Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

vw bike rack v atera linea

simba

simba

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi we have just linked up with a lovely cali...it could be love! After checking around the two bike racks above are coming to the fore - ahead of towbar options which are stacking up prohibitively. The VW one is quite expensive and 'over-provides' for 4 bikes (we need 2). It is undoubtedly high quality. The atera is also very well made and is nearer the mark of 3 spaces (only 1 over!). Apparently atera makes the VW carrier and also ones for BMW etc.. Any thoughts / experiences out there about quality etc? the atera is cheaper - £354, where as the VW comes in at £460ish.

I have the Aterea Linea and prefer it to what I have seen of the Vw one. Quality is first rate and it's easy to put on and take off when required. Under 5 mins for either operation. 2 bikes fit easily, Have done 3 adult bikes on occasions but need to arrange well to avoid clashing handlebars or pedals. It probably sits closer to the tailgate window when folded so need to be careful that the wiper arm is not obstructed. (Simple strap needed).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should have added that the Linea won't fit if you have gone for the chrome pack on the lower edge of the tailgate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic - I can see our direction of travel.....but 2 further queries...how secure is the rack on the back? Just checking on the tailgate wiper comment - does using the tailgate render the wiper inoperative?

Having tried both, as well as the fiamma, I would go for the vw rack. We only carry two bikes, but the vw rack is so well made and fits properly (no selection of adapters), it's worth the extra.

Fantastic - I can see our direction of travel.....but 2 further queries...how secure is the rack on the back? Just checking on the tailgate wiper comment - does using the tailgate render the wiper inoperative?

Its very secure, I've driven across to Austria / Across France / Dutch / German Border with bikes on the back without any problems or movement of the rack or bikes.
The rear wiper is completely operative with the rack on (either with bikes or folded up). The comment was that with the rack on but folded the 3 clamping arms are close to the wiper as it sweeps the screen. There is the potential that if they (the bike clamping arms) swing forward they could foul the wiper. Never happened to me but as a safeguard I strap the arms against the wheel support trays when the rack is folded.

thanks for that - sounds sensible. I think my final query is around the security of both racks (against being nicked). I understand the Atera has a bar inside the tubes that locks with a type of hex nit. Is the VW rack secure agianst theft......

again final strands in decision process!

tI understand the Atera has a bar inside the tubes that locks with a type of hex nit.

At the bottom of the Atera the fitting is done by tightening up a splined nut which causes one short tube to slide inside the main tubes. This nut can only be accessed when the tailgate is open preventing the theft of the rack itself. A thief would also need the special splined socket key.

On the off chance that you are a member of the CTC (now Cycling UK) I think they have a 5% discount code for roofbox.co.uk

I'm thinking of selling my lovely folding Brompton and buying the Atera Linea (Oh....and an impossibly light, normal-size-wheel, possibly electric, unobtrusive bike!). We only carry one or two bikes, so the VW bike rack seems overkill. Some questions, though:
1. Any issues with lifting the tailgate? In some weathers, I struggle to lift the boot because the hydraulics get claggy (technical term). Will it be even harder with a rack and two bikes?
2. Can we have the roof up with bikes on?
3. Is it a hassle fixing the bikes in place, parking, driving etc? I do like a neat Cali and I'm a-afeared a bike rack will make me all messy!
4. And if you're still with me here....what bike do I put on the rack!

I'm thinking of selling my lovely folding Brompton and buying the Atera Linea (Oh....and an impossibly light, normal-size-wheel, possibly electric, unobtrusive bike!). We only carry one or two bikes, so the VW bike rack seems overkill. Some questions, though:
1. Any issues with lifting the tailgate? In some weathers, I struggle to lift the boot because the hydraulics get claggy (technical term). Will it be even harder with a rack and two bikes?
For ref the road bikes I carry (up to 3) are around 7 to -10kg. Mountain bikes (up to 2) around 13 to 15kg. So total of approx 30kg
In cold weather it might need a bit of assistance to lift completely and possibly also a prop to hold it up. Depends on a lot of factors though, temp, weight of the bike(s), which position(wheel tray) are in use and also how much other stuff you have in the tailgate, i.e chairs/toppers/groundsheets.
2. Can we have the roof up with bikes on?
possibly, again depends on the bike. Be aware that the bike handlebars can sometimes get very close or touch the roof when both are opened.
3. Is it a hassle fixing the bikes in place, parking, driving etc? I do like a neat Cali and I'm a-afeared a bike rack will make me all messy!
Fixing is easy with one bike, more than that you get into a routine and end up knowing which way to arrange the bikes so various bits dont touch.
Driving the view through the rear window might be obscured a bit but never really a problem. Need to be aware that any parking sensors dont take account of the extra length but often the rack will clear a cars bonnet anyway. Eurotunnel parked a Ferrari very close to my rear bumper once with the rack & 2 bikes suspended over his bonnet. :eek:
Its going to look a bit messier than a 'clean' Cali. Shows its a leisure vehicle rather than 'just a van' .
4. And if you're still with me here....what bike do I put on the rack!
No idea on elec assist bikes, sorry. Are the batteries removable? If so the weight on the rack could be minimised by storing the batteries in the Cali.