Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW bike rack & tailgate

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Can anyone please tell me if the tailgate will stay up with the VW rack and two mountain bikes on.

We already have a detachable towbar and have a Thule tilting towbar mounted rack so just debating the pros and cons of each system. If the tailgate won't stay up with the bikes on then it will probably make sense to use the tow bar one.
The other problem with the VW rack is that with the bikes on it looks like it will significantly increase the overall height and possible create more drag and make the mpg worse.

Yes our tailgate will stay open with 2 bikes on it, however it is better in summer when the gas struts work more efficiently. In winter I tend to hold it up while my other half gets stuff out of the boot. I also hold onto the cross bar along the back of the carrier when closing the boot so it does not slam shut so hard. There are different stuts (as mentioned in the bike rack instructions) you can buy but mine came with the uprated ones anyway (think all Calis do). But make no mistake the boot is heavy when loaded with bikes and again the cross bar is handy to help lift the hatch rather than use the boot lid handle .

Not noticed much difference in MPG although people have said it does detrimentally affect economy.

What I have noticed is that if the roof is up the handlebars hit the raised roof if you try and open the boot lid fully. I had to swivel the bars on one bike to stop this.

The one thing I do think is the Cali looks better for the VW rack as it looks less van like. It is also well made and makes a half decent towel rack as well.

John

Thanks John.
I've managed to get hold of one so I'll give it a try although our tailgate just about stays up now with the topper and awning sidescreens in with the chairs so I'm not hopeful. :thanks