removeable Towbar option is popular?
Not sure which way to go - has anybody got experience of either, pros, cons etc.

I have the Altera.
1. Easy to load bicycles.
2. California height still 2m
3. Can open tailgate if children's bikes next to tailgate.
4. With towbar can use trailer etc:

Wouldn't be without it. But it is a personal choice, and is more expensive overall, towbar + rack.

Tow bars are great for stopping people reversing into you :shocked :thumb

Very true.
The best was my Citroen GSA with Hydropneumatic suspension. It had a towbar. Parked up the suspension dropped the vehicle height. If someone parked too close to the back and I started up the engine. Car rose up, and if they were too close then the towbar removed their bumper. :rolleyes:

Personally prefer the towbar type for the reasons stated above (particularly the height one) but you have to pay for the tow bar installation as well as the cost of the bike rack. I thinks ours (early Thule) is slightly different to Welshgas as we can have have a full size bike next to the tailgate and still open it (they swing down if you are wondering how this is accomplished).

Also, you can keep the tow bar type bike rack when you change your van, and there's no chance of damaging the tailgate.

We have the VW one, lots of views on here it seems re alternatives but we love it....secure, flexible (great for drying wet kit), easy to use.....looks good .....as ever, personal choice...

The minus with the towbar rack is that you need to put it somewhere in a garage, when the VW bike rack can be on a car permanently. Sometimes, I use a trailer with a motorcycle on it and a carry a bike or two on a rack at the same time. If you need to buy a towbar bike rack, you cans till do it later. I haven't, yet.

We have the VW one, lots of views on here it seems re alternatives but we love it....secure, flexible (great for drying wet kit), easy to use.....looks good .....as ever, personal choice...
Thanks for your comments - you have said what we probably wanted to hear.

I'm having the same dilemma. Have ordered a towbar so I have the option.
I want to carry four bikes. Can you still open the rear door with bikes on the VW carrier as you can with a tow ball mount? Also with bikes on the VW carrier, can you still get in multi-storey car parks?

We normally just have two bikes, reasonably lightweight and we can open the rear door (it needs holding) for access/ or get the dog out! Someone posted some pics with four bikes on doing this on another thread I think......to be frank it is so quick to put the bikes on/tale them off we sometimes do that. We have a detachable tow bar to tow a boat and all works fine. Which ever rack you get there is always a compromise !

We went for the towbar option hoping to reuse a Thule rack we already owned, but felt it sat too low to the ground and the overall process of putting on the removable towbar, then the rack, the the bikes was a bit of a faff to be honest. Had a VW bike rack installed at COTF this year and feel that we now look like a proper campervan! But horses for courses like everyone else has said :thumb

Have the vw one can't get in multi-storey with them on as they sit above roof line. I would imagine you won't be able to use multi-storey with the tow bar ones due to length of vehicle .

We have just upgraded from an old Thule tow bar mounted one to an Atera.

The Thule one wouldn't let me open the tailgate even with no bikes installed.

Used the Atera today for the first time. We have the 4 bike option.

First time we used it it took ages to get all the bikes on as I had to adjust all the arms and wheel holders. However for the return journey we loaded in no time. The strap mechanisms are really easy and secure.

As mentioned before if the nearest bike to the van has long handlebars then you can't open the boot fully with the rack tilted but you can open it enough to get bits in and out. I imagine twisting the bars, or having a road bike/or kids bike nearest would be fine.

We are well pleased with it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

We have the Atera too. Excellent piece of kit. Doubles up as bike storage in the garage at home and useful when away too as can lock bikes in place off the van. Can also use with our other car.
Our van came with tow bar already fitted, so made the decision much easier. Had it not, I suspect we would have gone for the VW option

Tow bar option is expensive and can't park in normal marked spaces and restricts turning when reversing. Good for pro cyclists with decent parking arrangements. No so good when touring.
Door racks are not perfect either but better for more casual use and touring.
Still looking for a s/h one if anyone has one;)

I've used multiple tow bar racks including Thule, Atera, on cars but now have the vw rack on the van. For us the VW rack is better than them all. You still get access to the boot with care, it's always ready, no tow bar expense, the attachment arms are easy to use though like all racks you do need practice at closing fitting loading. The speed of loading bikes is much better. It does go above 2m and you have to remember this with barriers but not a massive problem. Def the VW rack for us....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VW bike rack problematic on the French Toll Roads with the 2m restricted Toll Lanes.
For Me, as I use my vehicle most days, being able to use Car Parks with a 2m height restriction is more important.:thumb

If in any doubt at all buy the towbar if not the rack for it, it is far cheaper to have it factory fitted than to have it retro fitted.

On my T4, I had the VW rack and now I have a Thule rack which I mount on a towbar.

I think there are pros and cons to each......I like the fact that the VW rack is always there and so there is no 'phaff' attaching it every time you want to use it, but the big benefit in my mind is that your bikes are away from the worst of the road grime.

Whilst I am happy to put mountain bikes of the towbar rack, I would never go any distance with my best road bikes on the towbar rack, because of road grime and the potential for debris to be thrown up and damage them :(

Now, when I take my best road bikes away, they go in a bike bag inside the camper - that's right, they are spoilt and I am obsessive :eek:

Does the VW rack come with locks or do you have to use your own?

The longest, 3rd arm has a locking handle on mine - bikes inside the third one would be fairly trapped in. However, We always put a light lock on for traveling and if parking/camping anywhere use several strong locks (depending on location and bikes!). The rack itself is only secured upright in the empty position by nylon straps which seems interesting but in fact works fine.

We travel with two adult road bikes on the VW rack. In the evening we take them from the rack, put a cover over them and chain them round one of the alloy wheels.

I figure that if someone tries to nick them we're pretty sure to notice when they start jacking up the van to take the wheel off!!

Does the VW rack come with locks or do you have to use your own?
No you have to use your own I use a couple of kryptonite cables for security with strong padlocks. The locking knobs that vw do are useless.

Mine on the T4 had locks on the clamp at the end of each arm - presume the current ones are the same ??

I like to be able to see out of the rear window when driving. I can do this with the towbar rack. We don't use it that often though so it works for us. The thule rack is well made but very heavy. Definitely a two man job to attach.