Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Bike Rack Protective Stickers

jamesC

jamesC

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I have just removed my vw bike rack to give my van a lovely spring clean, and have decided to remove the protective stickers, which to be honest, were not put on particularly carefully and were attracting mud of their own!

Two questions, firstly, has anybody any experience of using the rack without the stickers, does it cause a major issue??

Secondly, It would seem the stickers are available as a part from VW, I notice a previous post mentioning that these were available from SMG for about £20, but I wondered if anybody had the OEM part number and/or up to date price for these? (maybe these could be another simple product to offer in the forum shop)

Thanks

James

Funny you should mention this, we have this on order and should be in the shop by Tuesday.

Yeah, indeed, funny how such things go!
We just removed the old stickers yesterday. The kit had turned yellow, and some stuck to the paint. Removed it carefully with sticker remover, and then we repolished/waxed the parts of the body where we had used the sticker remover. After a few days we will stick on the new stickers.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

Martin said:
Funny you should mention this, we have this on order and should be in the shop by Tuesday.

Excellent news!!... I guess it is that time of year!!

I was talking to Steve at SMG about these only this morning. The ones on my van have been poorly applied and lifted/creased, so they need to be replaced.

I understand you can buy a bike rack fitting kit at 20.83 + vat, but there's clearly no point if you've got them available as individual items. Could you let us know when you've got them in stock? Cheers

Martyn

Martin said:

I've not noticed these in the shop yet... any idea of an ETA??

Hi Just reading through this thread because mine need replacing.
Question If the Amazon 3M tape mentioned above is too thin at 200 microns and you need tape 300-500 microns, then couldn't you use two layers of the Amazon 3M tape? :help

That should work if you double up, we are having real trouble finding anything thicker enough so that may be the way forward and work out cheaper.

Thanks
I have been doing some digging and all i can find is 220 micron thick on ebay. called Helicopter Bike Frame Protection. so will go with double thickness. :cool:

I've used 320 micron film on a number of other things...

Think I'll order some more up and see how it performs in this application.

Rgds
M

A company has got back to me that can do 500 micron tape, it comes on reels of 5 metres which are 5cm in width, before I dismantle my bike rack does anyone know what size is required to do an entite bike rack?

the strips along the top are 8cm wide by 15cm long the two at the bottom are smaller so I didn't measure them, just need to cut down to fit.
not sure if a 5cm strip will be wide enough

Graham

gmymsx said:
the strips along the top are 8cm wide by 15cm long the two at the bottom are smaller so I didn't measure them, just need to cut down to fit.
not sure if a 5cm strip will be wide enough

Graham

Thank you Graham, I will see if we can obrain 10cm width.

I'll be making some templates next week to replace mine.

We removed our bike rack for the first time last week to find the top stickers are badly aligned and the bottom stickers are missing. I suggest that if you're buying a rack with a new van don't ask the dealer to fit it, as you will take more care than they will.

Any tips on the cheapest place to get these stickers?

Its more of a case of where can you buy them from rather than where is the cheapest
vw or the club shop

117B03D3-08A1-432B-BA08-34B76F48DF99.png flea bay, various pre cut protective film for different areas and offer various thickness etc

Back